GPS for UK use

Treacle113

I am new to Geocaching and would like to buy a GPS to use with my daughters, I cant afford to spend much(under £150) but would like something accurate, with maps (or access to free maps?), easy to use and a colour screen. Is there any chance of this? and if so what and where from? I have tried doing research but there is so much info I don't know where to start!

You can get the Etrex 20 in Cotswold Outdoor for £135 ... add free maps from www.talkytoaster.co.uk and you're good to go :)

http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/garmin-etrex-20-gps-a2110130

Is it easy to set up, are there clear instructions somewhere? I've never used a GPS before.

Cachers are generally a friendley and helpful bunch...

Try to get to an event, let others know you're going and would like some help, and you get plenty of help!

Another vote for the Etrex 20, and definitely the free "TalkyToaster" maps. I actually have the Etrex30, which is fundamentally the same unit with a few bells & whistles which puts the price up a bit. There's also an Etrex10 but that doesn't take maps so won't fit your requirements.

Have a shop around online including Amazon, GoOutdoors.co.uk & handtec.co.uk as well as Cotswold.

There was a link someone was sharing on Facebook within the last few days for a Garmin offer, I didn't pay a lot of attention as I'm not in the market for one but it was potentially a big saving - so have a look for that. I can't get to Facebook at work to check but I'll see if I can dig it out tonight.

I got my wife an eTrex 20, with the free TalkyToaster maps - she loves it. It's pretty easy to learn the basics, but there's quite a lot to dig into to set it up just how you want once you get more familiar with it. I have the eTrex 30 - adds barometer and altimeter, magnetic compass, and ANT+ connectivity for heart-rate and cadence sensors.

Both are good - with some limitations (the processor is a bit slow and screen re-draws are a little sluggish).

Magellan GPSR's are available, but they really don't seem to have the same mapping support or user-base behind them.

Edited by RamblinBear