Open Source Maps

Chloe & Peter Byers

Hello from the UK. Im looking for some help with maps. We are coming to south Africa in 2014 arriving in OR Tambo we then are planning on driving up to Botswana caching as we go whilst in Botswana and also on our way back down. Being from the UK if I try to use my mobile to cache with its going to be very expensive with data usage so I am looking to load my Garmin eTrex 30 with open source maps or something similar. Could anyone in the area give me any advice of what you all use or I might be able to use.

Hello from the UK. Im looking for some help with maps. We are coming to south Africa in 2014 arriving in OR Tambo we then are planning on driving up to Botswana caching as we go whilst in Botswana and also on our way back down. Being from the UK if I try to use my mobile to cache with its going to be very expensive with data usage so I am looking to load my Garmin eTrex 30 with open source maps or something similar. Could anyone in the area give me any advice of what you all use or I might be able to use.

Use OSM maps. Try this site for predefine maps or select your own. Download a format that will install to your Garmin via Mapsource or probably Bascamp now.

http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/

Its really straightforward.

The maps are good and fully routeable but lacking street address information but if you have the waypoints loaded it will route you no problem.

You can download info from OSM and make your own but the above site is the simplest method that I have found.

Enjoy your new free maps!

Trev

Added

I just tried it out and the pre built maps seem to be downloaded just as an .img file - this should be nor problem for your etrex as I think all the new Garmins allow you to just dump as many .img files in your GPS as you want (probably up to a maximum)

If you set the manual seletion and select just the tile you need then I think it packages up the img file as a Mapsource install file for older units that have to have the maps loaded by Mapsource instead of just dumping a img file.

Edited by trevorh7000