Sometimes.....they come home

Kealia

A little over 7 years ago I set a New York Geocoin free with the goal of heading to NY to see Niagra Falls and then come back home to California. Today, that trip was made complete as I picked it up out of a local cache and brought it home with me.

It was set free on 11/12/2006 and put on almost 35,000 miles before ending up back in my grubby hands.

During its travels it visited Bangkok, Spain, Norway, London and numerous other cool places that I haven't. And, it met it's goal of seeing Niagra Falls thanks to Swamper68!

9a2f4e16-37da-4459-8b32-53e531d67b73.jpg

I'm not sure what I'll do with it next, but I'll likely re-release it to travel again. I'm thinking that I may send it to Ground Zero since it has the Twin Towers on the back of the coin, or maybe off to Paris to see Lady Liberty's sister. Not sure yet.....

I can say that the coin itself held up well for being out in the game for 7 years, though!

4m3p.jpg

To everybody with a traveler out there - don't lose hope. This one went missing for over a year IIRC and then found its way back into the game.

I live about 12 miles from Niagara Falls, too bad it never fell into my hands. And I did take a TB to the falls with a goal of visiting there once.

I see they called them New York Geocoins (I have one as well), but they were designed and made by the long since defunct NYGO, The New York Geocaching Organization, which probably threw in the towel in favor of localized Geocaching organizations around 2008. In case you didn't know. :)

Good luck usyoopers. This one got to within 5 miles or so of me and then was picked up and hauled around a bit. I missed some notifications of it so I wasn't aware it was in the area until it was already gone again. Fortunately, it really wanted to get home and made its way back again.

If I was the owner I would keep the Coin again.

You can use it as a special token from Geocaching adventures.

Tell about the places where it have been etc.

I think if you send it out again, and the thing gets 'missing'.

You would even feel worse, becasue it already made that special journey.

How about buying a box where you can store medals in.

And then print the journey map, and write yourself a story and put the Coin in there all together. :)

That's a nice idea and one that I might do if I had less coins. Honestly, I have so many that are hung in shadow boxes on my wall that I can't see putting up one single one. After the first of the year, I'll decide where to send it and set it free once again.

On a related note, I really need to sell off my collection after the new year, too.

Good luck usyoopers. This one got to within 5 miles or so of me and then was picked up and hauled around a bit. I missed some notifications of it so I wasn't aware it was in the area until it was already gone again. Fortunately, it really wanted to get home and made its way back again.

.....the rest of our story-

Jack Frost made it home!!

We released Jack in Mazatlan in Feb. 2007. He has traveled 14,645.4 miles. After being left in Mexico he made a huge leap to the Yukon and then made another big trip to Alabama. He traveled the south for awhile and was then lost in late 2007- early 2008. He got back in the game only to be lost again in 2009, reappearing in 2013. In Aug. 2013 he made it to Michigan, about 180 miles from home only to be grabbed and taken to Florida! Finally this November he showed up 85 miles from home, close enough for us to grab him on our way home from visiting family for Christmas. I was a little afraid to open the cache he was (supposed to be) in, afraid someone might have picked him up already, but there he was safe and sound!

Jack is now resting at home while we debate what to do with him. Travel Bugs do take strange routes, people don't always care what their missions are, they will disappear, they might just pop back up.....they are a fun part of the game!

I hope I'm as lucky, I have a coin from The Great Train Race that was one of the winners at the time with over 13,000 miles on it, and now has almost 36,000 miles on it. I'm fairly sure a new cacher grabbed it from a cache in Texas and is holding it. It is listed as still being in the cache but another cacher tells me it's not. I emailed the new cacher to see if maybe he had it and forgot to log it but he won't answer my email. After all the traveling it's done I really hate to see it go missing, very frustrating.