iPhone App not downloading unfound caches

maxkim

Is anyone else having trouble with the official iPhone app? (On ios 6) When I try to find nearest unfound I get the message....

"Network Failure

There was a problem connecting to geocaching.com. Please check your network connection and try again later"

Have tried re-booting etc all to no avail... Connection good as I can go via the GC.com website and all is ok... <_<

Shame as this is what you use this app for...

Give it some time....sometimes there is a poor and/or lack of 'connection' to Groundspeak for a variety of reasons. It'll clear itself up in due time. Close the app and reopen it and try again. It has nothing to do with your APP but everything to do with the 'connection' to the internet.

If you are on the deceased network orange who became EE they have two levels of useless signal. The 3G works ok with the app. However if you are on the edge of 3G with one dot it will sometimes come back as "signal failure" in the white box. But often it's still working behind that message. Other times it means it. You just have to hit the search button again. But if it's on GPRS - well it's working but it's far slooooower. Just keep hitting search again and ignore the message. It drops out if signal is not fast enough.

What you could do as they have improved the maps abilities now but ruined the menu system to find it is go to an area with a great signal. Select the area you want to search in via a GC code of an unfound cache you want. It will bring back the cache. Rummage through the menu till you find "find other nearby caches". Select that. It will ask to abandon this search. Select yes. It will now search and give you a list if all caches near that one. Click on map. And scroll all around that are. It will produce 30 results each time. Some overlapping. Save them for offline use. It downloads far faster now as well. Then even if you have no signal - in the area you want to search - you can magically still go caching. No idea how. As it still shows the map and where you are on it. Yet nothing else works lol. Anyhow it's a lot better than it was.

If you are not afflicted with EE I would imagine some similar reason applies. But if you are EE search online for the problem we are all having with EE that is the iPhones fault that Apple say is EE's fault and back and forth and back and forth blah blah. Hope that's helped.

Is anyone else having trouble with the official iPhone app? (On ios 6) When I try to find nearest unfound I get the message....

"Network Failure

There was a problem connecting to geocaching.com. Please check your network connection and try again later"

Have tried re-booting etc all to no avail... Connection good as I can go via the GC.com website and all is ok... <_<

Shame as this is what you use this app for...

I know of about 6 people who are having the problem, including myself, and they all started at the same time. Also at the same time as the GC app failing I started getting timeouts when GSAK was using the API. Both problems continued for 24 hours, after which I "solved" the GSAK problem by increasing the timeout from the default 45 seconds up to 5 minutes. The GC app problem remains. It seems pretty clear that Groundspeak have made some change, but that it affects only a relatively small number of people.

The GSAK problem was important to me, but is now sorted, the GC app really doesn't affect me to any great degree as I use it so infrequently, and have alternatives.

Rgds, Andy

Thanks for that....

For info I'm on O2. I have tried killing the app and rebooting the phone.

Re connection I was on full strength 3G in the centre of Manchester.

I'm glad it's not just me... :unsure:

M

It should be fixed now. It appears that the issue became apparent when a request was made centred at a location of high cache density, which is why some people saw it and others didn't.

Rgds, Andy