Groundspeak accounting

BrianDiane

Let's consider this.

1) Jeremy (and perhaps some other) invested their money and time building servers and software from scratch. In 2000, this probably was a risky venture.

2_ Premium membership is the same price today as it was 10 plus years ago, 30 bucks a year. GC could actually increase PM to 50 bucks a year, and not lose more then 10-20 percent of it's premium members and generate more income. But they don't.

3) If Irish was really just in it for the money, he could have easily sold the business by now for at least 100 million dollars if not more.

So considering the risk and other factors, I have no problem if GC is making good money, in fact, I hope they are very profitable, I hope Irish and other owners/investors are set for life financially.

As a volunteer, I've visited the homes of Groundspeak Lackeys, including a founder. I've met their spouses and kids. I've rode in their cachemobiles on geocaching trips.

Nothing I saw made me think that anybody's getting insanely rich. Seattle has a high cost of living, so if a department manager is able to afford a modest three bedroom house in a nice city neighborhood, I'm all for paying them enough to do that. Especially when she invites me to that house and throws an awesome party.

The founders addresses are in a couple of public records. If you know where to look you can find them. A couple years ago I was curious and look up the addresses on Google Maps Street View. They were your typical middle class homes in your typical middle class neighborhoods. Nothing special. If they are making millions and millions of dollars from running a website then they sure aren't living like it.

I may get in trouble for this, but the homes Keystone was invited to and that Glenn saw on Google Street View are just "show homes" that TPTB use for the very purpose of deflecting accusations of living high off our dollars.

Only a select few have been invited to Jeremy's real home. I'm lucky to be one of them. Here is Jeremy's real house (that's Bryan's in the background).

grand-palace-bangkok.jpg

I may get in trouble for this, but the homes Keystone was invited to and that Glenn saw on Google Street View are just "show homes" that TPTB use for the very purpose of deflecting accusations of living high off our dollars.

Only a select few have been invited to Jeremy's real home. I'm lucky to be one of them. Here is Jeremy's real house (that's Bryan's in the background).

grand-palace-bangkok.jpg

Jeremy lives in Bangkok? Now, that's a commute! :o

--Larry

grand-palace-bangkok.jpg

I don't see any No Trespassing signs, so perhaps a micro in the bushes, or an ammo can under the porch should be in order.

grand-palace-bangkok.jpg

Jeremy lives in Bangkok? Now, that's a commute! :o

--Larry

Not much of a commute when you take into consideration, the number of hamsters he has at his disposal. There's no doubt there are plenty to power his personal transporter.

I can hear it now: Irish to Miss Jenn,,, One to beam over!

Not much of a commute when you take into consideration, the number of hamsters he has at his disposal. There's no doubt there are plenty to power his personal transporter.

I have it on good authority that Jeremy is transported across the Pacific in a flying sleigh pulled by eight tiny hamsters.

Here he is about to take flight, with some expert assistance from one of his lackeys:

hamsters.jpg

--Larry

Edited by larryc43230

I have it on good authority that Jeremy is transported across the Pacific in a flying sleigh pulled by eight tiny hamsters.

Here he is about to take flight, with some expert assistance from one of his lackeys:

hamsters.jpg

--Larry

is there a song about that?

Let's consider this.

1) Jeremy (and perhaps some other) invested their money and time building servers and software from scratch. In 2000, this probably was a risky venture.

2_ Premium membership is the same price today as it was 10 plus years ago, 30 bucks a year. GC could actually increase PM to 50 bucks a year, and not lose more then 10-20 percent of it's premium members and generate more income. But they don't.

3) If Irish was really just in it for the money, he could have easily sold the business by now for at least 100 million dollars if not more.

So considering the risk and other factors, I have no problem if GC is making good money, in fact, I hope they are very profitable, I hope Irish and other owners/investors are set for life financially.

^^This +100

Edited by steben6

This thread is absolutely priceless. You guys are too funny...totally cracking me up.

Oh, well...the Bangkok secret was going to get leaked eventually. If you think about it, it totally makes sense. It is too darn grey in Seattle for all of us to be so happy all the time. Why do you think the Block Party is in August every year? That's when we like to be there too. :)

Let's consider this.

Valid, however, I wish they would drop a buck or two on hamster food to enable the repair of "Caches Along A Route"

5% Live flies for Signal

10% Electric

15% Rent

10% IT infrastructure

7% Wages, benefits, etc. for lackeys

53% Jelly Beans for Jeremy

Where do the bags of hamster cedar chips come in?

Hamster cedar chips account for 0% of the budget since hamsters shouldn't use cedar for bedding material. The Groundspeak Hamster team use a variety of other bedding materials based on individual hamster preference.

All hamster-related expenses are included in the above 10% IT infrastructure which is subdivided as follows:

3% Hamster bedding/housing

2% Hamster food supplies

2% Hamster wheel maintenance

1% Hamster behavioral consultants

2% Actual computers/Server/infrastucture expenses

This thread is absolutely priceless. You guys are too funny...totally cracking me up.

Oh, well...the Bangkok secret was going to get leaked eventually. If you think about it, it totally makes sense. It is too darn grey in Seattle for all of us to be so happy all the time. Why do you think the Block Party is in August every year? That's when we like to be there too. :)

Ya'll should strike until you get HQ moved to Florida (or southern Cali).

5% Live flies for Signal

10% Electric

15% Rent

10% IT infrastructure

Hamster cedar chips account for 0% of the budget since hamsters shouldn't use cedar for bedding material. The Groundspeak Hamster team use a variety of other bedding materials based on individual hamster preference.

All hamster-related expenses are included in the above 10% IT infrastructure which is subdivided as follows:

2% Hamster food supplies

Now we know where all the missing log books are going!

Edited by ^up

5% Live flies for Signal

10% Electric

15% Rent

10% IT infrastructure

2% Hamster food supplies

Now we know where all the missing log books premium member fees are going!

689678150_845501.gif