Placing a Cache

Infinity 'n' Beyond

I realise that you cannot dig or bury a cache, however, is it acceptable to use a spike that sticks into the ground? An example of what I am talking about is I am currently designing a nano that it built into a fake mushroom which obviously needs to sit on the ground. Am I allowed to build a spike into the base of it that will hold it upright when placed? I guess it would stick into the ground approx 50mm (2") (not causing any damage to property etc.

Would appreciate any feedback.

Edited by Infinity 'n' Beyond

For the record, the relevant guideline reads:

Geocaches are never buried, neither partially nor completely.

If one has to dig or create a hole in the ground when placing or finding a geocache, it is not allowed.

So the question is whether the spike "creates a hole in the ground", or whether the spike rests in an existing hole in the ground (or is otherwise able to do its job without "creating a hole in the ground").

We found a fake mushroom (cache) once. Nicely done, and it looked very real. We walked by the darn thing three times before we decided to check it out.

It did not need ground attachment as it simply sat upon the ground. It DID NOT resemble a toadstool in shape, but it did very much resemble another fungus. Think about it....

So... it can be done, and done without the requirement of any type of stake.

No need to question the "making a hole in the ground" guideline. Work around it.

EDIT to add: No critter in their right mind would have wanted to bite or eat it.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

So it depends on if you made the hole or not.

Aside from that-does the mushroom look real? If so some animal may try to eat it. I had a fake rat with a cache up it's...Well you can guess. Anyway it was eaten by a bird (eagle or something like that)

Well, it proves it has had great camo!

Well... this "fungus" was made with expanding (construction/insulation) foam, probably injected into a mould. The kind used to fill gaps and openings, etc. Any hardware store.

I would think that any animal sniffing it would be put-off by the odor.

I can understand a rat (decoy) being carried away. Ever see what a murder of crows does to an owl decoy?

Sounds like a fun hide.

The same people who'd gripe that you used a nail tip in the ground are the same walking with two carbide-tipped hiking poles, or maybe crampons in the Winter, punching holes as they go.

Go figure...

Yeah, I went hiking the other day with my carbide-tipped hiking pole and I found a great spot for a cache.....if only there was a nice neat hole I could insert my cache in. Maybe this spot over here....wonder if there are any pre existing holes I could use? Poke, poke, poke, POKE!....oh, there's one, how lucky, I'll be back tomorrow with my cache....😜

Thanks everyone. I think my question has been answered here. Anyone know a good place to buy good hiking poles :) (kidding)

I know you are kidding, but we bought a pair of hiking poles, one for each of us.....because it was cheaper! Local outdoor store, varying prices and those poles are great for poking and prodding too. Love the sound of a cache being struck!

I realise that you cannot dig or bury a cache, however, is it acceptable to use a spike that sticks into the ground? An example of what I am talking about is I am currently designing a nano that it built into a fake mushroom which obviously needs to sit on the ground. Am I allowed to build a spike into the base of it that will hold it upright when placed? I guess it would stick into the ground approx 50mm (2") (not causing any damage to property etc.

Would appreciate any feedback.

That's legal. Whats illegal is to literally dig a hole, stick the cache in the hole and replace the dirt. Technically, caches can get buried under snow during winter in Snowy places, but as a rule of thumb, if the actual container is above ground, you should be OK, even if the support is below ground.

Great idea for a cache BTW...

• Upvote 1

There was a cache placed within 50 miles of here that was a plastic cat-tail and placed near some water. I was there quite a few times looking for that one. It was pushed into the ground to keep it upright. One of the best natural looking caches that was in plain sight that I have seen yet in my limited exposure to geocaches.

There was also a bottle cap with a small plastic tube on the end pushed into the ground. It had a lot of DNF's and a lot of favorites on it.

Some of the best ones that I have found were in holes in the ground but the property owners had given permission, most of the time (not all the time).

One of the top ten in Michigan is buried in the ground and it is pretty big too.

There was a cache placed within 50 miles of here that was a plastic cat-tail and placed near some water. I was there quite a few times looking for that one. It was pushed into the ground to keep it upright. One of the best natural looking caches that was in plain sight that I have seen yet in my limited exposure to geocaches.

There was also a bottle cap with a small plastic tube on the end pushed into the ground. It had a lot of DNF's and a lot of favorites on it.

Some of the best ones that I have found were in holes in the ground but the property owners had given permission, most of the time (not all the time).

One of the top ten in Michigan is buried in the ground and it is pretty big too.

No doubt such caches are out there (pushed in the ground)...I have found many. I don't see a problem with them myself. But if you read the guidelines they're not SUPPOSED to be allowed.

Maybe some of them are older and are grandfathered in. Maybe some were approved because the CO wasn't really clear that it would be stuck in the ground. Maybe some reviewers are more strict in adhering to the "letter of the law" and some are more liberal.

In any case, just because a certain type of hide has been approved in the past, doesn't mean it is automatically allowed. Remember, the Original Can of Beans (first Geocache ever) was buried in the ground. That is also clearly stated in the guidelines.

Likewise, it doesn't matter whether the property owner gave permission to create a hole. Someone finding such a cache may assume that ANY cache can be buried, anywhere, because they saw it done that way. So it's not allowed.

Are some still going to slip through the review process? Sure. And I don't think anyone is truly bothered by that. But I would hope those few really "buried" caches that slip through get reported and archived. There's a process for that.

A mushroom stake is allowable since I've come across many caches staked in the ground and found by many reviewers.

Wrong. (http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx)

Please be advised that there is no precedent for placing geocaches. This means that the past publication of a similar geocache in and of itself is not a valid justification for the publication of a new geocache. If a geocache has been published and violates any guidelines listed below, you are encouraged to report it. However, if the geocache was placed prior to the date when a guideline was issued or updated, the geocache is likely to be grandfathered and allowed to stand as is

So That means that those caches are allowed. It doesn't mean any other like that will be.

That's legal. Whats illegal is to literally dig a hole, stick the cache in the hole and replace the dirt. Technically, caches can get buried under snow during winter in Snowy places, but as a rule of thumb, if the actual container is above ground, you should be OK, even if the support is below ground.

Great idea for a cache BTW...

Wrong...The guidelines are (http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx)

Geocaches are never buried, neither partially nor completely.

If one has to dig or create a hole in the ground when placing or finding a geocache, it is not allowed

It says to place or find. It doesn't say the cache is OK above ground. If I put a stake in the ground, there is a hole. It's filled by the stake but there's still a hole in the ground. And if it's buried under snow-well digging in snow is not digging in the ground. And again see the guidelines posted.

I have to of yet published a cache due to the fact that I could not come up with a way to place a cache that met all the 'guidelines' and was still fun to find. I was 'stumped'. Then I went to an event and pretty much all the very experienced people told me that the 'rulez' were just suggestions and to use common sense. I have since placed about 30 that will be soon published for an event. They are all way out in the wilderness and should create quite the adventure for those brave or foolhardy enough to attempt them. Everyone plays the game their own way. Just don't create a hide that places someone else's life in too much danger and to respect private property.

A Russian officer once stated that it was hard to follow American military doctrine because the American soldiers didn't even follow it...

• Upvote 1