"Feeler" - New Category

I have seen the following animals in Fiberglass (or other resins) with different themes or paint schemes:

Horses - Amarillo, TX (This has it's own category - Fiberglass Horses)

Cows - Plainview, TX

Cows - San Antonio, TX

Cows - Hereford, TX

Cows - Chicago, IL

Pelicans - Kemah, TX

Rabbits - Odessa, TX

Lizards - Orlando, FL

Gators - Gainsville, FL

I know there are more of these out there.

This is a PRE-Category question - Would anyone be in support of this?

Do they exist outside of the USA?

Comments please.

Bingo! That is what I was looking for - Figurative Public Sculptures

In two replies - I have an answer. No need for a NEW CATEGORY.

I hope this helps others to find homes for all of those Fiberglass Animals they have been dying to waymark!

Thanks Tante.Hossi for your help.

Now on to the next new proposal....

The problem with these is they are usually temporary at least at their "original" location. Some usually end of being "permanent" somewhere but usually not where they originally stood. In Cincinnati they do pigs, usually of the flying variety. It seems to be an annual or at least reoccurring event with the pigs being at various street corners for a few months and then they disappear. A few will later show up on a permanent basis somewhere else. (one of the flying pigs is at CVG on a permanent basis though he seems to move around the airport)

The problem with these is they are usually temporary at least at their "original" location. Some usually end of being "permanent" somewhere but usually not where they originally stood. In Cincinnati they do pigs, usually of the flying variety. It seems to be an annual or at least reoccurring event with the pigs being at various street corners for a few months and then they disappear. A few will later show up on a permanent basis somewhere else. (one of the flying pigs is at CVG on a permanent basis though he seems to move around the airport)

I took some pictures of a fiberglass cow mounted on top of a restaurant recently. I thought it would fit in to the Fiberglass Horses category but was wrong. I didn't even think to waymark it into the Figurative Public Sculptures category. Thanks for brain jolt. :anicute:

In some cases, as Bruce mentioned, these are indeed temporary. This is especially true when multiples of the same form are created and each one painted in some unique way. I did a couple of these in a park in Ohio, not quite animals, but the same concept, and found later that they were all gone. Catalina Island has buffalo like this around Avon, but I haven't been back recently to see if they are still there.

Of course there are others that seem more permanent. I recently did one of a whale shark south of Pattaya, Thailand, that was fiberglass, but quite permanently mounted, and somewhat weather beaten, and it went well into the Figurative Sculptures category. So, I would evaluate each one individually on its own mertits.

There have been three series of such sculptures in my city: orcas, bears, and eagles. All were several years ago and some of the sculptures that were purchased are now on permanent display around the region. Here's one of the bears that I recently submitted. I know there are others around the region and I'll be Waymarking them as I find them, since I know that all are now in permanent locations.