Special Site Release - December 5, 2013

Looks like they just get greyed out - they aren't disappearing completely, even after reloading.

I see 9 of yours. The greyed out mean that other people cant see them. Maybe I am wrong.

Correct. Hiding a souvenir only removes it from your public profile page. You can use the Find a User page to get a direct link to your own profile page.

Edited by Radnor

An additional release has gone out today that adds the ability to hide and show individual souvenirs on your public profile.

Simply visit this page: http://www.geocachin.../souvenirs.aspx

Thanks. I've hidden some, and have bookmarked that page for future use. But is there a way to get to it from my Profile page? If I click on the Souvenirs tab, I just see my public Souvenirs, with no indication that I can hide them or that there are others that I could show. How would anyone who didn't see this forum thread know about this feature?

Looks like they just get greyed out - they aren't disappearing completely, even after reloading.

I see 9 of yours. The greyed out mean that other people cant see them. Maybe I am wrong.

Correct. Hiding a souvenir only removes it from your public profile page. You can use the Find a User page to get a direct link to your own profile page.

OK, really great to have this.

I usually get to my profile by clicking on my name top right corner of almost any page, so don't see my actual "Public" profile very often.

I'm just curious - what is the reasoning behind wanting to hide some souvenirs? I have no issue with users wanting to so. I'm just not understanding what the motivation to hide some would be?

My take is that some people value some souvenirs more than others for various reasons. Others don't like the souvenirs at all. Still others want to hide everything they can for security, a desire for anonymity, or whatever.

I'm just curious - what is the reasoning behind wanting to hide some souvenirs? I have no issue with users wanting to so. I'm just not understanding what the motivation to hide some would be?

From comments made in August, I understand some (UK) cachers were not very interested in those one-a-day souvenirs. They said they just cluttered up their souvenir page, they were more interested in their Country souvenirs and the indiviual Special Date souvenirs. So I guess they might want to exterminate the ones they perceive to be less interesting.

MrsB

I did not want the August suvi's. I wanted them gone. I simply did not like them. But I wanted to cache in August.

As long as you accept that there are people that really do find souvenirs interesting and want to show off which souvenirs they have, then it should be easy to understand that they don't want people looking at their souvenirs to have to start by scrolling through 31 souvenirs that start with "August" and reflect no particular accomplishment. A couple other much rarer examples: suppressing a souvenir you got by accident, and being embarrassed about having been to New Jersey.

Edited to add: I just realized it's worse than I thought: those souvenirs start with "31", not "August", so alphabetically they come even before any souvenirs that start with "A".

Edited by dprovan

those souvenirs start with "31", not "August", so alphabetically they come even before any souvenirs that start with "A".

We actually had a lot of debate on the best way to name those souvenirs, and this way made the most sense in order to have all the souvenirs appear near each other.

Putting in a "Is this souvenir hidden?" column into the database was relatively easy so it went out first. Now we just have to figure out how best to store things like custom grouping/folders, sorting, etc. Stay tuned!

From comments made in August, I understand some (UK) cachers were not very interested in those one-a-day souvenirs. They said they just cluttered up their souvenir page, they were more interested in their Country souvenirs and the indiviual Special Date souvenirs. So I guess they might want to exterminate the ones they perceive to be less interesting.

MrsB

I expect my souvenirs to reflect some sort of event or achievement.

I don't consider just going out and finding any one cache to meet this criteria.

If there had been ONE souvenir for finding a cache every day in August, that would be worthy of having.

those souvenirs start with "31", not "August", so alphabetically they come even before any souvenirs that start with "A".

We actually had a lot of debate on the best way to name those souvenirs, and this way made the most sense in order to have all the souvenirs appear near each other.

Putting in a "Is this souvenir hidden?" column into the database was relatively easy so it went out first. Now we just have to figure out how best to store things like custom grouping/folders, sorting, etc. Stay tuned!

You actually debated this before you considered spamming all those accounts with totally worthless graffiti? And you still went ahead with it? Wow. During all that debate, did at least one discussion participant mention that some members were going to think your August plan was so stupid that they would decide to NOT FIND ANY CACHES AT ALL IN AUGUST? The discussion instead was only about how to name it so they would stay close to each other? I could have offered you a few choice suggestions. Thank You very little for ruining a very pleasant month in the Northeast (sorry, Mid Atlantic) for me. What is your plan to compensate me for those lost opportunities?

You already know you can never make everybody happy, but you seem to have to constantly work to make different groups a little less unhappy. Fewer bad ideas up front (better mistakes?) would require less damage control later. We have the ability to hide these now (done). Delete would have been better, but don't waste any more time on this.

You actually debated this before you considered spamming all those accounts with totally worthless graffiti? And you still went ahead with it? Wow. During all that debate, did at least one discussion participant mention that some members were going to think your August plan was so stupid that they would decide to NOT FIND ANY CACHES AT ALL IN AUGUST? The discussion instead was only about how to name it so they would stay close to each other? I could have offered you a few choice suggestions. Thank You very little for ruining a very pleasant month in the Northeast (sorry, Mid Atlantic) for me. What is your plan to compensate me for those lost opportunities?

You already know you can never make everybody happy, but you seem to have to constantly work to make different groups a little less unhappy. Fewer bad ideas up front (better mistakes?) would require less damage control later. We have the ability to hide these now (done). Delete would have been better, but don't waste any more time on this.

Yeah, I didn't like them and didn't want them. But I cached anyway, I just decided not to look at that part of the profile. My decision was nicely rewarded here a couple days ago. So instead of bashing GS, as Moun10bike can verify that I do a pretty good job of, I gave them a thank you and a well done for the feature. And I'm quite happy with my decision to cache in August and even happier with the new feature. So much so I won't even offer any suggestions on extensions to the feature.

This is one of the more insulting posts I've seen in these forums in a long, long time. Radnor decided to undertake this project on his own initiative after seeing the request from users for such a feature. He was not part of the group that decided we should take on the 31 Days promotion, but even if he had been he wouldn't have deserved this sort of rant.

People wonder why Groundspeak employees aren't very active in the Forums. That's a frequent complaint. I think one reason for this are posts like that one from Cardinal Red.

Radnor followed the forums, learned of the concern about souvenirs, advocated for the recently implemented feature improvement, and got it prioritized for development and release. Instead of reading constructive feedback and the well-earned thank-you's, an over the top, negative and off topic post is what he will remember. Why would he come back to monitor for other suggestions? Ask yourself what you would do in the same situation.

The solution for this is to strongly discourage over the top posts, while still encouraging constructive criticism and spirited debate. I am pleased to see the recent posts from community members like jholly and cheech gang. Community pressure can change the mood of the conversation. And, when that isn't enough, the moderating team can step in.

{stepping up on my soapbox}

Some of the people on this forum are just pathetic and will come on here just to complain about anything and everything, especially if it slams Groundspeak or its employees.

No, I do not agree with everything Groundspeak does, but I appreciate their efforts. In any case, I was taught to respect others enough to either engage in civil discourse if there is a disagreement or, if I can't seem to muster the ability to do that, just shut up.

In this case, I enjoyed going after the August souvenirs and although I have no need of it, I appreciate the efforts to respond to users wishes and put in the hide features, especially now that we know it was on 1 person's own initiative. Job well done.

As for Cardinal Red, who do you think you are to speak to people that way and expect Groundspeak to bend to the wishes of you and others like you that are so petty about some digital artwork that you would forgo caching just to avoid getting a little picture or 2 and then have the nerve to come in here, insult people trying to make the experience a little better for some, and gripe about being made to skip caching which was entirely your choice. You owe some people a HUGE apology but you are clearly far too self-centered and have too much a sense of self-importance and entitlement to see it, much less do it.

Oh. By the way. You need to look up what "spamming" is.

{stepping down}

It's posts like Cardinal Red's that disappoint me. Not only are they discouraging to the Lackeys who are trying to do their best job at giving the community what they want, but it's completely ignorant to the fact that GS put their man hours into making features that we've been wanting possible. So instead of bashing the hard working Lackeys.....I'd like the say THANK YOU! for working so hard to give us the features that we're looking for! I wasn't thrilled about the souvenirs throughout August, although I cached everyday regardless. It is a pleasure to see something like this implemented though, so we can all quit complaining about it :anitongue:

Edited by billdavidsaurus

This is one of the more insulting posts I've seen in these forums in a long, long time. Radnor decided to undertake this project on his own initiative after seeing the request from users for such a feature. He was not part of the group that decided we should take on the 31 Days promotion, but even if he had been he wouldn't have deserved this sort of rant.

Coming out of hiding briefly, I would like to say that it seems to me that there has been a bit of a miscommunication here. It sounds to me as though Cardinal Red is really talking about the entire feature evaluation and development processes, and NOT intending to disrespect the very helpful work that Radnor took it upon himself to do. Radnor was fixing the sort of problem that Cardinal Red (if I read him right) was talking about... giving users features that they never asked for, without even trying to figure out that just maybe they do not want it! Thanks Radnor for taking the initiative, and thanks Cardinal Red for speaking your mind despite the fact that opposing opinions seem to be unwelcome around here.

I have to admit that I don't visit the forums very often but I did read the whole of this thread. Can I suggest that next time a souvenir is likely to be given automatically for something, you also give the recipient the choice whether they want to accept it. That way there would be no need for this type of thing in the future as those not wanting them will just say no. I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to add a pop-up box for an ADD or REJECT option "before" giving something to somebody that then gets hidden.

Edited by Go catch

No worries! I'm a old usenet veteran. I've seen worse. :anibad:

Glad some (most?) of you enjoy the feature, and please feel free to send me a PM if you have any constructive ideas!

Didja get any death threats on usenet like I did? :ph34r:

Thanks! I must admit, I didn't like having 8 random 31 days of caching souvie's, and I have hidden them.

I read Cardinal Red's rant a bit differently than others did, I guess. As far as I could tell, he was using this thread as another excuse to complain about the entire "August Plan" (the creation of Souvenirs for every day in August), not Radnor's work that added the ability to hide Souvenirs.

His post was undoubtedly unacceptably rude and insulting, but I don't think it was aimed at Radnor specifically.

While I'm here, I'll add my thanks to Radnor for responding to those who wanted more control over which Souvenirs are displayed. I won't be taking advantage of the new feature, since I don't really care what souvenirs are or aren't displayed in my profile, but your efforts are appreciated.

As an aside, I'm a survivor of some bloody Usenet battles myself. B)

--Larry

I must admit I was against the August souvenir spew from the beginning, and politely expressed my opinion early on.

Despite my meager protestations, that train left the station. I proceeded to seek caches at my normal pace and managed to acumulate a dozen or so unwanted souvenirs. Those souvenirs have now been removed from my public profile courtesy of the efforts of Radnor.

I did not chose to boycott August. The fact that Mr Red did is on him, nobody else. The rant, regardless of where it was directed is totally uncalled for. I cannot agree with those who support him.

(edited to keerekt speeling)

Edited by cheech gang

Well I guess I do have a complaint, although it is probably not something Radnor can fix, the API returns all souvenirs, even ones that are hidden. Perhaps someone can wander down the hall and point out to the API guys there is a new column in the database they need to check before sending out the API data?

Come now :santa: . If the children were ungrateful when they got all those souvenirs and cried because they didn't have a way to refuse their gifts, why would you be surprised that they are ungrateful now that you gave them a way to refuse presents.

I hereby nominate Radnor for the "Lackey of the Year" award! His initiative to correct an issue which bothered a very vocal segment of the Geocaching population must be rewarded. The rant of the redbird repeated the many back in late-July/August about that whole souvenir-a-day thing. I'm unsure if it was directed directly at anyone, or if it was directed at TPTB in general. Either way, it was a bit over-the-top.

THANK YOU to Radnor for making it possible for me to hide those superfluous (in my opinion) souvenirs. Now, can you take a look at the Intro App thread?

I expect my souvenirs to reflect some sort of event or achievement.

I don't consider just going out and finding any one cache to meet this criteria.

If there had been ONE souvenir for finding a cache every day in August, that would be worthy of having.

My thoughts exactly!

I had a family emergency that kept me from the forums for the last couple of weeks, so I haven't been able to comment.

I found it a bit silly that some cachers actually boycotted finding caches in August because of the unwanted souvenirs. I think a little bit of transparency on Groundspeak's part could have avoided all of this.

Since the Feedback forum was discontinued, I have a been a very vocal part of the forums about the lack of feedback regarding development and especially response to repeated requests from different members about similar issues. That said, I am VERY happy about this new feature. It gives me hope that while there may be no, or little public response, the messages are obviously getting through.

I was following a thread in the GSAK forum today about an api issue. The OP was advised to put his request on the Groundspeak forum where his response was "why bother, they don't listen". Frankly, your users should not have a reason to have that attitude. I understand that every request can not have an individual response, but when a dozen forum threads all focus on the same topic, (August souvenirs), and you are actually looking at a solution, why not say so?

I also know that it is now December and not August, and between then and now there seems to be a shift towards better communication. I've always had the impression that Moun10bike has been stuck in a tough spot, and I think that Jayme has been the most positive thing to hit this forum in a long time.

For some reason, I think that Groundspeak should probably download and watch all of the old Dilbert cartoons which satirized the constant battle between Marketing and Development.