Problems with Magellan eXplorist GC 2.15

Zaise

Hi all, so I'm in the process of attempting to update my eXplorist GC from v1.8 to v2.15, and I keep getting the same error which says "GPS Device Error! Incorrect GPS device connected for this upgrade!" . I've contacted Magellan multiple times via email and phone and I've been sent through multiple processes and all have given me the same error. So I'm coming here in hopes that someone on this site might be able to give me a real fix. I was able to update from v1.0 to v1.8 with no problem so I'm not sure what the problem is. I'm running an Apple machine by the way, and I have no access to a Microsoft or Linux machine.

Thanks in advance for the help my fellow Geocachers!

Many people have reported problems upgrading from 1.8 to 2.15, however few have had problems with 1.7 to 2.15

The fix is DOWNGRADING to version 1.7, then upgrading to 2.15. 1.8 is identical to 1.7 except 1.8 was only installed with new units and never was a downloadable update.

Try to see if you can install the 1.7 firmware

http://support.magellangps.com/support/index.php?_m=downloads&_a=viewdownload&downloaditemid=265

If you can't install that way, the poster in this link below is an Magellan Insider and might have a copy of 1.7 can you copy right into your unit, then upgrade.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showuser=727129

I also have a hard copy of version 1.7 that perhaps I can send you but it's about 80MB

Many people have reported problems upgrading from 1.8 to 2.15, however few have had problems with 1.7 to 2.15

The fix is DOWNGRADING to version 1.7, then upgrading to 2.15. 1.8 is identical to 1.7 except 1.8 was only installed with new units and never was a downloadable update.

Try to see if you can install the 1.7 firmware

http://support.magellangps.com/support/index.php?_m=downloads&_a=viewdownload&downloaditemid=265

If you can't install that way, the poster in this link below is an Magellan Insider and might have a copy of 1.7 can you copy right into your unit, then upgrade.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showuser=727129

I also have a hard copy of version 1.7 that perhaps I can send you but it's about 80MB

Hey thanks for the info. Only problem is that the only 1.7 update I can find is in an .exe format, which won't work on an apple computer. When I tried upgrading from 1.7 to 2.5 (since my GC was on 1.7 already) it gave me the same error I'm getting from 1.8 to 2.5, so when upgrading from 1.7 to 1.8 went without a hitch I thought I had it. is there any way I could get the 1.7 that's not in an .exe?

I always thought 1.8 was never a downloadable update, only came out on new units out of the box.

Like I said, Zuki Cacher used to have a website up with the 1.7 firmware without the exe file, just copy the files to your computer.

If you know of a service that will allow an 80mb file, I can send you my 1.7 firmware minus the map. (just save your current 1.8 map)

Here is the ROM I was talking about.

http://service.magellangpseurope.com/m0100/FileReader_108677_UK%20Ireland%20MAGELLAN_English%20Magellan.html

Follow instructions but it should restore your Magellan to an older version, then update to 2.15

I don't use a Mac though.

Thanks for the information. If the ROM doesn't work on my MAC, I'll try to borrow one of my friends with a Windows machine, which'll hopefully make it easier. And as far as I know, I don't know of a service that allows the transfer of that much data, thanks for the offer though, I really appreciate it.

I'm having similar problems.  I couldn't update mine from 1.7 to 2.15.  Then, I read online to connect it and turn it on by holding up, menu, and the power button all at once.  That worked, and I was able to update it to 2.15, which looks very different than 1.0 or 1.7.   Problem, though, is that now GSAK doesn't recognize that it's connected, and all of my world base maps that were there for 1.0 and 1.7 are gone.  1.7 wasn't being identified by the computer or GSAK, either.  Is there any way to go back to 1.0?  Everything seemed to be working well with that.  I've written Magellan.  I hope to hear back from them.  I have used Garmin up until now.  This isn't a very good introduction.

I never heard back from Magellan, but I did finally fix the issue.  I unzipped the exe file and found a map in it that hadn't previously been loaded for whatever reason, so I copied it into the GPSr via drag and drop, and it showed up on the device, but it wouldn't let me load it.  So, after that, I ran the exe file again, and it installed successfully.  Now it works with GSAK and it has maps.  I'm happy for now.  I'm not sure what magic combination happened that it ran the update successfully.  I'm glad I stumbled across it, though. 

On 4/22/2018 at 10:29 AM, bulcacher said:

I never heard back from Magellan, but I did finally fix the issue.  I unzipped the exe file and found a map in it that hadn't previously been loaded for whatever reason, so I copied it into the GPSr via drag and drop, and it showed up on the device, but it wouldn't let me load it.  So, after that, I ran the exe file again, and it installed successfully.  Now it works with GSAK and it has maps.  I'm happy for now.  I'm not sure what magic combination happened that it ran the update successfully.  I'm glad I stumbled across it, though. 

What map file did you end up with and where did you put it? The one that I found in the exe is apparently an EU version and I'm thinking that's why mine is failing.