why do logs disappear from the web page

k7da

I've only had one log removed from a cache page, some *grumble* *grumble* CO decided my note about lack of maintenance was unwelcome, despite I'll likely never be in the area again to attempt such an old cache. I received an email that it had been purged by the owner.

I expect if someone is deleting your finds you should be receiving an email on each one from Groundspeak/Geocaching.com

Could you post the GC Codes for some of these caches you found? A volunteer cache reviewer can see the history of all logs that have ever been deleted from a cache page. If there are no deleted logs from your account then diagnosis can turn to things like field notes not going through, etc. If logs were deleted then we can discuss "who" and "why."

I had logs deleted once, from three caches all from one CO in one night. I had done a ridiculously asinine power trail with copy and paste logs, and then grabbed three of his caches that were adjacent to the series. I took the time to write specific logs for his caches, with details of the find and the hunt. The logs were deleted because I mentioned that I was "... in the area working the XXXX Series." The CO ended up with a very generic log from me, instead of the detailed log that simply contained a brief mention of the powertrail that brought me to the area.

The CO had a serious case of sour-grapes regarding this powertrail...

Ive had logs deleted because COs didn't like what I've had to say (esp when it comes to PP issues). I've simply emailed them back, told them I would relog my find until the cows came home but if they deleted it again be prepared to elevate it to GS.

If you found the cache, and signed the log, then you get the find. Period.

Resubmit your find it log if it's a valid find

GC36RA6

GC40936

these are two that i remember. the first has been re-logged and the second is the one i found last night that started this message and have not re=logged yet.

the rest i don't remember where they are.

i understand co's deleting messages for what ever reason but i have never gotten a message back that it had been deleted.

The first cache, you logged a find on 7/25/13 and that is your only log. There are no deleted logs on that cache for your account.

The second cache, you have never logged. There are no deleted logs on that cache for your account.

How do you typically log your finds online? Do you use field notes, a mass logging macro, etc., or do you just go to each cache page and log the cache from there?

now you see the problem. BOTH of these caches HAVE been logged in the past and and i logged the first cache a second time and the second caches has not been logged a second time as i waiting to resolve this problem.

there are other caches that also have lost the log entry on the web site but i did not keep a list.

i log each cache by hand on each cache page.

Edited by k7da

No, you logged the first cache once and the second cache zero times. Please re-read my prior post. The problem was that your first logs did not submit for some reason. They were never there in the first place to "disappear" later (i.e., deleted).

Logs don't "disappear." They either don't go through when submitted (sometimes the website misbehaves), they were never submitted at all, or they are deleted by someone. We have ruled out the third option.

I have written nearly 60,000 logs on cache pages over the years, and have yet to see one simply "disappear." I *have* experienced field note issues, copy-paste issues, website burps, smarthphone app burps, owner deletions and mistaken self-deletions.

GC36RA6 has a deleted log entry for username Trunk Monkies.

GC40936 has a deleted log entry for username Funky Toad.

Do you have any relationship to either of these accounts? Sometimes when one person has access to multiple accounts, they think they are logged in as one account but are actually logging under the other account. Then they delete the mistaken log, or the cache owner deletes it because the signatures don't match.

There are no other deleted "found it" logs on either listing.

Well...only one way I can see to find out. Log them (again, or for the first time...whatever, it doesn't matter), snap a screen shot of the log on the cache pages online log. Then if it goes missing without an email (be sure you're checking your spam folder...it could be there for some reason), you would have a case for some sort of site glitch. If it stays in place...well, problem solved.

You are correct, the lackeys rarely participate in the general topics sandbox. However, Keystone has several helpful posts He is a moderator and volunteer reviewer with more than a few years of experience. He is able to see the archived logs on the listings in question and has addressed your concerns. The lackeys won't be able to see anything more than he was able to.

i guess there is no participation by lackies in these forms. which is too bad

i have seen no official reply

so i guess the problem goes unsolved.

thanks for the effort

dave

Keystone's answer is usually the correct answer and rarely does a lackey need to answer beyond that. If you want an official answer, file an appeal, but since Keystone has already said that none of your logs were deleted, there is nothing to appeal.

thanks for the effort

dave

Perhaps you don't understand the functions of the folks at Groundspeak. A Lackey would more than likely refer you to a Reviewer...such as Keystone.

You're not answering Keystone's questions. Why? He's the one who has told you the facts, which none of us regular folks could possibly know. Keystone can see the history of logging of a cache, which he has detailed for you:

GC36RA6 has a deleted log entry for username Trunk Monkies.

GC40936 has a deleted log entry for username Funky Toad.

Do you have any relationship to either of these accounts? Sometimes when one person has access to multiple accounts, they think they are logged in as one account but are actually logging under the other account. Then they delete the mistaken log, or the cache owner deletes it because the signatures don't match.

There are no other deleted "found it" logs on either listing.

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

thanks for the effort

dave

You will not get a more official reply than what Keystone has gave you. He is da man, and you can't get no higher up. His word is golden here in the forums. I'm glad he is here to help us. :)

Yep, you guys have got it.

k7da: We subscribe to all the forum threads that pop up, get notifications on all new posts, and read through them on a daily basis. If we see that one of the amazing moderators, reviewers, or community members has provided some excellent answers in those threads then there's no need for us to pop in and duplicate efforts or possibly confuse the situation. The community who gathers here is incredibly well versed in all aspects of the game. Their involvement with the community and willingness to share their earned wisdom is invaluable. In other words: their word is just as good as (more likely, better) than ours. :D