Caches along a route

jholly

So, its been a month since caches along a route died and got band-aided. Engineering has been hard at work to restore functionality we were told. I see we still can't edit a route. I take it then that this is about as fixed as caches along a route is going to get?

I find the best way to create a 'Route' is to use the 'Ruler' Tool('Path' tab) in Google Earth.

You can draw your line anywhere you want - it is not tied to roads. (but you can follow the roads if you want to !)

- you can double back to get more width in anywhere, add side spurs, etc., etc., and it's very easy to edit..... Example

When it is all as you like, hit save in the 'Ruler' box.

In the LH Sidebar, right click on the path you created and "Save Place As...".

This will create a .KMZ file for you to upload to creat your Route.

That all said, it sure would be nice to be able to do it directly on the Geocaching 'Caches along a route" page.

In the early days, there was no creation of a route on Geocaching.com - in the initial iterations, you had to upload a pre-created GPX or KML file.

When creation was added to the site, it was done using a number of behind-the-scenes tweaks to get it to work with our system. When Google moved to version 3 of its API, it rendered a large chunk of those tweaks obsolete. So, while creation of a new route is now back to working (the band-aid), editing of an existing route is not. It will take a more sustained dev effort to get things back to where we were.

I am still trying to get an answer from engineering on when they expect the system to be back up to full operation.

In the early days, there was no creation of a route on Geocaching.com - in the initial iterations, you had to upload a pre-created GPX or KML file.

When creation was added to the site, it was done using a number of behind-the-scenes tweaks to get it to work with our system. When Google moved to version 3 of its API, it rendered a large chunk of those tweaks obsolete. So, while creation of a new route is now back to working (the band-aid), editing of an existing route is not. It will take a more sustained dev effort to get things back to where we were.

I am still trying to get an answer from engineering on when they expect the system to be back up to full operation.

Thanks for the reply/info.

Uploading a gpx route still doesn't work though, but uploading a kmz/kml file does.

You can upload GPX, but some applications (notably Garmin's BaseCamp) add a bit order mark to the start of the file that causes the upload to choke. If you have access to a binary editor, you can remove the leading "EF BB BF" (the bit order mark) from these files to get them to upload. Alternatively, you can try using another application for generating the GPX.

Uploading a gpx route still doesn't work though, but uploading a kmz/kml file does.

You can upload GPX, but some applications (notably Garmin's BaseCamp) add a bit order mark to the start of the file that causes the upload to choke. If you have access to a binary editor, you can remove the leading "EF BB BF" (the bit order mark) from these files to get them to upload. Alternatively, you can try using another application for generating the GPX.

Thanks for that. FWIW, I've been bashing my head against a brick wall with the Caches along a route feature. Trying to use the on-site map resulted in chaos and upload failed (501 errors) with both kml and gpx files from Garmin BaseCamp. With the number of caches in my area now exceeding two days-worth of pocket queries, Caches along a route has become the query of choice -- if only I can get it to work!

So, its been a month since caches along a route died and got band-aided. Engineering has been hard at work to restore functionality we were told. I see we still can't edit a route. I take it then that this is about as fixed as caches along a route is going to get?

I find the best way to create a 'Route' is to use the 'Ruler' Tool('Path' tab) in Google Earth.

You can draw your line anywhere you want - it is not tied to roads. (but you can follow the roads if you want to !)

- you can double back to get more width in anywhere, add side spurs, etc., etc., and it's very easy to edit..... Example

When it is all as you like, hit save in the 'Ruler' box.

In the LH Sidebar, right click on the path you created and "Save Place As...".

This will create a .KMZ file for you to upload to creat your Route.

That all said, it sure would be nice to be able to do it directly on the Geocaching 'Caches along a route" page.

As of today I am still unable to create a new route. I cannot drop a start or end point on the map. Is this working for others?

You need to enter start and finish locations in the search boxes (city/state, address, coordinates, etc.). Once you have done this, the start and end markers will appear on the map and you can then drag them to adjust the route.

As of today I am still unable to create a new route. I cannot drop a start or end point on the map. Is this working for others?

You need to enter start and finish locations in the search boxes (city/state, address, coordinates, etc.). Once you have done this, the start and end markers will appear on the map and you can then drag them to adjust the route.

I can creat/adjust a route, but once I leave the screen, I cannot go back and edit; at least not in the ways I used to do this. Is there a new way?

I can creat/adjust a route, but once I leave the screen, I cannot go back and edit; at least not in the ways I used to do this. Is there a new way?

Unfortunately, no. The changes to the Google API caused the coding that we had implemented to allow editing of a route in this manner to break. It will take a substantial dev effort to recode the feature in a more robust way.

Can you give some more details on what is not working on your laptop?

The portion of the pocket query where one sets the distance for side to side and the amount of caches to list.

How does one go about attaching a screen shot to here and I will upload it for you.

In all fairness, I seem to be having a video player problem as well and maybe there is a connection somewhere - somehow.

Time for a Laptop Doc I think.

Know of any good good ones in Bend?

I think that it would be nice to be able to add multiple waypoints to a route, not only start and end of the track.

If we could edit a route that would not be needed. Just be happy you have a barely functional feature now.

Keep in mind that you can CUSTOMIZE a route when you are creating it by dragging the route line where you want it. You just can't EDIT the route once it has been saved. I just did it today.

Yes, it is definitely a pain and you have to be more careful not to save the route until you have it just the way you want it, but it IS doable.

I've done lots of routes in the past but can't even drop a start and finish now. Is this still a problem that Groundspeak is dealing with or is it just me struggling with my new Windows 8.1 computer?
Have you tried toggling compatibility mode?

Tried that suggestion just now and it doesn't fix the problem.

I am trying to create a route now and all I get a blank screen when I try to input the cities FROM and TO. No map, no signs of it working. Used IE, Chrome, and Firefox.

I saw that same behavior a couple of weeks ago (using Chrome) but I tried it last night and the map seemed to render correctly when setting FROM and TO locations. Probably not really helpful.

I am trying to create a route now and all I get a blank screen when I try to input the cities FROM and TO. No map, no signs of it working. Used IE, Chrome, and Firefox.

I saw that same behavior a couple of weeks ago (using Chrome) but I tried it last night and the map seemed to render correctly when setting FROM and TO locations. Probably not really helpful.

I have the same problem on occasion. I tried turning off popups on geocaching.com, then tried turning off adblock plus on the page - no luck.

Then I updated to the latest flash - that solved it. Flash is blocked if it out of date. This maps require flash (as much as I dislike flash) to display & allow you to interact.

I have the same problem on occasion. I tried turning off popups on geocaching.com, then tried turning off adblock plus on the page - no luck.

Then I updated to the latest flash - that solved it. Flash is blocked if it out of date. This maps require flash (as much as I dislike flash) to display & allow you to interact.

No help for me. I have the latest flash (16.0) installed on firefox (34.0). Also, IE 11.0 doesn't work...

Any help would be appretiated.

Regaards, DiggerNe

No help for me. I have the latest flash (16.0) installed on firefox (34.0). Also, IE 11.0 doesn't work...

Regaards, DiggerNe

Enter your 2 cities you are trying to create a route for. Then you have to make any adjustments on the map before hitting 'Create Route'. Zoom in and drag the line to adjust the route if you don't like the one created(usually fastest route).

Regaards, DiggerNe

Enter your 2 cities you are trying to create a route for. Then you have to make any adjustments on the map before hitting 'Create Route'. Zoom in and drag the line to adjust the route if you don't like the one created(usually fastest route).

Nop, like gpsblake wrote on 2014-10-21, the map is blank and entering cities doesn't work...

It is broken for me again - adobe flash is updating frequently; every update breaks this screen. I'm on Macintosh, but it is browser based so this is platform independent.

Workaround: Go to http://www.yournavigation.org

Fill in your from/to, zoom in/out with mouse wheel, etc.

Click on Export tab, select gpx. Export.

In Geocaching's "Find caches along a route", click on the right-most tab labeled "Upload a Route".

After the route has been uploaded, you can use it to create a PQ.

Edited by BNMac

It is broken for me again - adobe flash is updating frequently; every update breaks this screen. I'm on Macintosh, but it is browser based so this is platform independent.

In Geocaching's "Find caches along a route", click on the right-most tab labeled "Upload a Route".

Thank You for the work around it functioned perfectly even if it's extra work. Hopefully geocache.com can come up with a permanent fix.

I agree with the recent posts above. The "create a route" function is kaput, worthless. Wrote Groundspeak and their response had nothing to do with the issue, so I wrote again describing that one cannot get off the "create/edit" page. I appreciate the reference by BNMac to the yournavigation.org site. Will try that until GS gets this function working again.

Post script: Tried the workaround. A little more work, but quite satisfactory. Thanks again..

Edited by sjclimber

Hi Caching folks. Has anyone discovered a work-around to creating "cache's along a route"? I'm so frustrated! I also contacted Groundspeak and their response had nothing to do with my issue.

Open Google Maps and log in (need Google account) to My Maps

Create New Map

Select Draw line, then in drop down select add driving route driving route

Draw your route and save it. Give it a name.

Select the three vertical dots at the top and choose "Export to KML" and then "Entire Map". Click "Download".

You will get a .kml/.kmz file in your download folder

If you get a .kmz you can rename it .zip and extract all just like any .zip folder

Go to Geocaching.com and upload the .kml and use it as your route / create pocket query.

I have done this many times and have no issues with it.

I like this method, nice and simple and works a treat. Thanks very much for sharing.

Hi Caching folks. Has anyone discovered a work-around to creating "cache's along a route"? I'm so frustrated! I also contacted Groundspeak and their response had nothing to do with my issue.

Open Google Maps and log in (need Google account) to My Maps

Create New Map

Select Draw line, then in drop down select add driving route driving route

Draw your route and save it. Give it a name.

Select the three vertical dots at the top and choose "Export to KML" and then "Entire Map". Click "Download".

You will get a .kml/.kmz file in your download folder

If you get a .kmz you can rename it .zip and extract all just like any .zip folder

Go to Geocaching.com and upload the .kml and use it as your route / create pocket query.

I have done this many times and have no issues with it.