Local caches

Armsey

Morning all, just out of interest i did a search for caches within a 10 mile radius from my home and found there where 511 caches.

I thought it might be interesting to see how that compares to others, I know this will vary widely depending on your location.

238 for me. I've been to a few places where there were no caches within 50 miles.

It's not quite working so well in Denmark, but it's not off by too much. Anyway, using 16km for 10 miles I get:

Total Records: 3115 - Page: 1 of 156

Beat that! B)

Just check that the site isn't treating your 16km as 16 miles :(

I thought the total from my original calculation was a bit on the high side so I plotted the final cache in the list on Google Earth and used the ruler tool to measure the distance in miles to my house - and it was 16 miles rather than 10.

23 at one house, though I had to do a search by postal code since it wouldn't recognize my address, the address of the nearby post office, or the address of the town office. Apparently we don't exist.

129 at the other house, though I also had to search by postal code there. Neither of my addresses exist!!

Gee, I feel a little left out.... only 56 caches, and 17 16 are mine!

EDIT to add: perhaps it is because north of me is only Lake Superior, so nearly 1/2 of the area is 100% cache-free. East from here, the Picture Rocks National Lakeshore (NPS administration) negates another large area for cache placement -- there are a few Earthcaches within.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

Morning all, just out of interest i did a search for caches within a 10 mile radius from my home and found there where 511 caches.

I thought it might be interesting to see how that compares to others, I know this will vary widely depending on your location.

846 from my location. As I live in Toronto, along the shore of Lake Ontario, it is only a semi-circle .

10Miles_zpsd956f214.jpg

Edited by Nonsuch30

Right now, there are 2046 caches within 10 miles of my home, including everything (439 that I've found, 1 of my owned caches, disabled caches, upcoming events, etc.). That also includes a few square miles of the San Francisco Bay, where the cache density is fairly low (but not zero).

I live in Anchorage, Alaska. I knew we had a lot of caches in the anchorage bowl and Chugach mountains, but was shock to find out how many.

1450 caches within 10 miles of my home cords. We're really starting to get an active communitee of cachers here, and there seems to be more and more joining the ranks, and placing caches......ya gotta like that :)

i did a search for caches within a 10 mile radius from my home and found there where 511 caches.

How did you do that?

Play/hide & seek a cache/locate the nearest geocaches in your area/10 mile radius/go/at the top will read ‘total records’

10 mile radius around what? It won't accept an address (used to). Are you using postal code?...cords?

i did a search for caches within a 10 mile radius from my home and found there where 511 caches.

How did you do that?

Play/hide & seek a cache/locate the nearest geocaches in your area/10 mile radius/go/at the top will read 'total records'

10 mile radius around what? It won't accept an address (used to). Are you using postal code?...cords?

I went to the hide and seek a cache page, entered a city, state name in the "by Address" field, changed the 100 to a 10 in the miles radius field and clicked on go.

There was an issue reported recently about the by Address field not recognizing a full address (though it was in a small town) and it was reported that GS rotates geocoding services and may be using one that doesn't work well with specific addresses. I have found that a city, state or city, country almost always returns a location. For the purposes of this thread (local caches) I don't think it's necessary that the location is the actual address for ones home location, but if that's what you want you can enter lat/long coordinates into the appropriate form element and set the radius at 10 miles. That's what I did when I was looking up San Jose, Costa Rica. The Geocoding service was returning a location outside the city center where there were no caches within 10 miles.

How did you do that?

Play/hide & seek a cache/locate the nearest geocaches in your area/10 mile radius/go/at the top will read 'total records'

I went to the hide and seek a cache page, entered a city, state name in the "by Address" field, changed the 100 to a 10 in the miles radius field and clicked on go.

There was an issue reported recently about the by Address field not recognizing a full address (though it was in a small town) and it was reported that GS rotates geocoding services and may be using one that doesn't work well with specific addresses. I have found that a city, state or city, country almost always returns a location. For the purposes of this thread (local caches) I don't think it's necessary that the location is the actual address for ones home location, but if that's what you want you can enter lat/long coordinates into the appropriate form element and set the radius at 10 miles. That's what I did when I was looking up San Jose, Costa Rica. The Geocoding service was returning a location outside the city center where there were no caches within 10 miles.

Thanks. Losing search by address is probably the only site blunder that bothers me on an on-going basis...1016 from center of town.

467 caches within 10 miles of my home coords (plus about 10 on my Ignore list). That is despite a large river that goes through the city where I live and the nearby ocean and the nearby ocean (about 5 miles as the crow flies).

106 of those I don't own and haven't found (probably 90 of which I have no intention of looking for).

There are 427 caches from my home coords. There were 3 when I started.

Of those 427, I own (or co own) 30 of them. I have found 294 of them (not including all of the archived ones over the years).

It makes it more difficult, but more fun, to keep up on the nearby caches, because I live at the base of the Cascades. A lot of the caches on my nearby unfound list are hiking caches, or on long drives.

If you're having troubles entering your home address, just go to your profile page and look in the right hand column. There is a link to show all caches near your home coordinates; click that. Then, edit the URL in your browser's address bar by adding "&dist=10" (without the quotes) at the end of the URL.

You can do that trick on any search results list. Another similar trick is to add "&f=1" to any search results URL, so that it only shows caches you haven't found.