Tick Alert!!

Guest Joansky130

Guest Joansky130

As a newcomer to geocaching, I read a lot of remarks regarding mosquitos. This got me thinking about ticks. When I visit my parents in TN, my family and I are always picking them up just by walking around through areas very similiar to where we are looking for caches up here in Michigan. It came to mind that we also should be checking for ticks when we are through looking for a cache in the woods. My brother picked up Rocky Mountain Fever from the tiniest tick in TN. So please, dress properly to avoid ticks and if necessary, use spray that specifies protection from ticks. I just want everyone to stay healthy. Take care!!

Guest Markwell

s, "Front Line" seems to work pretty well, but the directions say to apply it every 1-3 months. 3 months is fine for fleas in Chicago, but the vets say EVERY THIRTY DAYS in tick country.

As for humans, I just visited Chattanooga on the weekend of June 8 and went caching. If you really get into tick country, you should be doing things like tucking your pants into your socks and wearing work gloves, etc. However, Off now makes a pretty good product. I have to laugh at the name: Ticks Off. Funny as the name is, it is Off made especially to ward off ticks - we used it on our cache experience, and while my wife got chewed by mosquitos, neither one of us got a single tick from 3 hours of hiking in a pocket wilderness (see "HAWG" cache).

I do know that it freaked me out to visit the "Accelerator" cache in Chicago suburbs and find 3 ticks on me and 2 on my five year old (no fastened on yet).