Coming Soon: Eye of the Dragon

fox-and-the-hound

I promised Yanagi I'd post some news and it took a little longer than I wanted, but samples should be here in a couple hours! :D

TheGreedofDragonsTeaser_zpscb017bc9.jpg

It's been a long time in planning and we're almost ready! I'll share more shortly, but with the greed of Smaug on everyone's mind since the weekend it seemed appropriate ;)

We've been sitting on a secret... for over 6 months! Do you remember The Waldgeist geocoin? Do you remember the incredible 3d and insane amount of depth of that design? Well it was really a test for something that would be bigger, more complex and even more fun. Now after months and months of meticulous planning, multiple die cuts at the factory and a bit of collaboration with some good friends, the results will soon be revealed. Stay tuned for updates as more news is revealed about one of my latest crazy ideas made real with the help of GxProxy.com.

Trackable at Geocaching.com with

Custom Icon

2" x ?mm (waiting for sample to measure, but about 7-8+mm)

3 piece construction

3-4 Two-tone finishes

Trans enamels

Side A:2d

Side B:2d + 3d + 3d

Edge Molded Tracking

While attending numerous events the last couple years I noticed something unusual in normal circles, but particularly common among geocachers... A slight squinting of the eyes, a defensive posture of protection (over mysterious containers that appear quite heavy sometimes), a slightly feverish flush to the skin and occasionally some slight tremors of limbs in their excitement. Clearly, these people must be geocoin enthusiasts! :laughing: Just look at them huddled together tighter than a Superbowl team with 10 seconds left on the clock. Look how fast their hands move as they shuffle their treasures about. Look at them holding them up to the light just so to make out the details. They're staring each other down like cage fighters... but wait... they've just shook hands! They're all smiles and congratulating each other on their trades as they move on in search of new treasure when just seconds ago they look like a pack of ravenous Dragons! This is surely the magic of geocoins in all its glory ;) Seems like a good idea for a coin... :ph34r:

Edited by Flying Spaghetti Monster

I promised Yanagi I'd post some news and it took a little longer than I wanted, but samples should be here in a couple hours! :D

It's been a long time in planning and we're almost ready! I'll share more shortly, but with the greed of Smaug on everyone's mind since the weekend it seemed appropriate ;)

We've been sitting on a secret... for over 6 months! Do you remember The Waldgeist geocoin? Do you remember the incredible 3d and insane amount of depth of that design? Well it was really a test for something that would be bigger, more complex and even more fun. Now after months and months of meticulous planning, multiple die cuts at the factory and a bit of collaboration with some good friends, the results will soon be revealed. Stay tuned for updates as more news is revealed about one of my latest crazy ideas made real with the help of GxProxy.com.

Custom Icon

3 piece construction

3-4 Two-tone finishes

Trans enamels

Edge Molded Tracking

While attending numerous events the last couple years I noticed something unusual in normal circles, but particularly common among geocachers... A slight squinting of the eyes, a defensive posture of protection (over mysterious containers that appear quite heavy sometimes), a slightly feverish flush to the skin and occasionally some slight tremors of limbs in their excitement. Clearly, these people must be geocoin enthusiasts! :laughing: Just look at them huddled together tighter than a Superbowl team with 10 seconds left on the clock. Look how fast their hands move as they shuffle their treasures about. Look at them holding them up to the light just so to make out the details. They're staring each other down like cage fighters... but wait... they've just shook hands! They're all smiles and congratulating each other on their trades as they move on in search of new treasure when just seconds ago they look like a pack of ravenous Dragons! This is surely the magic of geocoins in all its glory ;) Seems like a good idea for a coin... :ph34r:

who are these people you speak of...I will try my best to avoid them !

ILYK

ILYL

The samples arrived and we're VERY excited! It's big, thick and highly detailed. The 3d is very deep, but not quite as deep as I expected (only about 2.5mm). Oddly, I thought it might be a detriment, but on examining from multiple angles I realized it actually worked MUCH better. The detail is so fine I can actually see the veins and arteries in the wings! :grin:

I'll be busy today working out additional finishes and enamels, but for now I thought I'd leave you another teaser since no one noticed yet... there's an easter egg style hint in the banner in post 1 as to part of what's coming within this design :ph34r:

edit to clarify: The 3d I mentioned is only 2.5mm additional to the base 3d

Edited by fox-and-the-hound

The samples arrived and we're VERY excited! It's big, thick and highly detailed. The 3d is very deep, but not quite as deep as I expected (only about 2.5mm). Oddly, I thought it might be a detriment, but on examining from multiple angles I realized it actually worked MUCH better. The detail is so fine I can actually see the veins and arteries in the wings! :grin:

I'll be busy today working out additional finishes and enamels, but for now I thought I'd leave you another teaser since no one noticed yet... there's an easter egg style hint in the banner in post 1 as to part of what's coming within this design :ph34r:

edit to clarify: The 3d I mentioned is only 2.5mm additional to the base 3d

I see something in the eye. Am I close? unsure.gif

CF30

Custom Icon

3 piece construction

3-4 Two-tone finishes

Trans enamels

Edge Molded Tracking

who are these people you speak of...I will try my best to avoid them !

ILYK

ILYL

I don't know of who he speaks of.... Baahaaaha :ph34r:

Okay, I finally had a chance to grab some pics so here's a little snippet to hold you over for the holiday. Had some wonderful confirmation that our illustrations were right on par with Smaug and would please even his vanity! :grin:

SweetTease_zps91bbdf8f.jpg

Shakes head and wonders if he will ever not be a geocoin addict with designs like this! (couldn't find an emotion for this :huh: )

I like dragons... Maybe not particularily Smaug, but dragons are OK in general.

Please put me on the subscription list for a full set.

I second that.

I'd like a whole set and I just hope, they won't be for sale while I'm on holidays and without internet.

Yes, there is something like that when I'm on the road without fixed abode for a fortnight...

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Thanks for the early votes of confidence everybody! I've been back and forth with the mint all through Christmas Eve, Christmas and yesterday getting the details worked out. I'm hoping to hear from them again today so we can move forward to minting this week **fingers crossed** and show more pictures :) GxProxy.com is producing this particular design and it should be available very soon. We were hoping to have them in time for the Holiday, but decided getting it perfect was more important than getting it fast so we opted for samples in hand. I'm glad we did, too because I had to make a change for the reverse side that will pump up the contrast! Have a great weekend and I'll update as soon as I can on the available finishes. :santa:

Thanks for the early votes of confidence everybody! I've been back and forth with the mint all through Christmas Eve, Christmas and yesterday getting the details worked out. I'm hoping to hear from them again today so we can move forward to minting this week **fingers crossed** and show more pictures :) GxProxy.com is producing this particular design and it should be available very soon. We were hoping to have them in time for the Holiday, but decided getting it perfect was more important than getting it fast so we opted for samples in hand. I'm glad we did, too because I had to make a change for the reverse side that will pump up the contrast! Have a great weekend and I'll update as soon as I can on the available finishes. :santa:

It all sounds and looks (from what we can see so far) amazing. :wub: I Can't wait.

Okay, I finally approved the last blueprint and they're in production!!! :grin:

Here's an update on the finishes that will be available:

Version A)Silver Dragon - Part A: 3D/2D Two-tone Antique Nickel on Shiny Gold Base / Part B: 3D Antique Nickel / Part C: 2D Shiny Silver Trans Green

Version B )Gold Dragon - Part A: 3D/2D Two-tone Antique Gold on Shiny Nickel Base / Part B: 3D Antique Gold / Part C: 2D Shiny Silver Trans Green

Version C)Copper Dragon - Part A: 3D/2D Two-tone Antique Copper on Shiny Gold Base / Part B: 3D Antique Copper / Part C: 2D Shiny Silver Trans Green

Version D)Bronze Dragon - Part A: 3D/2D Two-tone Antique Bronze on Shiny Copper Base / Part B: 3D Antique Copper / Part C: 2D Shiny Silver Trans Green

There's rumor of another version, but it remains to be seen if it shall pass :ph34r:

Custom Icon

3 piece construction

3-4 Two-tone finishes

Trans enamels in IHE finish

Side B:[2d + 3d] + 3d

Edge Molded Tracking

Hopefully we'll have finished products very soon and we can finally show what we've been up to! :)