Profile for User vs. Your Statistics

brilang

I use GSAK to generate my Geocaching statistics. It's a fun little tool. I keep it up to date, so I edit my public profile page every day. You can check YOUR profile here: http://www.geocaching.com/profile/

This page features a big number of Caches Found as well as Trackables Logged. My total finds matches my total finds in GSAK.

The Your Statistics page on the other hand is off by 7 Finds. You can check YOUR statistics here: http://www.geocaching.com/my/statistics.aspx

I know exactly which 7 finds they are off by as well. They are the 7 lab caches I found during the Geocaching Block Party in August.

This appears to be a bug. The bug is due to the fact that the Statistics page doesn't show the Lab caches while the Profile page does.

If this is not the right place to report a website bug, please move this message to where it belongs.

I use GSAK to generate my Geocaching statistics. It's a fun little tool. I keep it up to date, so I edit my public profile page every day. You can check YOUR profile here: http://www.geocaching.com/profile/

This page features a big number of Caches Found as well as Trackables Logged. My total finds matches my total finds in GSAK.

The Your Statistics page on the other hand is off by 7 Finds. You can check YOUR statistics here: http://www.geocaching.com/my/statistics.aspx

I know exactly which 7 finds they are off by as well. They are the 7 lab caches I found during the Geocaching Block Party in August.

This appears to be a bug. The bug is due to the fact that the Statistics page doesn't show the Lab caches while the Profile page does.

If this is not the right place to report a website bug, please move this message to where it belongs.

It's not a bug.

If you do a search of the forums for threads about the Lab Caches, you will see that this is the intended results.

The search function does work, despite what some folks will say.

B.

I don't understand why you go to all the trouble of manually updating when you can go to http://project-gc.com/ set up a profile, paste the generated URL in your provile and all your stats are shown automatically and updated. Seems like a lot of unnecessary work.

My sister lives in Langley so I get up to your area about once a year but haven't found any of yours.

Edited by Walts Hunting

Moving from the Geocaching Web Site forum to the "How do I..." forum.

My understanding is that there's a way to edit your finds in GSAK to include your lab caches. I haven't tried this, so maybe someone else can provide details. There's likely a thread about this in the forums over at GSAK.net.

Unlike GSAK, Project-GC currently has no functionality for including your lab cache finds in their statistics reporting features.

Moving from the Geocaching Web Site forum to the "How do I..." forum.

My understanding is that there's a way to edit your finds in GSAK to include your lab caches. I haven't tried this, so maybe someone else can provide details. There's likely a thread about this in the forums over at GSAK.net.

Unlike GSAK, Project-GC currently has no functionality for including your lab cache finds in their statistics reporting features.

I looked it up. What they did was load them into GSAK. Change the type to traditional and then use the Stats Macro to generate their stats. No one in that thread mentioned any way to change the GS stats.

Please see the Special Release Notes thread about Lab Caches for a more complete discussion / explanation of the Lab Cache concept. Because lab caches are experimental, they only have a limited effect on your statistics (such as incrementing your overall find count). This is by design and is not a bug.

If the "Special Event Cache" becomes a fully baked cache type after experimenting with it in the Laboratory as a Lab Cache, then I would agree that it would be a "bug" if that new permanent cache type were not fully integrated into each user's statistics.

I was at Block Party, too, and read about all this before making a decision to try out the Lab Caches. I decided I'd rather try something new and different, and not worry about the discrepancy in my statistics that was explained to me. I'm glad I did, because I enjoyed the experience!

My point is: The Lab caches ARE INCLUDED in my total finds on my PROFILE page, but not on my STATISTICS page. This is a bug in the display on Groundspeak's end.

A bug is when something happens in a program that was unexpected. This was a decision made before the caches were tried out.

You guys still don't get it. On the PROFILE Page, I have 989 finds as of this evening. On the STATISTICS Page, I have 981. There is one duplicate find, and 7 Lab caches missing from the total on the Stats page. This is a bug. It is an unexpected result when the two numbers should match.

No, you don't get it. Read THIS. All of it.

Part three, or Does this count as a find? is what you need to concentrate on.

It reads:

Does this count as a find?

Absolutely! For every Lab Cache you find, you’ll earn a smiley and your find count will go up. However, since these aren’t full-fledged geocaches, they won’t earn you souvenirs (including for the 31 Days of Geocaching), count toward earning Favorite Points or affect the statistics you see on your profile.

Everybody has been telling you, they count on your finds, but do not count for anything else.

If you want your stats to match your find count, delete your lab caches.

Here's a linked post on the how to.

My point is: The Lab caches ARE INCLUDED in my total finds on my PROFILE page, but not on my STATISTICS page. This is a bug in the display on Groundspeak's end.

A bug is when something happens in a program that was unexpected. This was a decision made before the caches were tried out.

You guys still don't get it. On the PROFILE Page, I have 989 finds as of this evening. On the STATISTICS Page, I have 981. There is one duplicate find, and 7 Lab caches missing from the total on the Stats page. This is a bug. It is an unexpected result when the two numbers should match.

It is only an unexpected result for you because you won't read and accept the guidelines. Everyone else has no problem with it.

Yep--it's not a bug, just something completely idiotic. Either make 'em finds, or count them like benchmarks--on my profile, but not in my stats. Half-way means I'm not bothering with them.

You are so right. I have to wonder if they don't regret the little experiment. Although the idea to allow single event caches without the must be around for some time idea has some validity and warranted a test.