Home improvement stores

C&SL

I think that is what C&SL is asking is does such a category exist. Maybe to propose such a category or just to log some Waymarks.

Bruce Hit the Nail on the Head, I don't think that a Big Box Hardware Store category would pass.

Edited by jhuoni

Bruce Hit the Nail on the Head, I don't think that a Big Box Hardware Store category would pass.

Why? In case if it will be well-prepared, it can pass.

1. interesting / informative - yes, at least to extend of other stores

2. global - yes (if not limited to chain of any single local brand)

3. redundant - apparently it will not be redundant category, if there is no such

4. prevalence - there are several such stores in every small or medium sized town (not too few, not too many)

What was the problem in the past reviews?

What was the problem in the past reviews?

The categories were for specific big box store chains.

Okay .. Personally, I don't mind if we'll have more commercial categories. I don't even mind if we'll have more specific-chain categories that are not expanded to whole world. I've never heard about Big Box stores, but why to limit fun of other people when I can simply ignore it? There are 300 to 400 categories already which I don't have chance to visit/post in my country, it wouldn't bother me if there will be twice as many.

But when it comes to peer review, my vote is guided by clearly stated instruction that I shouldn't consider my own perception of this game, rather follow objective criteria. Then there are all non-global chains simply out-of discussion. Sounds like alibism, but it's fact.

Edited by Rikitan

Now all of the criteria for peer review voting is objective, though. One criteria wants your personal opinion: is the category interesting?

From the FAQ:

One of the things to keep in mind when voting on categories is that some people have a different idea of what is "wow!" If you think a number of people will enjoy the category, even if you won't personally, you should vote "yea" and perhaps give some recommendations for improvement.

One of the things to keep in mind when voting on categories is that some people have a different idea of what is "wow!" If you think a number of people will enjoy the category, even if you won't personally, you should vote "yea" and perhaps give some recommendations for improvement.

And here lies the problem. It should read If you won't personally (enjoy the category) you should ABSTAIN from voting. Or NOT VOTE. (I sort of like the second option)

But let's not beat a dead horse, or flog a dead horse, ore even bring horses into the conversation. :blink:

If you think a number of people will enjoy the category, even if you won't personally, you should vote "yea" and perhaps give some recommendations for improvement.

Okay, 'Yea' with recommendations, this is fair.

What if I do NOT think that there is number of people who will enjoy category proposal? What if I think the oposite - that category is so mundane that it can be enjoyed just by very few, exceptional people?

Should I be abstain / not vote?

If this is correct approach, then (in perfectly-fair peer review) no category won't be denied due to lack of interesting / informative factor. Assuming that at least (and only) officers will find it interesting, with all other votes Abstain.

Is there any situation at all, when I can vote 'Nay' solely due to lack of interesting / informative factor?

If it is right approach to choose between Yea and Abstain only, isn't then interesting / informative criteria worthless?

If you think a number of people will enjoy the category, even if you won't personally, you should vote "yea" and perhaps give some recommendations for improvement.

Okay, 'Yea' with recommendations, this is fair.

What if I do NOT think that there is number of people who will enjoy category proposal? What if I think the oposite - that category is so mundane that it can be enjoyed just by very few, exceptional people?

Should I be abstain / not vote?

If this is correct approach, then (in perfectly-fair peer review) no category won't be denied due to lack of interesting / informative factor. Assuming that at least (and only) officers will find it interesting, with all other votes Abstain.

Is there any situation at all, when I can vote 'Nay' solely due to lack of interesting / informative factor?

If it is right approach to choose between Yea and Abstain only, isn't then interesting / informative criteria worthless?

Yes you can can vote Nay based solely on lack of interesting/informative. It does not specify what the number is... if I think that a category is only interesting to a low number of people then it is a no. If I think the only thing that might make the location interesting is that someone might want to increase they visit/submit count by one then I vote no. To me this is the most important criteria.