Spoiled-rotten Northwesterner joking at the Plains folks... ;)

Sparrowhawk

(silliness/tease mode ON)

Hey you guys... icon_smile.gif

How can ya folks POSSIBLY make geocaching at all adventurous out there when all ya have is a buncha flat geology? icon_smile.gif

I mean... no huge ravines to accidently slip into, no mountains to fall off of, no Bigfoot legends, no grizzlies to scare ya, no constant rain all winter trying to become ice, no loggers/hunters to piss off with their rifles, no big forests to get lost in and then freeze your butt off in the snow or in the rain in the middle of the night...

Sheesh, is it just one big easy tea party out there or what? icon_razz.gificon_biggrin.gif

-E.

(This Post Has Been Closed Captioned For The Humor-Impaired)

-Elana (a.k.a. "sparrowhawk" and formerly a.k.a. "falcospav" here on this site.)

"You forgot to mention that the rivers are so flat and shallow that you could walk across them without getting your knees wet."

-----------------------------

What, there, or here?

Here we have both deep and shallow rivers of all types so I am confused here...

I don't know how to insult where u guys are at because I don't live there. I can only make gentle fun of where I am.

I did honestly wonder how caching could be as interesting in a flat land. But was afraid I might piss off a local who might think I was trying to insult your area or something. So I gently insulted my area first to show I wasn't trying to do be all too NW-proud while asking the question I was wondering to you guys about. icon_smile.gif

-Elana

-Elana (a.k.a. "sparrowhawk" and formerly a.k.a. "falcospav" here on this site.)

The topography is not as flat as most coastals think it is. Omaha happens to be one of the hilliest cities in America. For example, our marathon has to be run along the Missouri river to be sanctioned nationally, because its the only part of the city flat enough to simulate Boston or New York.

remybussi.gif By appointment to the Court of HRM Queen Mikki I. remybussi.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Sparrowhawk:

(silliness/tease mode ON)

Hey you guys... icon_smile.gif

How can ya folks POSSIBLY make geocaching at all adventurous out there when all ya have is a buncha flat geology? icon_smile.gif...

Have you ever tried to find the Needle (as in needle in a haystack)? That can be such an adventure! Exspecially when your trying to out run a small prarie fire, while avoiding triping into one of the many gopher holes icon_wink.gif

waypoint_link.gif22008_1700.gif37_gp_logo88x31.jpg

You are right the lay of the land is nicer in the Pacific Northwest than it is here for geocaching. Creativity is a must or the caches would just end up in some farmers field icon_razz.gif.

The river I was refering to is the Platte river "mile wide and an inche deep" and I have a cache that requires you to go out on one of the sand bars.

There is another cache that is for the people that think that Iowa is flat. I don't think that there is one flat part on the trail.

The whole thing about this game is just to have fun no matter where you are.

Just to let you know I took no offence to any of the comments made. Just drop me a line if you ever come to the area and I can show you how we do it here in the flat lands. icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Originally posted by The Shorts:

The river I was refering to is the Platte river "mile wide and an inche deep" and I have a cache that requires you to go out on one of the sand bars.

Really? Thats cool!

quote:

There is another cache that is for the people that think that Iowa is flat. I don't think that there is one flat part on the trail.

Are you talking about SamuriCat? or another one?

waypoint_link.gif22008_1700.gif37_gp_logo88x31.jpg

I realize that this is off topic, but geez, did you read what your Senator said about Bin Laden to school kids? Talk about selective memory and lack of insight. She mentions schools and forgets that they are little more than indoctrination camps, forgets to mention that Al Qaida funds itself using Blood Diamonds.

We may be flatlanders, but we can find a voting booth without a GPS unit. Put down the E-Trex, the REI catalog, and the Latte, and start getting rid of this Chucklehead.

remybussi.gif By appointment to the Court of HRM Queen Mikki I. remybussi.gif

This one puts me in a tough spot; being born and raised in Iowa, and know living in Oregon. I've geocached in the great plains states and have also cached near my home; and to be brutally honest both have their high points and low points, but if I had to classify one area tougher to cache in I'd definately say the Northwest is tougher.

Mainly due to the terrain, most caches we do you're very lucky to get more than 3 satelites due to the dense tree cover. And nothing beats those wonderful hints like "Cache is located near the base of a stump!"; know that was very helpful in a forest full of rotting stumps.

In closing I'd like to say a bad day of caching still beats a good day @ work, watching tv, or even trolling the boards.

The Coasties

Shawn & Katrina Millang

aka The Coasties