someone giving out my codes to log?

sparklefingers

Okay so I have one coin that I bought from America thats currently being logged as being at the european geocoinfest.

Since I got it, it hasn't left my collection, I haven't given out the code and it's not on show in any pictures. It's only been to one event and only my friends have discovered it.

How could the code have been copied? How are they discovering it? :/

At this moment in time I am deleting the logs but they keep coming. :(

Edit due to the fact that I am silly and can't spell

Edited by sparklefingers

I'll throw out 2 possible options.

1. If your coin has a generic code start (or any start technically), such as "PC", the codes can get duplicated at the factory. One company's run of PC codes can sometimes find a typo and become a duplicate to another series on accident. It's uncommon, but certainly happens. You could email one of the false loggers, and ask where they got the code. If they are honestly logging it, they're usually happy to tell you. Sometimes you can get a replacement coin from the company you bought it from if that happens.

2. Lots of people have nothing better to do than to just start typing in random codes and then logging any activated coin to get the icon. Check their profile, and you can easily see those people by the fact they log hundreds of trackables all over the world in an hour. Those people need to get reported to Groundspeak.

TMA

all the logs are in different languages but all say prague geocoinfest… worst thing is none of the have answered so far.

to be honest I don't know who I bought it from as it was last year I bought it now. but it's this one. http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=2742114

It does have a PC number so maybe one of the loggers tried random numbers and then handed it out? I don't know but It's annoying me. I have now deleted all the logs.

What I think might have happened: sometimes when you mistype a tracking code, it ends up to be the tracking code for another geocoin. On some events the organizers compile a list of all the TBs, coins that were there and send it to all participants who want it (I think it is a terrible custom, discovery means to me that I actually touch the coin). So, maybe someone mistyped another coin's code and included the wrong code (your code) on the list. Now, all the event participant who got the list, log your coin. They don't remember the coin anyway, so they cannot catch the mistake.

I would keep deleting their logs, too. :-)

That it's being discovered by more than one individual seems to imply that either there is a coin out there sharing your tracking number or your tracking # has found its way onto a discovery list is being passed around.

One ways around this is to delete all the logs and that should bring out the owner of the other coin with "your" tracking number and between the two of you find a way to reach the manufacturers (they are could easily be different coins/designs/etc). If no owner surfaces only upset discoverers you can ask them where or how they got the tracking # since the coin is warm and cozy at home with you.

yeah, It's just annoying and like I said so far not a single one has answered emails and none of them seem to speak english (which in fairness in prague I wouldn't expect it)

I don't even know who made this coin. its the fictional character coin. the unicorn one I fell in love with it and had to have it and after a couple of months I activated it with no issues.

There are only two actual discovery logs and they're from my friends that I showed it to… no one else has even seen it. I've checked my other coins incase I caught the code in a picture but couldn't see it…

I dunno, lets hope someone that can answer me will with regards to this… :( I deleted 3 logs today 5 yesterday and 7 the day before. :(

That it's being discovered by more than one individual seems to imply that either there is a coin out there sharing your tracking number

I don't see how that can happen - the owner of the second coin wouldn't have been able to activate it and therefore should have requested a new code instead of publishing it...