Which stats are you working on?

Oxford Stone

I'm interested to hear which of all those stats that caching throws at you, either through the official site or GSAK / project-gc / mygeocaching profile, you're trying to work on.

I've long since given up trying to up my average D & T - they're in the 1.7, 1.8s and probably always will be.

I'm on 339/366 (not bad for 13 1/2 months' work though I say it myself) so getting to 366 by 29 Feb 2016 should be a breeze.

Noticed that it won't take much to get trads under 90% by doing half a dozen others (though of course I'll then go on a trail and pick up 20 trads and need to solve 2 more puzzles!)

Loving colouring in the county maps but have done all the easy stuff there.

On 43 I think on D/T and will aim to get another dozen in 2014. A spot of boat-borrowing and a few more would become available but it's not a massive priority. More of a D man than T (enjoy puzzles!)

The project-gc "months cache hidden in" grid might get my attention one day but again I'm not deliberately going out of my way for anything there.

Also on there, I can see my hides have an average of I think 21% fave points - I'd like to keep that above 20% if I can. Up to me to put out more some nice hides!

There's a challenge cache near me where you have to have visited a cache 0-5, 5.01-10 etc miles, all the 5-mile increments up to 250. A lot of finders have commented the research is the time consuming bit there, no idea how many I've got.

How about the rest of you?

Since I already have my D/T chart filled up, I've been working towards filling it with Unknown cache types just for the hell of it. I'm about 10 or 11 spots away, getting there.

Also working towards having found 100 Wherigo caches. I'm at 64 now, so 36 to go. They're few and far between near me, so I'll have to travel far and wide for the last 36.

Finally my last goal is to get my traditional percentage down to 50%. I've been working hard at that one, however it helps that traditionals don't particularly interest me. 65% and counting! I promised my buddy that when I hit my goal, I'll change my name to Traditional Bill, just for the irony of it.

The stat I try to maintain is keeping my gratitudes higher than my expectations.

Also I am working on logging 100% of the caching attempts/finds. I'm somewhere in the neighborhood of 92% right now.

ooooh, eXtra nice ->>> gratitudes/expectations =:-)

I'm close to 100% on logging DNFs, and on mostly pretty good with logging finds on caches within 200 miles of home. Stuff found on trips, not so much.

My Terrain average is at 1.97% and for a while I got real interested in seeing it go to 2, doing a lot of paddle caches - but then realized that working for a number was just silly.

Before the stats module was part of this site, I had no clue what that number was, what dates I'd never cache on, longest streak etc, and that was fine. I'm back to ignoring the stats module, and finding what I think I'll like when it's convenient for me go caching.

I forgot, I'm benchmarking some now. Hadn't done any for several years.

Edited by Isonzo Karst

I'm pretty new to geocaching but I'm currently leaning to the "Fizzy" D/T Challenge and the Jasmer Challenge. I found the "Fizzy" Challenge quite by accident as it just so happens to be right near my work place. To me these two Challenges best represent geocaching at its best.

I figure if I do those two, the Delorme and County challenges will take care of themselves, but that doesn't mean I won't detour for a needed page fill :anibad:

I'm pretty new to geocaching but I'm currently leaning to the "Fizzy" D/T Challenge and the Jasmer Challenge. I found the "Fizzy" Challenge quite by accident as it just so happens to be right near my work place. To me these two Challenges best represent geocaching at its best.

I figure if I do those two, the Delorme and County challenges will take care of themselves, but that doesn't mean I won't detour for a needed page fill :anibad:

Goodluck on the Jasmer.....that's a tough one. Most of us Jersey folk head down to Georgia to get the last couple year 2000 caches we need. I haven't done so yet, but I intend to sooner or later.

Very ambitious goals for a new cacher. That's a good thing! Keep it up!

Goodluck on the Jasmer.....that's a tough one. Most of us Jersey folk head down to Georgia to get the last couple year 2000 caches we need. I haven't done so yet, but I intend to sooner or later.

Thanks for the encouragement. I find the older caches to be a bit more nostalgic and more off the beaten path; which I enjoy. Right now I got the Jersey Pine Barrens in my cross-hairs since there are many older caches there deep into the wild unknown. I think that should keep me busy well into next year.

Newer ones tend toward number grinding, LPCs or P&G, which don't seem like too much fun...at least to me.

Thanks for the encouragement. I find the older caches to be a bit more nostalgic and more off the beaten path; which I enjoy. Right now I got the Jersey Pine Barrens in my cross-hairs since there are many older caches there deep into the wild unknown. I think that should keep me busy well into next year.

Newer ones tend toward number grinding, LPCs or P&G, which don't seem like too much fun...at least to me.

You've got the right idea, squirrel. Keep doing what you're doing.

I frequent the pine barons, specifically the Wharton tract. It's a real magical place, especially this time of year. No bugs or overgrowth and the recent snow fall makes the forest looks incredible. If you've never been there, you'll most certainly want to bring somebody along who has. It's quite easy to get lost out there. Also, if you're going to cache in south Jersey, bring all of the 4 wheel drive you can muster up!

Now that I'm finally under 100 open days, this year I might work on getting my "found on" calendar filled in. I'll definitely work on getting my "placed on" calendar filled - I think I only have 20 more days on that one.

I completed a challenge this last year to get my combined average D/T to 4. I've since slipped down 0.02 points, but I'd like to keep both of those averages up.

I'd like to keep my percentage of traditionals below 85%, and continue with the trend that micros are not my most common size of cache found (I haven't consciously gone after either of those stats, but it's just worked out that way with my penchant for puzzles and preference to hike to find caches, so I'd like to keep it that way! :D ).

I'll continue to work on finding new combinations of D/T. I'm still about 20 away from a full grid, mostly the higher numbers, of course.

I'm not interest in number of finds, ftfs, or various challenges.

The stats most interesting to me are filling in places on the maps and the list of countries/states in which I've found a cache and other stats related to location rather than numbers. I like the cache-to-cache distance (currently 196,241 miles), average distance from home (476 miles) stats and the most northerly, southerly, easterly, and westerly caches (currently on four separate continents).

I completed the 366-day grid last year. Currently, I'm maintain a streak that I started during the 31 Days of August promotion, and I'm tracking my progress towards the Bay Area Quad Challenge (although my progress is slow).

At this point, I'm ignoring the difficulty–terrain grid, cache hide dates (Jasmer challenge), average difficulty or terrain ratings, cache size/type ratios, etc.

This year I finished getting a cache for every county in my state (FL), filled by Placed Date Grid, and just last month filled my Calendar Grid.

I still need to fill several spots on my D/T Grid. I'm also at just over 900 Finds for the year and would like to reach 1000 by Dec 31st. I'm also trying to get to 100 Multis found to qualify for some Challenge Caches.

My 2013 goals were to:

1. Maintain the ratio of having my photo gallery entry number be equal to or greater than my find count. 2. Half-way through the year I added trying to find more geocaches in 2013 than in my previous best year. (Met, but I’m 65 finds behind in logging at the moment.) 3.I did have a go at the August streak, which was an experiment outside my usual find style. The streak lasted 43 days before I quit due to the style clash, but it was interesting trying something different.

As hiking trails gain an ever increasing slew of micros, I have probably blown keeping my micro find level below 30% this month. I still try, but have had to adjust from 20%, and then 25% already, so this one is disappointing. Too many regular-sized finds have been rusty, broken, wet messes, so they have discouraged me from just seeking out the larger hides.

Well we found out about the streak in our first week of geocaching so we have gone with that. I find it fun for sure to have to find one everyday. That kind of cuts down on some other goals but figure most will be met by finding one everyday except for keeping a high D T for finds. I figure I will work on that once the streak is broken. Also like another member said I like to get ones far away from the last find to keep the mileage up between finds. I used to find one far away and then tried to find one close to home to add to the mileage but that would end up messing up the streak so we have stopped doing that. So for now it is the streak and filling in far away places on the map. We are going to take a road trip after christmas to try and get some different states in.

Good variety of answers, keep them coming! I've been round the world on that total distance one (Vegas trip helped; Lisbon did the last few thousand miles).

I stopped my stretch on 100. Would love to do exactly 3 caches a day, 1095, for 2013 but I don't think it's going to happen.

Forgot about my N/S/E/W! S & W are in Vegas. W probably always will be, but we'll visit the inlaws in Brazil one of these days (not too close to the World Cup or the Olympics, or it'll be silly money); E is in Italy; N is feeble, in Cambridgeshire (so about 1/4 of the way up Great Britain if you like).

Also please post any unusual stats you notice elsewhere - don't have to name names:

One of the UK's most prolific cachers - approaching 35000 - has done all but 5 in the UK

A lady who's on just under 2900 has done 617 "?"s and 227 multis, with a good smattering of other non-trads. Under 69% trads.

The first to 100 5/5s in the UK, and the leading lady 5/5er in the UK, are both in my region. Not a game I'm playing but all credit to those who do. Maybe when I was younger and not averse to a bit of caving and canoeing!

Filling in countries on the map mainly. Would also be nice to continue with the Jasmer. We still have 13 months open between 2000 and 2002 and we can do three more that are within public transport/cycling distance. Afterwards this needs to be combined with traveling :laughing: Something purely for the numbers, and hopefully for looking at some interesting geology: up the number of EarthCaches. Big time! :P

Edit: oh, and we have 3.8% DNFs and hope to reduce those a bit more as well. Always possible locally unless the Co archives the listing, but most of them are from travels, and I don't think we'll return to those places.

Mrs. terratin

Edited by terratin

Oh yea.. distance travelled...

I'd like to get to the Moon. I'm 96% of the way there.

Right now I'm at:

229324 Miles, Note: includes locationless caches.

9.22x Earth Circumnavigation,

0.960x Distance to the Moon

I'm getting close as well:

196241 Miles, Note: excludes locationless caches.

7.89x Earth Circumnavigation,

0.822x Distance to the Moon

And that is with less than 1200 finds.

For furthest N/E/W/S

Furthest cache found:9415.46 Miles, Bay Area: Esplanade Bridge GC2QV9M (Singapore)

Most Northerly cache found:N 55° 40.894, Rundetårn GCVE7R (Copenhagen, Denmark)

Most Southerly cache found:S 26° 10.486, Aviation GC15TVT (Johannesburg, South Africa)

Most Easterly cache found:E 140° 19.495, Narita Bridge GC2FN0M (Narita, Japan)

Most Westerly cache found:W 122° 28.803, Marin Headlands One GCA7F1 (San Francisco, Ca)

Edited by NYPaddleCacher

Ok, as we're comparing stats: Total cache-to-cache distance: 215,649 km, 5.39x earth circumnavigation, 0.561x distance to the moon (yes, I know it's not so far)

Furthest cache found: 8,669.54 km, Reductor de Velocidad, GC16PZA Mexico

Most Northerly cache found: N 62° 20.895, Múla GC4GMDB Faroe Islands

Most Southerly cache found: N 06° 07.163, Sukhawathi - A Taste of Ayurveda GCVMX4 Sri Lanka

Most Easterly cache found: E 080° 45.603, On Sigiriya rock GCGRR6 Sri Lanka

Most Westerly cache found: W 119° 33.905, Brass Cap Cache - Hythe GC43F3 Canada (note: this is likely to change again. Normally it's the Great Divide virtual http://coord.info/GC8160 between Alberta and British Columbia)

I'd like to get my D/T average to a 2/2, if only for a day, just to say I can and did. It's not quite as hard as I originally thought, but it's not that easy either. I started out about a year ago at 1.8/1.7 ish and am now at 2.01/1.9. That last .1 on terrain is going to be harder now that it's winter and paddle caches are not quite as enjoyable in the freezing cold. I only have one date (July 2000) left on my Jasmer and the closest is Power Island in MI. That's on the radar if travel allows. I'm working on a fun/interesting challenge called a Mystery History Challenge that requires you to find 5 unknown hides placed before 31 DEC 2001. I have 4 (2 in IN, one in TX and one in FL) and am getting the fifth one in Chicago in a couple of weeks. Three counties and one DeLorme tile (both in same area) left in my state and 5 virtuals in the state left as well. I'd also like to get more "oldest cache in the state" hides as well, again travel permitting. Finally, and I'm a long way from both, I'd like to get both Wherigos and Letterboxes up to 100, but that's more of a long range idea than a one year target.

My main goal as always is to take more geo-hikes in the woods, especially with my dog. I cannot cache with him on greenways or parks where he has to be kept on his leash. I still need to finish off NC County and Delorme Challenges. I'll play around with a few new challenges next year to direct my searches.

Already completed 366 & Fizzy/WRC grids, 100 day streak, and Jasmer, but still haven't logged a find on the NC version of the fizzy because the controlfreak CO has a date cut off and my 1/5 find was listed after his date restriction. There are only 3 listings statewide that meet the cutoff.

I used to care about keeping my post count below my find count. But after a few trips out west for power trail runs that isn't an issue any longer.

Right now I'm at:

You made me look. I apparently made it to the moon but must have slept through the event.

243519 Miles, Note: excludes locationless caches.

9.79x Earth Circumnavigation,

1.020x Distance to the Moon

Stats mean little to me and the only time I look is when someone else brings it up.

My other 2/3rds does like to keep track.

She likes her State and special day souvenirs, enough to not cache the month of August.

- Mustn't have been just us, as we've noticed that others not as steadfast can now delete 'em.

She keeps track of FTFs and with a little of my help (when she's working a day), just finished the calendar last year.

This year she wants to fill in the D/T grid.

If a cache I'm heading to fits ... hooray !

Right now I'm at:

I'm over halfway back again.

Total cache-to-cache distance: 386471 Miles, Note: excludes locationless caches.

15.53x Earth Circumnavigation,

1.618x Distance to the Moon

Over a year ago, I stumbled into a consecutive days streak. I'm now at 644 days (including today) and counting. I don't know that I have a specific goal in mind ... mostly, I'm trying to honor the streak as long as I can ... until circumstances interfere, or until it quits being fun and/or interferes with other family fun. I had a stretch around day 90 that was a little annoying, but I seem to have moved through it just fine.

Somewhat coincidentally, I'm working towards a local challenge that requires at least 2 finds on every calendar day (not necessarily consecutive). That doesn't quite require me to continue the streak, but it'll be a nice bonus if/when I get to two years straight.

I look with interest at my Jasmer/Fizzy grids, but I haven't quite gotten to the point where I'm actively trying to fill them. I don't have the equipment to tackle T5 caches (yet), so the Fizzy is somewhat out of bounds right now. And my travel is mostly restricted to business travel, so that doesn't always take me to Jasmer-rich areas. (Though we took a family vacation to DC last year, and the host of virtuals we found in the District filled a bunch of Jasmer spots without me trying too hard.)