Central OH groups?

Mr. 0

I know there are smaller caching groups for more regional areas, such as NEOgeocachers for NE Ohio...do we have anything like that, or a site for central OH?

Mr. 0

"Remember that nature and the elements are neither your friend or your enemy - they are actually disinterested."

Department of the Army Field Manual FM 21-76 "Survival" Oct. 1970

at a picnic that was organized by a central ohio cacher. It happened to be the first OSU home game that day, so it took me 4.5 hours to get to the picnic (3 Rivers Park) instead of the 2.25 it should have taken.

There seems to be a fairly active core down there, and I'm sure they'll start speaking up, after the OSU euphoria dies off... icon_biggrin.gif

Cache well, and see ya round the bend...

I would defintley be interested,met rayt333 at a picnic in Newark,and sherwoodforest at three rivers picnic.there are plenty of geocachers here in cols,we just need to get organized.treasure hunters inc would probably be another group interested since they were at both get togethers i went to

Sounds good to me....maybe we all should get together and work out the details?

Mr. 0

"Remember that nature and the elements are neither your friend or your enemy - they are actually disinterested."

With my current position I work every 3rd saturday (Feb 1 would be the next sat I work.) So just about any weekend works for me, and if I have to be at work on a saturday, I can make it out after 6:00. I'm thinking if we're planning on doing an evening meeting, maybe we go somewhere for dinner...maybe a pizza joint, or something like that. I'm all about eating. icon_biggrin.gif

Mr. 0

Ok let's shoot for Feb 2 at 5:00 just so we can get that set and marked on the calendar. I'll get back to everyone soon on a location, as I'm going to try to find something out east to be a little closer for Rayt333 and T.H.I., and I'm not that familiar with the area...Any suggestions for the Reynoldsburg/Gahanna area?

Mr. 0

quote:
Originally posted by rayt333:

Also could we do this maybe late Sat (Feb 1) evening? or earlier on Sunday afternoon?

My Wife goes to work on Sunday evening at 11 PM so she likes to get at least some sleep before going to work.

Either of those work for me. I'm working Sat Feb 1, but like I said I'd be out of here at 6:00p so I could be over there by 6:30ish. Or eariler sunday works for me too.....which would be best for you?

Mr. 0

That'll work...also I forgot to mention in my last post, Brice Rd. or the Pickerington would work just fine I think. Is there anything like a Donatos out there? Or maybe like a Bob Evans, something like that?

Mr. 0

Glad I checked back in when I did!

I'm still on the job hunt, so I've taken a hiatis on running my car out of gas in search of priceless treasure, especially when the last five trip ended having to report removals.

Anyway, if someone would be so kind as to remind me when the event approaches. I'd love to be there and see what everyone's been up to. I'm going to try to populate Marysville with Micros tomorrow and that was why I checked in. Keep your ears to the pavement.

Ben

quote:
Originally posted by Jacksons:

there is a Bob Evans just north of I-70 at brice rd,(I can get the lat/lon).also a T-jays there

I'm a man and I can change if I have to,I guess.

That would be great if you can get the coordinates! icon_cool.gif

Mr. 0

quote:
Originally posted by Bjorn74:

Glad I checked back in when I did!

I'm still on the job hunt, so I've taken a hiatis on running my car out of gas in search of priceless treasure, especially when the last five trip ended having to report removals.

Anyway, if someone would be so kind as to remind me when the event approaches. I'd love to be there and see what everyone's been up to. I'm going to try to populate Marysville with Micros tomorrow and that was why I checked in. Keep your ears to the pavement.

Ben

I'll shoot an e-mail your way next Wednesday or so, to remind you about it.

Mr. 0

I'm on it...I'll have it up here in a few! icon_cool.gif

EDIT: It's posted and approved.

Mr. 0

[This message was edited by Mr. 0 on January 22, 2003 at 10:31 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Rabid Bunny:

Hey Mr. 0,

Just wondering what kind of topics will be discussed. Is it going to be to a swap stories and socialize function or is the goal to form an actual group. If an actual group were to be formed, what ideas did you have in mind for the function of said group? Just curious.

http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/tiere/imurevenge.gif

Feral Cacher

I see it as a little of both, but leaning more towards setting the foundation for starting a central OH group. The purpose I think is really open to one's individual interpretation, but what I would like to see come of a group bonding is

1) a better relationship with local, state, national etc parks and services. To that end I was contacted by a gentleman from the ODNR who is eager to attend and give us a better understanding of their position on geocaching. I think this will be a great opportunity to gain knowledge and open an opportunity to allow the ODNR to have a better understanding of what we do. If we can work hand-in-hand with the ODNR then that'll allow us to better respect the areas in which we place caches, and also give them a better expectation of what to expect when we ask permission to place a cache. I hope, in time, to develop a relationship with the ODNR, akin to the relationship the NEOgeocachers have with the Cleveland Metroparks.

2) Assistance. There are a lot of new folks out there, and I know that many of them may not be willing to post in the forums for help. Plus some questions may be area specific. So what better way to get help than from the more seasoned veterans, at a regular gathering.

3) Expansion. I know this is a double edged sword. Some people see expansion as a bad thing because they want things to remain the same. However the way I see it, growth is inevitable, and for me, welcomed. So I think that as and organized group we can better boost the growth of Geocaching in Central Ohio.

And uhhh there were some other things that I was thinking of, but can't remember right now (I'm at work, got interrupted, and lost my train of thought). Basically what it boils down to is that, in my mind at least, there is more opportunity for organized groups, than for individuals.

I know you're on the forums with some frequency, but here are some links to other "regional" caching groups, if you wanted to get an idea of what they're doing. There are a lot more, but this is what I came up with real quick.

Michigan Geocaching Organization

Washington State Geocaching Association

Official Geocaching Resource of Arizona

Mr. 0

Would really like to get involved with your group. Got room for one more at Bob Evans? Got a little experiance at caching, and sure would like to get some caches going in some areas that are not allowed because of no understanding of Geocaching. Hey Busboy, are you gonna go to the gettogether. Maybe we can meet up again!! Seeker BP

Ok, here's the deal with the Geocache meeting tomorrow. The better half is going to head over there around 6:30 to put a name in and make sure they know we're coming. I called ahead yesterday and they said that there would be no problem with a group our size. To make it easy she's going to put in the name "cache" so just tell the host/hostess that you're looking for the "cache" party.

Mr. 0

So what is everybody's thoughts about future meetings being held in that general area? Was this convenient for everyone?

Mr. 0

Another place we were discussing was at Gander Mountain, there is a conference or meeting room there that they may let us use to have a meeting. And it would probably be good PR for their business.

Maybe if you could give the manager a call and run it by him/her and see what their thoughts are.

What kind of time frame are you looking at for meetings? maybe every other month? 3 months?

quote:
Originally posted by rayt333:

Another place we were discussing was at Gander Mountain, there is a conference or meeting room there that they may let us use to have a meeting. And it would probably be good PR for their business.

Maybe if you could give the manager a call and run it by him/her and see what their thoughts are.

What kind of time frame are you looking at for meetings? maybe every other month? 3 months?

Yeah, Gander Mountain was one spot, and the Jacksons also mentioned that their church was just down the road too and would probably let us meet there. I like Gander Mountain from the PR aspect, but it would depend on cost if there is any involved. That's something I can check on this week.

I was thinking somewhere along the lines of probably every 3 months for a meeting. I know that a lot of us are very busy, and when we're not we'd rather be out there caching, so I wouldn't want to take up everybody's time. icon_biggrin.gif

Mr. 0

Reynoldsburg is just shy of an hour for me to get to. Knowing people from the North of town, I think We'd be better off finding a place more central than so far East.

Would Sabo's have a room off of Olentangy or maybe Chem Abs or one of the Universities?

I've also had events at Brazenhead in Grandview, but that makes it less kid friendly, even though it probably would be fun for them if it was a slow night with less smoking.

Oh, yeah. I placed 5 caches yesterday and have about 10 more queued up. You'll all have to drive to my neck of the woods, though. icon_cool.gif

We don't know the Columbus metro area as well as any of you do, but Brice road is about 1/2 hour drive for us Buckeye Lake swamp creatures. Don't know where some of the other suggestions are located yet. We wouldn't mind if the location was moved a little further west or north though. If there are a few of places that will allow us to meet there for no cost maybe we could rotate back and forth between a couple.

$1000 Bill geocaching is living in a 30 foot circle

Basically the reason I picked the east side of town is because there were a few people coming in from that side....I know that Rayt333 made the trip in all the way from Cambridge, so I was trying to make it a little easier for them. With the folks coming in from the east, that was more central for everyone who was confirmed at the time that we decided.

Mr. 0

Well I guess there's nothing saying we have to stay in the same place everytime. Especially during the summer months, as we know, there are plenty of parks all over that we could meet at.

Mr. 0