Mahoney State Park caches

Lothar69

I was just curious as to if anyone knows why there are no caches in Mahoney State Park in Eastern Nebraksa? Have they prohibited Geocaching or has noone gotten around to placing a cache?

As probably the most popular and most visited state park in Nebraska and located between the two most populous cities in the state, seems like it would be an excellent place for some caches. There is one at the SAC museum right next to the park and one at the rest area about a mile from the park exit, as well as several in nearby Schramm State Rec area and Platte River State park.

Well we'll just have to see what we can do about that. I spend a fair amount of time there and would be able to own some caches. I'm trying to get some friends of mine interested in geocaching and they seem most interested in the hiding of caches aspect. Might be a good way to get them involved.

Thanks Carleenp

Just to let you know there were 2 out there when I first started. One was a 5/5 and was stolen twice the other one was stolen once. It is a beautiful park that a lot of people go to and hike. If you are looking to place a cache out there I would recomend that you first talk to the rangers out there and see if they would even allow it to be hidden. They can also recomend a good spot for a cache.

Justin

quote:
Originally posted by The Shorts:

Just to let you know there were 2 out there when I first started. One was a 5/5 and was stolen twice the other one was stolen once. It is a beautiful park that a lot of people go to and hike. If you are looking to place a cache out there I would recomend that you first talk to the rangers out there and see if they would even allow it to be hidden. They can also recomend a good spot for a cache.

Justin

Good advice regarding the state park system. The rangers seem to make up their own rules and its easy to get blind sided by them (ie:no hiking in wilderness area of Platte River until after 4 pm, the ban on all geocaches in Fort Atkinson, but the apparent open season on cache placement at Schramm.)

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/nebraskache/

Thanks for the info about Mahoney! My father-in-law works in the park and he knows the superintendent really well. If and when I get around to placing some caches in the park, I'll use this connection to discuss it with him and hopefully sell him on the concept so he will allow it in the park. Shorts raised a definite concern about the plundering of previous caches. I'll give it a shot and see if we can't have some success.

I am Lothar, King of the Hill people. I have many tails to tell....

quote:
Originally posted by bigredmed:

so we can get some direct word on the State's policy toward geocaching.

From what we found, each Area Manager makes the rules for their jurisdiction. All but two of ours are on State Land, SRA-WMA-SFH. The Manager in this area is good with the caches.

If you are not looking at WMA locations, I think you are missing some good hiding opportunities. Check them out... http://www.ngpc.state.ne.us/gpland/gpland.html

Judy&Dick

quote:
From what we found, each Area Manager makes the rules for their jurisdiction. All but two of ours are on State Land, SRA-WMA-SFH. The Manager in this area is good with the caches.

If you are not looking at WMA locations, I think you are missing some good hiding opportunities. Check them out... http://www.ngpc.state.ne.us/gpland/gpland.html

This is my understanding too. Lothar (or anyone), who is the manager at Mahoney? I was thinking more and more about putting a cache there and would like to talk to him.

As for WMAs, yes those are great for caches.

pokeanim3.gif