Garmin Oregon 550

*Triforce*

I have the Oregon 550, having upgraded from the Etrex Legend HCX. Absolutely pleased with the unit, having started out with the iPhone app, so the choice of a touch screen device was a factor.

If you're not a regular GPS user, it can be a little daunting at first (but this would be true of any model you might choose) The Oregon 550 is SO customizable, with so many options, profiles, and menus to choose from, that it takes a while to get a handle on it all and optimize the settings for YOUR particular likes, preferences, and caching style. Once you get it set up like you want it, however, it's awesome.

The touch screen is not capacitive like an iPhone or some of the newer smart phones, so it takes a little more positive press to select an option....however, this is not always a bad thing because you won't get a lot of accidental presses and it can be worked with gloves on. The screen is a little scratch-prone, though....if you select the 550 I would highly recommend installing some sort of screen protector.

It's a very capable unit for Geocaching, I'd highly recommend it....in the end it comes down to features, interface (touch screen, joystick, or buttons), and personal preference. I don't think you'd go wrong with it in any case.

Hi,

I am looking for any feedback on the Garmin Oregon 550. The price has dropped under $300, and any thoughts on its usefulness with Geocaching.

One of the best units ever made. Unless you need to load more then 5,000 caches (which is about 40 years of geocaching for me), I see no reason not to get one.

One of the listed updates was the 500 has a screen that is more easily seen in daylight and I found that to be true. Not as good as the Montana but putting my 450 and 550 next to each other on a hike clearly showed it.

Was yours an early 450? It's my understanding that the 450 eventually got the better (less glare) screen of the 550 after the 550 launch. I got on the 450 bandwagon a little late, and have had no gripes about the screen relative to any other resistive screen device, and it's better than quite a few of them.

One of the listed updates was the 500 has a screen that is more easily seen in daylight and I found that to be true. Not as good as the Montana but putting my 450 and 550 next to each other on a hike clearly showed it.

Was yours an early 450? It's my understanding that the 450 eventually got the better (less glare) screen of the 550 after the 550 launch. I got on the 450 bandwagon a little late, and have had no gripes about the screen relative to any other resistive screen device, and it's better than quite a few of them.

@Walts Hunting: Are you sure it was a 450 and not a 400?