Oregon 450 or Dakota 20.

mty55

I was thinking about buying the little woman a new gps for Christmas. This will be strictly used for geocaching. I found a deal on a now discontinued Oregon 450 and a Dakota 20 for a few bucks more. I know the Oregons are trustworthy but I don't see much if any support in the future. I don't know much about the Dakota 20, but at least its current production. Any help on the matter would be appreciated.

Thanks

The Dakota 20 is a lesser version of an Oregon 450 in several respects (screen clarity/resolution, unit-to-unit transfer, 3000 more caches, etc.). I doubt that the Dakota 20 is still in production -- but instead, that there may be a fair leftover inventory of unsold units. They were released more or less concurrently in the summer of '09.

That you can purchase a 450 for less than a 20 says "Buy the 450!". I doubt either will have any significant support going forward. I've seen the 450 new going for $169 this holiday season. Heck of a deal.