More pictures awaiting for an adequate category

Torgut

Hello again... so I have the following pictures and coordinates and either can't find the right category amongst the thousand or so, or just have no idea where to create or if it's possible to create at all:

1) Hydroplanes terminal. I suppose it can't be considered an airport, but looks relevant to me. I collected this one in Istanbul.

2) A quadrant replica in Istanbul, commemorating the spot of the bygone astronomical observatory

3) This one exists for sure but not with an obvious name, perhaps some of you remember it: I have a model and then the real thing (buildings)

4) Where to insert a "fountain" which doesn't comply with the "decorative" demanding of the "Fountains" category? In this case, it's a nice and very old fountain near the Vatican City.

1. Are the hydroplanes used as ferries? If so then Ferries and Ferry Landings.

2. Not really sure what a "quadrant replica" is so can't help on this one.

3. There was a vote for category call Little and Big or something like that and it failed. But it may fit in the Exact Replica category.

4. Didn't realize that there was a decorative requirement for fountains. Just that it was a fountain and water was still flowing. If I had a photo to look at I might suggest another

BruceS, an airplane in the ferries category? :-) I wouldn't allow them if I was in charge of the Ferries. I will ask them if I have the time. It's an idea, thanks.

Quadrant replica, only "mine" is outdoors in a street, as a little monument, and it's metalic:

http://www.lettersofmarque.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=209

Exact Replica, that's it! Thanks!

The fountains thing: problem is they exclude drinking fountains. Now, if you exclude functional (drinking) fountains all left are decorative, no?

BruceS, an airplane in the ferries category? :-) I wouldn't allow them if I was in charge of the Ferries. I will ask them if I have the time. It's an idea, thanks.

Other definition of hydroplane is a type of boat, though in my brain I was thinking more about hydrofoils a type of hovercraft type boat than hydroplanes which are racing boats.

You are referring to what in "American English" is a seaplane or float plane. I think seaplane or float plane bases can go in the airport category. I assume what you are referring to is something similar to this "airport" in Anchorage, AK http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Hood_Seaplane_Base

Edited by BruceS

If your fountain is old and nice, then I guess it fits to the Fountains category. I would never post an industrial mass product drinking fountain at a street corner, and I guess this is the spirit of the exclusion. But many of the fountains I posted - and always were accepted - were "functional" some centuries ago.

This fountains thing has been inspiring lots of talk in our (Portuguese) community as nice historical drinking fountains are very common here but we don't have a proper category to fit them. Eventually we can submit to a couple of those Rikitan mentioned, but none of them is 100% legitimate for our kind of fountains. In Portuguese the word "fonte" goes for all fountains... decorative and drinking/water supplying. Sometimes I submit to Spring Houses. Eventually I got one (fairly) declined because there was no house. Most of these fountains are not "natural" but arranged by the cities. So... no category for them. Anyway... the one I have to submit is nice, is old, is for drinking, it's in Rome's center and has no adequate category.

fellows, to the two pending cases I still have:

1) Hydroplanes terminal. I suppose it can't be considered an airport, but looks relevant to me. I collected this one in Istanbul.

2) A quadrant replica in Istanbul, commemorating the spot of the bygone astronomical observatory

I added two more:

3) http://translate.google.com/#pt/en/comporta --> Considering it doesn't fit in Waterway Locks, Planes and Lifts. I am almost sure I saw a category for what's described in my link, but can't recall the exact name.

4) Isn't there a category for picnic areas or something like this?

3) http://translate.google.com/#pt/en/comporta --> Considering it doesn't fit in Waterway Locks, Planes and Lifts. I am almost sure I saw a category for what's described in my link, but can't recall the exact name.

4) Isn't there a category for picnic areas or something like this?

3. Are you looking for this category: Historic Hand Operated Sluice Gates

4. Picnic areas best I can come up with is Municipal Parks and Plazas and possibly Highway Rest Areas (as long as they have restrooms also)

Edited by BruceS

It is an airport. An airport is where aircrafts can take off and land, and where passengers can board or freight is loaded. A dry land runway has never been part of the definition. Have a look at Wikipedia (English).

This word seem to lose a lot when translated. Without a picture I have no idea what it could be. Can you describe it?

It is an airport. An airport is where aircrafts can take off and land, and where passengers can board or freight is loaded. A dry land runway has never been part of the definition. Have a look at Wikipedia (English).

The Airports category description actually starts out with this exact text: "A tract of leveled land...". If seaplane terminals are allowed, I have one locally that I could add, but I didn't think they fit the category description.

The Airports category description actually starts out with this exact text: "A tract of leveled land...". If seaplane terminals are allowed, I have one locally that I could add, but I didn't think they fit the category description.

You are right, that's the description text. But in cases like this I usually assume that this just happened, because they just did not think about seaplanes when they wrote it. I cannot think of any sensible reason to willingly exclude seaplane terminals.

Ah ! I came here to say FOUND IT! But I see BruceS had already pointed the right category. Yes, it's the "Historic Hand Operated Sluice Gates" :-)

Meanwhile I found out that picnic areas fit well in Municipal Parks. I mean, those which matters TO ME, as in Portugal, 99% of them are set up by the municipality.

Edited by Torgut