New Handheld GPS Manufacturer

yogazoo

Don't get the wrong idea. I'm in no way affiliated with these guys.

I'm waiting to see some prices but the specs look decent. They even offer software to make your own maps using shapefiles. Could be interesting to watch. These guys aren't ready for prime time just yet. It just points o the greater horizon of a multitude of companies putting out low-cost (?) alternatives. Could be an abject disaster too but time will tell.

Site Link: http://www.bhcnav.com/products.html

NAVA.jpg

bhcnav-in-shanghai-1.jpg

NAVA600.jpg

Edited by yogazoo

Actually, they have been around for a bit, but they are going "global" with their line now. I read about them a year or so ago and looked about through their website. At that time their market was (apparently) only in China -- no doubt, expecting to go global at some time. At that time, they did not have quite as many models (only one or two, if I remember correctly).

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

Not interested in their products. I know many components even in American products are sourced from China, but Chinese sourced, produced and owned seem to be nothing but disaster, from the lead in children's toys to the cars that are pure death traps because they skimp on safety features. I'll try my best to support American made products and companies. Why I only buy New Balance for running shoes because they make them here in the United States (not all, but many).

Edited by ^up

I've never seen a handheld GPS for sale in China. I've been there a dozen times and have kept my eyes open.

From what I've read I thought GPS usage in China isn't a commonly allowed thing especially for foreigners. Kinda the same like in Cuba.

Nothing I've heard of before. I usually have one in my carry on and have been search. You see automotive ones quite a bit.

I've never seen a handheld GPS for sale in China. I've been there a dozen times and have kept my eyes open.

From what I've read I thought GPS usage in China isn't a commonly allowed thing especially for foreigners. Kinda the same like in Cuba.

Nothing I've heard of before. I usually have one in my carry on and have been search. You see automotive ones quite a bit.

My wife bought me a DVD about a couple of Canadians on BMW motorcycles doing a ride around China and in the first episode they mention how difficult it was for them to get anything to do with GPS there. Google "The Middle Kingdom Ride".

Rand McNally GPS

http://www.randmcnally.com/product/foris-850

37-Rand-McNally-GPS.jpg

Rand McNally Foris 850 GPS Has Built-In Contour Maps and Voice Directions

According to their rep, Rand McNally is already #1 in truck and car GPS systems; now they are entering the competitive outdoor GPS market with the Foris GPS. They gave us an in-depth demonstration, and we were impressed. For one thing, contour maps of the entire US, including special features like roads and trails and special interest sites, are already in the GPS – no cumbersome and expensive downloading of desired maps from a website like other products force you to do. Navigation is by touch screen and very user friendly. A special feature is the ability to offer localized hiking, biking, or driving options for the amount of time and energy you have available. The screen is very sharp and the unit responds quickly. And this one will provide voice directions, if desired, just like a car GPS. This is all very impressive for a brand new product. Weight is 8.15 ounces and MSRP is $400.

Edited by Odourless

I will forego any Chinese GPS, but this is an interesting development. While it probably would be fine for casual use, I certainly wouldn't want to be the person relying on a Chinese-made GPS product for any sort of critical application, such as aviation or maritime navigation. As mentioned prior, hopefully this encourages Garmin to raise the bar a little bit. We are seeing this same thing play out in the amateur / ham radio arena as well. Lots of cheap radios flowing in from China. Some better than others, but nothing I would want to bet my life on.

Edited by Pacific NW

I actually did a blog post about these units a few weeks ago. However, for reasons I can't get into, I don't think I'd be allowed to link to it. :lol: However, if you google "mr.yuck geocaching" you can probably find it. I attempted to contact them twice (in English of course), but they never responded. But I went ahead and did the blog post anyways. They obviously went out of their way to make that English website, and there is speculation in the GPS blogosphere they want to enter the American market, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Anyone have any idea who makes those handheld units for Rand McNally? Or where they're manufactured?

I actually did a blog post about these units a few weeks ago. However, for reasons I can't get into, I don't think I'd be allowed to link to it. :lol: However, if you google "mr.yuck geocaching" you can probably find it. I attempted to contact them twice (in English of course), but they never responded. But I went ahead and did the blog post anyways. They obviously went out of their way to make that English website, and there is speculation in the GPS blogosphere they want to enter the American market, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Anyone have any idea who makes those handheld units for Rand McNally? Or where they're manufactured?

The Rand McNally Foris 850 is a rebranded Falk Lux series device.

The Rand McNally Foris 850 is a rebranded Falk Lux series device.

Ah, very interesting! We could very well see these Chinese units rebranded as well. Or we may never see them. :P They are indeed low-end units, with no touch screen, and only their top of the line model has an electronic compass.

Foris down to $128 on amazon now, after starting off at $399

Complete contour maps, spoken turn by turn directions, paperless caching, storage for 7,000 geocaches, electronic compass, altimeter

I just got a Garmin 62s and own too many units now but this seems to be to good of a deal to pass up. There has to be a downside.

Foris down to $128 on amazon now, after starting off at $399

Complete contour maps, spoken turn by turn directions, paperless caching, storage for 7,000 geocaches, electronic compass, altimeter

I just got a Garmin 62s and own too many units now but this seems to be to good of a deal to pass up. There has to be a downside.

Perhaps this review covers the downside.