How do I use color in my log entries on geocaching.com

origami cacher

<b> = Bold

<i> = italic

<red> = red print

<blue> = blue print

<green> = green print

etc...

In log entries, colors not working with these tags, nor with <font color="#000000">Xxxxxxxxxxxxx</font> (but this last one is working in cache description or profile modification)

I can only use <b> (I preferre <strong>)

You can see the code I use on my last log entry (http://coord.info/GC4RDXX) and the result shown on the page.

My code :

[][][] {FTF} [][][]<br /><br />
<font color="#0000FF" size="2" face="Trebuchet MS"><strong>#91 @ 16h37</strong></font>
<br /><br />
<font color="#000000" size="2" face="Trebuchet MS">3è passage pour enfin logguer. Merci Ceiffel. </font>
<br /><br />
<font color="#000000" size="2" face="Trebuchet MS"><strong>MPLC !</strong></font>

Thanks Triciag,

Tried your suggestion and BB Codes do not work.

Oops, I spoke too soon. I can use a combination of html and bb codes to get the results I am looking for.

If I want specific text to show up with color I need to use BB Codes and I can make it bold by using HTML code.

For example,

If my text reads "blah, blah, blah, ratta, ratta, ratta" and I want beginning text to be the default text color(black), followed by a green middle "blah", then back to black, followed by a bold red middle "ratta", ending with back to black.

I would enter my log like this:

blah,[green]blah[/green],blah, blah, ratta,<b>[red]ratta,</b>[/red]ratta.

That seemed to work with both Google Chrome and IE8 browsers.

To see an example on the website goto

Rubin Hancock Farmstead http://coord.info/GC36D5X

and look for my log entry

Thanks for putting me on the right track.

Edited by origami cacher

origami cacher, try this: [red]Text[/red]

Yeah, I was going to say... The HTML codes the earlier responses gave -- the ones using angle brackets -- work, but bbcode -- same tags, but with square brackets instead of angle brackets -- works much better in logs. Using HTML in logs triggers some funny effects that are typically undesirable.

I'm pretty sure you don't want to do this. Doesn't the "b" and "/b" as bbcode work? It should be properly nested -- "b", "red", text, "/red", "/b" -- so if it wasn't, that might have been your problem. (It's been amusing watching you try different things in that log entry you pointed to, but it looks like you finally worked it out.)

By the way, I meant to agree with the other poster that the first question to ask is if you really want to use color to begin with. Once it a while for a specific reason is OK, but it gets boring when you use it in every log.

I'm pretty sure you don't want to do this. Doesn't the "b" and "/b" as bbcode work? It should be properly nested -- "b", "red", text, "/red", "/b" -- so if it wasn't, that might have been your problem.

By the way, I meant to agree with the other poster that the first question to ask is if you really want to use color to begin with. Once it a while for a specific reason is OK, but it gets boring when you use it in every log.

Thanks for the suggestion. Does the bold/unbold BB Code get surrounded by quotation marks or by brackets?

I intend only to use the color option to track my logs with which find the log represents since the one associated with my login always updates to my current running total.

The other reason for messing with it in the first place is pure curiosity. I love being able to do something that I have seen someone else do and will frequently spent inordinate amounts of time learning for the sake of learning. God forbid I should ever become fascinated with sky-diving and waiting until the last second to open my chute. One Splat! and its's too late to try the next option.

Edited by origami cacher

Thanks Triciag,

Tried your suggestion and BB Codes do not work.

Oops, I spoke too soon. I can use a combination of html and bb codes to get the results I am looking for.

If I want specific text to show up with color I need to use BB Codes and I can make it bold by using HTML code.

For example,

If my text reads "blah, blah, blah, ratta, ratta, ratta" and I want beginning text to be the default text color(black), followed by a green middle "blah", then back to black, followed by a bold red middle "ratta", ending with back to black.

That seemed to work with both Google Chrome and IE8 browsers.

To see an example on the website goto

Rubin Hancock Farmstead http://coord.info/GC36D5X

and look for my log entry

Thanks for putting me on the right track.

Thank you.

After several tries in all browser (IE 11, FF 25 and latest Chrome), it works ! See http://coord.info/GLCTT8H4 and the code for that :

[][][] {FTF} [][][]
<br /><br />
<b>[blue]#61 @ 8h15</b>[/blue]
<br/><br/>
Ayant vu la publication de ces caches hier vers minuit, je me lance dans le froid de bonne heure, espérant décrocher mon premier FTF... Yeah, c'est fait !! (j'attend confirmation du poseur, car la boîte trouvée au point Z ne contient pas de logbook, mais juste une figurine).
<br/><br/>
Suivante.
<br/><br/>
<b>PREVOIR UN GILET FLUO LES JOURS DE CHASSE</b><br/><br/>
<b>MPLC !</b>

Please don't.

Just because you can use colour. It does not mean you should. Not everyone read logs via the web and some devices will show the code.

You're totally right ! See example of my colored log on my iPhone (using geocaching official app)

IMG_2235.PNG

Since I do 90%+ of my log reading on my phone or tablet it is really annoying when they are filled up with all those markers and usually skip reading that log. I would prefer that the froggie restrict it to text on ly. The age of people reading these on a computer is passing quickly.

I totally agree. Logs should be restricted to text only until the GPS units, the apps and the e-mails are capable of correctly interpreting the tags. Personally, I'm skeptical that that will ever happen, but we can hope for a miracle.

--Larry

Edited by larryc43230

Since I do 90%+ of my log reading on my phone or tablet it is really annoying when they are filled up with all those markers and usually skip reading that log. I would prefer that the froggie restrict it to text on ly. The age of people reading these on a computer is passing quickly.

I totally agree. Logs should be restricted to text only until the GPS units, the apps and the e-mails are capable of correctly interpreting the tags. Personally, I'm skeptical that that will ever happen, but we can hope for a miracle.

--Larry

Uh, you seriously believe that the collective intelligence of humanity cannot put color in all our electronic devices?? :huh:

--Larry

Uh, you seriously believe that the collective intelligence of humanity cannot put color in all our electronic devices?? :huh:

Well, they haven't yet, have they? And they've all had years to make it work right.

My Oregon 650 has lots of color, yet cache logs with color tags still don't display correctly, in spite of the fact that the Oregon series has been out for several years now.

The official geocaching app for the iPhone doesn't correctly handle color tags in logs (see the previous post). I haven't checked, but I strongly suspect that logs with color tags aren't displayed correctly in the Android app, either.

Lastly, the e-mail messages I get for the caches I own completely garble logs with tags, making them almost impossible to read. Which is odd, because these e-mails come from the same folks who invented the cache log, and who gave us the ability to use those color tags a very long time ago.

I get the strong impression that no one has ever even worked on getting cache logs with formatting tags to display correctly anywhere except on the geocaching Web site. Why should I expect this to change anytime soon?

--Larry

As far as using tags on logs... notice that there is nothing on the logging page that suggests or provides instructions (other than emoticons) for doing so... The fact that it works is not promoted at all by GC.

Probably in the hope of people not doing it for recently stated reasons.

Also is likely a good reason to get some separation of 'devices' and computers access methods. If you come by app on a device or phone then there is no reason for the system to send 'computer' stuff to it. Systems have been intelligent that way for years now. Other than the odd app that lies about what it is in reality, it should not be hard to direct content in a usable form as needed.

The alternative situation would be stripping everything from Cache Pages as well and just sending out coordinates , DT ratings, box size and some small details to everyone... bye bye to creative and informative Cache Pages.

No need for posting puzzles and earth caches either since most would be severely limited, just to please device users. Perhaps we need more colour and code use, and drive out the people who don't like us finding their caches.

Otherwise, get your devices / apps fixed to work right. The game was designed to work with the computers and GPS that we used to use. I doubt that GC will flush people who don't use a cell or device in the field. But a look at a page source code points out that they are trying to do it all in one bunch of code... no wonder they get it messed up from time to time!

Doug 7rxc

Thanks for the suggestion. Does the bold/unbold BB Code get surrounded by quotation marks or by brackets?

Yes, "b" is in square brackets. It's hard to talk about here in the forums since (as far as I know) there's no good way to quote square brackets. (The only reason we can put [red]red[/red] in a post here is because in the forums, it's a little different: you have to use "color=red" instead of "red": red.

As I think you have discovered, once you use any HTML, you start to have other issues, such as trouble with line breaks, so you have to start adding line breaks (<br/>) or paragraph marks (<p>paragraph</p>), which gets old fast. Trust me, I know: for a while, I didn't realize you could use bbcode, so I always used HTML for italics and links.

In summary, if you want red, use [red]red[/red]. If you want bold red, put bracket-"b"-close bracket at the beginning, then bracket-"/b"-close bracket at the end, after the [/red]. Just remember: these marks enclose text, so you want to bold the red text. The marks do not turn things on, then turn them off, a mistaken idea that makes people think that if they started with b,red, they should end with /b,/red. Nope, b,red should be paired with /red,/b because the red's are a pair and the b's are a separate pair that must be entirely outside the red pair.

And now that you know how to do that, you don't have to bother actually doing it. :)

I'm pretty sure you don't want to do this. Doesn't the "b" and "/b" as bbcode work? It should be properly nested -- "b", "red", text, "/red", "/b" -- so if it wasn't, that might have been your problem. (It's been amusing watching you try different things in that log entry you pointed to, but it looks like you finally worked it out.)

And, it's even worse if you are trying to read email notifications as a cache owner.