Real Maps for a Tablet

ShastaBert

I'm sick of the small size of handheld GPS's and I want to get a tablet to use for Geocaching. I assume they use the default Google Maps and I want REAL mapping like you would find on a GPS (with forest service and BLM roads, creeks and landmarks). Is there a proven system available for this? Can someone experienced enlighten me, please?

ShastaBert

I'm sick of the small size of handheld GPS's and I want to get a tablet to use for Geocaching. I assume they use the default Google Maps and I want REAL mapping like you would find on a GPS (with forest service and BLM roads, creeks and landmarks). Is there a proven system available for this? Can someone experienced enlighten me, please?

ShastaBert

It may be that a version of the app you are looking for is already available for newer full featured Win 8.1 tablets (not Win 8RT). The application is called Delorme Topo10 for Windows - the same powerful application that many geocachers decry as having too steep a learning curve. Topo10 North America for Windows can be purchased bundled with a gps receiver for the USB port for around $100 US. The included maps of North America and Mexico are default Delorme maps, not default Google maps.

Thank you, this seems to be the most viable solution. I'm going to talk to them this afternoon for specific information.

It's a little different since I want to use it like a GPS with maps already loaded instead of WiFi access on the fly. I intend to purchase a device specifically geared to accommodate this application.

Appreciate everyone's imput

Thank you, this seems to be the most viable solution. I'm going to talk to them this afternoon for specific information.

It's a little different since I want to use it like a GPS with maps already loaded instead of WiFi access on the fly. I intend to purchase a device specifically geared to accommodate this application.

Appreciate everyone's imput

I am one of the Gaia GPS developers (Andrew), and I'm always happy to answer questions. We just did a big Android release, and we have another one coming up for Christmas!

I am hoping to get feedback about how we can make GaiaCloud sharing better for geocaching, in particular.