GeoTour Notifications

Wet Pancake Touring Club

The GeoTours that I have done have been great! So great, that I would like to be notified whenever a new GeoTour is created.

I was initially going to ask that a feature that would notify me whenever a new GeoTour is added. But I realized that GeoTour was also a cache attribute, and I could create a pocket query to accomplish something similar. I setup a pocket query for attribute GeoTour, and it appeared to work. Further research indicated that a few caches that were part of a GeoTour that were not marked with the GeoTour attribute.

I am asking that either part of the GeoTour posting process be updating the GeoTour attribute on all caches, or add a feature to be notified when new GeoTours are added.

Thanks much, Skye.

P.S., pass on to the Marketing Department that I will go out of my way, including scheduling vacations, just to do a GeoTour that has some kind of prize, like a GeoCoin. I did two of the GeoTours out of Eugene, OR, and am hooked on the concept. Lots more fun that finding a film canister in a parking lot!

Hello Wet Pancake.

I'm happy to hear that you like the GeoTours a lot. :) That makes my day! Your solution (and observation about) the GeoTour attribute is a very good one.

We haven't created an Instant Notify Tool yet for GeoTours since there are not so many of these for now. There are currently 32 live in our Global Directory. Take a look:

http://www.geocaching.com/geotours

We do post on our Facebook wall as GeoTours go live. Those posts are often limited to the region around that GeoTour. So for example, someone in Seattle (like me) might not see the announcement about the recently-launched Birthplace of Texas GeoTour. But those in Texas and neighboring states would. As the volume of GeoTours increase, it will make sense to incorporate something into the more mature Instant Notify Tool.

Thanks for the kind words. I frequent the GeoTours page a lot, looking to see what is new.

I don't do Facebook, and when it come to GeoTours, my 'region' is fairly large. My current GeoTour pocket query search radius is 1500 miles (for me, a two day drive). I don't make it any larger, as I don't want to include Mexico (but I do want Canada). So, if you do add an Instant Notify tool, please include the ability to limit notification for GeoTours in select countries, states/provinces, continents, etc., along with a simple radius.

Thanks again, Skye.