How do I get foxes away from my cache?

CryptoCarrot

I have placed my cache in a local park which is all good but - the local foxes/animals keep disturbing it and throwing it all over the place.

I need you guy to help me deter these four legged orange balls of fluff, I don't want to hurt them though, I like foxes.

Did you ask them?

:ph34r::laughing:

Step one-remove the cache. Step two-that's it. Honestly I don't think there are any long term solutions to this, other than to remove the cache. Maybe place it in a block of cement? Sure you can get wildlife deterrents-predator scent, traps, you could even sit there and hunt them, but while effective, they are not feasible. You'd have to take time and check them and put out new scent. You could put it out of reach, but there are plenty of animals that climb, jump, swim, fly....

I'm not saying this to be mean, but...You placed a foreign object, and the local wildlife bother it...Seems to me that (intentionally) keeping animals away is the wrong thing to do. This is creating an impact on nature-then there are also some animals- coyotes come mind here- that get so used to human activity, that they are known to wander feet from humans in the city. I've seen coyote pups attempt to play with domestic pup-in this case nothing short of traps, or hunting them will keep them away.

Ultimately you have to either remove the cache, or run the risk of wildlife getting to it.

Edited by T.D.M.22

I have placed my cache in a local park which is all good but - the local foxes/animals keep disturbing it and throwing it all over the place.

I need you guy to help me deter these four legged orange balls of fluff, I don't want to hurt them though, I like foxes.

Did you ask them?

Some CO's would like more "foxes" to visit their caches! :laughing:

What about some repellent? - I know that deer repellent is effective (at least for deer), & environmentally friendly (most are made from eggs). Just a little spritz on and around the cache should do it.

Did you ask them?

My first thought was NOT that, but this. Thanks, though. Now I have that friggin' song stuck in my head. :angry:

You placed the cache where? In a den? And now you want to do what about the foxes?

From what I read on the cache page (hint) is to be taken literally, then I fear your placement violates section 5 of the Fundamental Placement Guidelines:

5. Wildlife and the natural environment are not harmed in the pursuit of geocaching.

Geocaches are placed so that plant and animal life are safe from both intentional and unintentional harm. In some regions geocaching activity may need to cease for portions of the year due to sensitivity of some species.

Five days worth of being hidden and "foxes/animals keep disturbing it", I rather suspect that your clue means exactly what it says!

Did you ask them?

My first thought was NOT that, but this. Thanks, though. Now I have that friggin' song stuck in my head. :angry:

I judge her to be a serious cacher who says more than "TFTC" & who's never guilty of armchair (or boudior) logging.

Well, OffGrid had a homeless Man removed from one of her cache sites, so I guess a fox wouldn't be so bad. :(

Did you ask them?

I think that video is an American phenonmenon, and the OP is from The UK. But in my opinion, the fox would say Ring-ding-ding-ding-dingeringeding! Gering-ding-ding-ding-dingeringeding! Gering-ding-ding-ding-dinngeringeding!

Per Gitchee-Gummee's post, I might have looked at the cache page, but wouldn't have thought to read the hint. Did you in fact hide this cache in a foxes den? :o

Did you ask them?

I was thinking Tia Carrere (Sydney Fox on the Relic Hunter)! sigh!

Doug 7rxc

I've recently learned that the adhesive on camo tape seems to be delicious to animals (at least in my area). So if you used camo tape of any sort, you may want to try spray painting it instead.

I'll second that. Was helping with a powertrail and the CO used camo tape on them. A few had bite marks. A couple had been chewed on enough to break the lids, one completely missing, and one almost gone. That one had aircraft cable screwed onto a fence post. The animal had pulled so hard it pulled a chunk of wood off along with it. We think it had been coyotes- and none of the other Powertrails had that happen- they had been painted with reflective road paint.

If you can get hold of some 'Oil of Citronella' and wipe some on the cache it should work.

I am not convinced it is foxes and not raccoons. I can't see a fox opening a container and throwing stuff around but who knows. What I would do is go with a watertight metal container and attach it to something they cant remove. Maybe wire it to a tree or something.

We once went looking for a cache and found the container missing. But found some swagg about. Also noticed all the rat droppings in the tree. Told the CO who then he replaced it. Then it went missing again. He was using a plastic film container. No way it would last in a tree filled with rats. He archived it and said we could place one there. I told him we could help with something the rats couldn't get into but said for us to do it as he was tired of going there. We placed a heavy army first aid kit that was metal with a waterproof ring. It has not had one bit of trouble. Just goes to show it can be all about the container and not necessarily about the conditions around. It has been there over 2 years. We checked it once but there was no need to. We named it Rats Cache. There is not need to disrupt the wild life around the cache just adapt to it and be smarter then the animals.

WarNinjas Rats Cache

South Essex (UK) is not big on raccoons, but there is a large urban fox population and they're pretty tame and fearless so it wouldn't surprise me if one did 'muggle' a cache. A couple of years ago there was one living near my folks' garden and it regularly stole stuff from the house next door - including their dog's toys, a watering can and on one occasion a shoe that the neighbour said had been inside the kitchen door - and brought it into the folks' garden to play with. And chew...

That said, if the cache is in a fox den, it shouldn't be. If it's a 'den' in the sense of a 'camp' or fort built by kids in woods, then it's bound to disappear/get trashed. New home needed I think!

I only see 1 log saying the cache had been muggled. First of all, are you sure its foxes not humans? If a cache gets muggled this quickly you need a new spot. As per your question if it is animals you can attach it to a tree. Zip-tie for smaller caches, for instance match containers and lock n locks. Ropes, chains for larger ones. Just be sure to leave room for the tree to grow. Ammo-cans are probably the most animal-proof containers you can get.

Hi,

When having problems with animals getting into garbage in bags, or food in bags while camping, I was told to spray the item generously with spray deodorant. It seems to work. You may want to give it a try.

Best regards,

4evrCking