OSM Routable Map for USA

I installed an OSM routable map for (just) Colorado a long time ago but now want to expand coverage to the entire USA for planning a cross country trip.

I found and downloaded an ".img" file for my GPSs and already have it working there, but I can't seem to find the file with an installer to make it one of the map options available in Basecamp.

Am I missing something?

I've already done the "virtual GPS" trick on a thumbdrive, and I know that as long as I have my GPS hooked up to the PC I can see the maps but I was wanting to actually install that version to the PC.

Further development....

I selected and downloaded a rectangle "chunk" that gets CO,AZ,NM,KS,OK,TX. Everything went well and installed fine in Basecamp.

However, I started with a simple little route between Grand Junction ,CO to Dallas, TX and found the "Routing" to be TERRIBLE !!!

I'm not talking about a minor highway choice here or there. I'm talking about completely "Off the Wall" choices that literally more than double any reasonable common sense choice of route.

GJ east all the way to KC then south and immediately west thru Wichita KS all the way back to Amarillo,TX, then south thru Lubbock TX, then south to I-20 and back east to Ft Worth......

If I change to a different routable map in Basecamp, with NO OTHER CHANGES in Basecamp, a reasonable route is chosen.

Did you select any exceptions or so??

Routing should ba as good as Garmin's.

Routing/avoidance

No exceptions , absolutely default.(and no via points) I can change to the (OSM) routable maps on my GPS or (the same on my Virtual GPS on thumbdrive) and routing's fine. That ia an img file of whole USA.

I can select the route, go to advanced , recalculate .....does it's thing but comes up with the same route. I can then change to different map, same route shows up, but when I do the advanced,recalculate thing , it recalculates and produces a good/reasonable route.

Must be bad routing associated with just this download or just this map.

I've had very inconsistent results with routing on OSM maps. The trouble very often appears to be discontinuities at road crossings and other intersections. The roads appear to intersect, but are not connected in the actual map data. That really goofs with routing. Some day, I'll have to download the tool for editing and see if I can see the exact nature of some of the problems that I have encountered.

Remember that OSM is a user-maintained map (kind of like Wikipedia). It's sometimes subjective what level of road is designated to a segment, and occasionally major roads are reported as minor roads and minor roads reported as major. Same with paved/unpaved, etc. Unlike Navteq, which supplies the data for Garmin's maps, OSM doesn't have an army of paid users to go out and check/verify road data, so it's up to users to update the map and make it accurate.

For being free, OSM is a great alternative to buying Garmin's maps, but if you really need reliable turn by turn navigation, you're better off with some sort of paid alternative, or, if you're in 3G/4G range, use a smartphone and google maps to navigate the roads.

Depends upon your GPS. Not like all brands use the same kind of files so ...

If Garmin, you need the *.img file from inside

osm_generic_gmapsupp.zip

installed in the "Garmin" folder on your unit.

If you want to install also for Basecamp or Mapsource for your PC, then you will also want to grab the

osm_generic_windows.exe

file and get that downloaded and run it on your PC.

osm_generic_gmapsupp.zip

If you want to install also for Basecamp or Mapsource for your PC, then you will also want to grab the

osm_generic_windows.exe

osm_generic_gmapsupp.zip

osm_generic_windows.exe

Thanks for that information! Can I store the *.img files on an SD card and then access it with the GPS unit (I have a Garmin, by the way)? Also, I downloaded basecamp, do you use the program and what are some useful benefits?

Yes. You will need to create a folder on the uSD card called "Garmin" (case sensitive!) and slide the *.img file over into that folder. Your unit will read any and all *.img maps either internal or in uSD card.

I use Basecamp only if I need access to Birdseye images. For most things, I'm still happier with the speed and general performance of Mapsource (the older program). Benefits of either include the ability to see cache locations in detail and create your own route. As a premium member, you can download "Pocket Queries" (if you're not familiar with these, you need to do some reading -- they're probably 90% of the value of your premium membership). Those pocket queries can then be shipped over to Basecamp or Mapsource to view on those maps and you can build a track of your planned route easily. I take the track I build in Mapsource with the "Route tool" and copy (good old CTRL-C) the GC codes over to an Excel spreadsheet where I add commentary about how to access caches, any hints I discover in the logs, etc. and we use that as a worksheet during a long day of caching.

Yes. You will need to create a folder on the uSD card called "Garmin" (case sensitive!) and slide the *.img file over into that folder. Your unit will read any and all *.img maps either internal or in uSD card.

I use Basecamp only if I need access to Birdseye images. For most things, I'm still happier with the speed and general performance of Mapsource (the older program). Benefits of either include the ability to see cache locations in detail and create your own route. As a premium member, you can download "Pocket Queries" (if you're not familiar with these, you need to do some reading -- they're probably 90% of the value of your premium membership). Those pocket queries can then be shipped over to Basecamp or Mapsource to view on those maps and you can build a track of your planned route easily. I take the track I build in Mapsource with the "Route tool" and copy (good old CTRL-C) the GC codes over to an Excel spreadsheet where I add commentary about how to access caches, any hints I discover in the logs, etc. and we use that as a worksheet during a long day of caching.

Solid information, thanks! I'm getting more familiar with the pocket quieries and realize I haven't scratched the surface of what they can do for me. I will have to try out both programs and might try out your excel spreadsheet method. (Got to love CTRL-C!)