Off Course Data Field

KaitlinV

Older generation Garmin units would show off-course (right or left). Our GPS12 and GPS72 did that. I don't think the newer Garmin units do. Our Venture HC did not.

Perhaps the OP's "older version" was one of those pretty early brick-types.

Yes, the Left and Right. I was hoping the newer models were capable of that as well.

Older generation Garmin units would show off-course (right or left). Our GPS12 and GPS72 did that. I don't think the newer Garmin units do. Our Venture HC did not.

Perhaps the OP's "older version" was one of those pretty early brick-types.

Yes, the Left and Right. I was hoping the newer models were capable of that as well.

With the compass page showing press menu asnd then setup heading. You should then be able to select course for the compass. There are several course data fields available. Check out page 54 of your user manual for the one you want.

I will comment that course is a bit strange to use for geocaching, it establishes a line to the destination waypoint and then indicates if your left or right and how much. The arrow points to the direction you need to go to get back on course. It is more useful in a boat while navigating to your next waypoint. Most use bearing for geocaching, the arrow in this case points at the waypoint and the course readings really don't matter.

Edited by jholly

On the newer units with a compass you can choose a CDI course deviation pointer that shows your cross track error on either side of your bearing line to a point and has 3 different scales which you choose with the in/ out buttons . Also you can have a field box that tells you turn left or right #degrees or mils to get back on course and there is still an off course box as well but if I remember it doesnt say in which direction, hope thats what you wanted to know.You can also set cross track or off course alarms for a specific distance. Also proximity alarms for approaching a point and anchor drag for leaving, just in case you didnt know.

Same as Jholly said basically

Edited by Forkeye

Isn't the "off Course" data field choice what you guys are saying doesn't exist any more?

If so, I have several units that say you are incorrect..............

There's an "Off course" (in distance), a "To Course" (in bearing)..... both are only applicable when you are navigating and would have the bearing pointer, which would be pointing right or left (or straight ahead if you are on course)

I think the off course with distance still exists it just doesnt say left or right any more , another data field says turn left or right in degrees, but I dont have my gps with me this moment to check. And distance to course as well still exists I think. The highway page on the 60 and 76 series also had some kind of cross track scale if I remember, but I don't have that unit any more to check.

Edited by Forkeye

[…] I have never used Off Course and the example you show doesn't indicate direction.[…]

Of course not. »Off course« indicates a distance (ie: how far you are Off your course, wheras »Turn« gives you advice how to turn to reach your target location (value given as angle).

Course.jpg

Hans

Edited by HHL

My Garmin 600 lets me know when I am off course. On the older version it would inform me if I am Off Course to the Left or to The Right. I can not figure out how to have my new one tell me this. Can someone help me?

The datafield you're looking for is called »Turn«.

Hans