Problem with Basic member placing a cache

DipPeanut

Hi,

I'm a Basic Member and just had a new cache rejected as it infringed on the 500ft separation rule.

The problem is I can no longer see Premium Caches on the map, I used to, if I zoomed out a little, but that facility doesn't seem to work anymore? (unless there's a set-up feature I've not selected?)

I can move my cache, but may hit the same problem if there is another premium cache that I can't see.

Also I've been working on a Multi for a while and have spent time making a container for a specific location, now I'm worried I may not be able to place it, if the same thing happens.

How can Basic members place caches with confidence if we can't see premium locations like we used too? This issue wastes time for us and the over-worked reviewer.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Also, on your unpublished cache page, click the "nearby caches" link. It's under the bold

Find...

...other caches hidden or found by this user

...nearby caches of this type, that I haven't found

...all nearby caches, that I haven't found

...all nearby waymarks on Waymarking.com

this is the Hide and Seek page, loaded with the coords from the top of your listing.

Before I go to the trouble of making fabulous containers and camouflage, creating elaborate cache descriptions, placing my wonderful hide then submitting it for review only to find it can't be published because it's too close to a waypoint for a multi or mystery or whatever, I create a page on Geocaching.com with the cache name of "Coordinate Check". I place the coordinates, where I want to place my hide, in the appropriate sections, then submit it for review with a Reviewer Note saying "This cache is not ready for publication. Would you mind checking to see if my selected location is acceptable. Thanks." Add any other information that is pertinent to your location in this reviewer note. The reviewer can see a lot more information than we can. They can even see the location of unpublished caches by other players. After a period of time, you will get a response saying the location is acceptable or not.

If the location is acceptable, go ahead and prepare your hide. Edit you cache page as appropriate, particularly the cache name, then submit it again for review once it is placed and you're ready for it to be published.

If the location is not acceptable, then you haven't wasted all that time, effort and money in a project that will ultimately be rejected.

I have found this method to save a lot of time and frustration in getting my cache hides published.

Also, on your unpublished cache page, click the "nearby caches" link. It's under the bold

Find...

this is the Hide and Seek page, loaded with the coords from the top of your listing.

I'll remember this for future reference - thanks.

Unfortunately this wouldn't have helped in this situation as the cache that the reviewer says is the problem is actually listed as being 1.1 miles away (there are 30 caches closer) But it's a puzzle cache so I guess that's the location of the '?' symbol.

(1.1 miles seems a long way though?)

And thanks to Calypso62 for the great hints.

Edited by DipPeanut
Unfortunately this wouldn't have helped in this situation as the cache that the reviewer says is the problem is actually listed as being 1.1 miles away (there are 30 caches closer) But it's a puzzle cache so I guess that's the location of the '?' symbol.

Yes, the bogus coords of the puzzle could be as much as 2 miles away - that's the upper limit on the distance between bogus coords and physical placement on a puzzle (usually). There are some puzzles with physical placements at greater distance, usually staged - ie, you work a puzzle, get coords, then start chasing stages. There's one like that in Florida - several stages plus the final, all at many miles from the listing coords.

And there's no limit on the distance for stages of a multi-cache. East of me a bit is a multi-cache that starts in central Florida, and ends in Germany.

Something of a shock to be placing a new German cache and be told that it's too close to GCSomething? with first stage coords in the USA! I doubt you'd be checking that far out for a cache conflict ;-)

Generally, the more staged caches you see within 2 miles, the greater the risk that your spot is not available.

Find...

This is probably not the answer you want to hear but with 30 caches within 1.1 miles it sounds like the area is already fairly saturated and you might want to consider driving a bit and finding a spot with fewer caches and is less likely going to result in proximity issues.

Find...

This is probably not the answer you want to hear but with 30 caches within 1.1 miles it sounds like the area is already fairly saturated and you might want to consider driving a bit and finding a spot with fewer caches and is less likely going to result in proximity issues.

I guess that's one of the up sides of living in a cache-poor area like mine....I could probably throw a dart at a map over my shoulder blindfolded and be OK placing a cache wherever it landed 😊

Yes, the bogus coords of the puzzle could be as much as 2 miles away - that's the upper limit on the distance between bogus coords and physical placement on a puzzle (usually). There are some puzzles with physical placements at greater distance, usually staged - ie, you work a puzzle, get coords, then start chasing stages.
Yes, 2 miles is the typical limit, but there are exeptions. I've found multi-stage puzzle caches where the posted coordinates were more than 2 miles from the final. I've also found regular "solve the puzzle to get the final coordinates" puzzle caches where the solution was more than 2 miles from the posted coordinates. Some were older puzzle caches, listed before the 2 mile limit was enforced. Some had good reasons for the posted coordinates to be further than 2 miles from the solution (approved by Groundspeak and/or the volunteer reviewer).

Yep. At one point, the guidelines even stated that the goals of the saturation guideline were "to encourage you to seek out new places to hide caches rather than putting them in areas where caches already exist, and to limit the number of caches hidden in a particular area".

Yup, happened to me too. In fact I still have yet to go back and pick-up the cache I placed that I later found was near a "?" cache final location. Sucky part is, part of a series....and in the middle.

I pre-create the cache page and use the aerial image to aid in the "proposed" coordinates before actually hiding the cache. The comment about going into that proposed cache page and using the "find nearby caches" is what I use as it seems the most simple.

Edited by ^up

The best part is when you submit a cache thinking all will be good. Then you get the "it is to close to a final of a puzzle" Then you look to see who would put a puzzle final here and notice....opps it is mine! :)

I did that a while back... was looking for somewhere to put a puzzle in a particular town but there are a couple of unsolved puzzles by another CO. That CO has an archived puzzle in the same town so I worked out that if I could solve that puzzle, I could put a cache around that location, and it shouldn't cause a proximity issue. I solved it, only to find we'd already put a cache there already a month previously.