locking milestones

Forgive my naivity but, what reason(s) would someone have for wanting to lock a milestone?

I'm asking under the assumption that locking a milestone is a way to lock in a certain cache at a certain number such as a person's 1000th find.

So then, following your assumption lead, a plausible reason would be to block the effect of log deletions on the milestone list.

Forgive my naivity but, what reason(s) would someone have for wanting to lock a milestone?

I'm asking under the assumption that locking a milestone is a way to lock in a certain cache at a certain number such as a person's 1000th find.

One of my reasons was that when I first started caching I didn't even think about milestones. Then upon realizing that Groundspeak posted stats to include milestones, I wanted the first one I found to be in the milestone #1. Because I had logged my first finds in random order, #1 was not reflected as #1. By locking it in, I now have #1 in the right place. A few others were corrected also, because I had found them to mark a certain milestone. It's an accuracy thing, I guess (OCD) Ha!

Some folks lock milestones because of issues with lab caches or cache log deletions or whatever. I mean, sometimes you try your best to make a cache say your 8000th find, you find 30 that day and you cant figure out why the one you want to show up as 8000 does not. So, what to do, delete all 30 logs and start over? Nah, just easier to lock the milestone.

One of my reasons was that when I first started caching I didn't even think about milestones. Then upon realizing that Groundspeak posted stats to include milestones, I wanted the first one I found to be in the milestone #1. Because I had logged my first finds in random order, #1 was not reflected as #1. By locking it in, I now have #1 in the right place. A few others were corrected also, because I had found them to mark a certain milestone. It's an accuracy thing, I guess (OCD) Ha!

Ok, this is something that i never thought about. I too am about accuracy with my own stats and therefore do everything i can to keep them accurate. I have always logged caches in the order i found them which put the caches where they are supposed to be.

As someone mentioned also, a log deletion would move these around as well. I never thought of that happening either.

Thanks!

So then, following your assumption lead, a plausible reason would be to block the effect of log deletions on the milestone list.

Funny how I have managed to post 6,309 found logs without a single one being deleted. I think the biggest reason to adjust your milestones is because of accidentally logging caches out of order, or because the new Lab caches seem to be an evil plot to screw up your stats.

Funny how I have managed to post 6,309 found logs without a single one being deleted. I think the biggest reason to adjust your milestones is because of accidentally logging caches out of order, or because the new Lab caches seem to be an evil plot to screw up your stats.

In the 11 years that i've been caching, i had never had a log deleted until just recently. What was bad is that it was from a cache that i had logged as found over a year before. Turns out the cache had a "thumbdrive" that we didn't know had to be accessed for signing off on the cache. Another cacher had placed a paper log inside the cache which threw subsequent finders off. Of course i had a milestone or two since that time that were somewhat important to me. Since i had found the cache and signed a logsheet in good faith, i immediately emailed the cache owner and he allowed me to log the cache again.

All turned out well but i'm glad i now know that i can lock my milestones in the rare case something like this happens again.

Edited to say that i just now went and locked them in. I don't suppose there is a downside, right?

Edited by Mudfrog

I can see how to lock the milestones, but how do you correct the order of caches which were logged on the same day, that don't appear in the order they were found, in order to lock in the correct find?

I can see how to lock the milestones, but how do you correct the order of caches which were logged on the same day, that don't appear in the order they were found, in order to lock in the correct find?

Good question so i just went and looked. On the lock milestone page there are the "lock/edit" buttons to the right of each milestone. Click on edit then input the GC number of the cache you want shown.

If you didn't log them in order to begin with, you might try deleting the logs from that day and log them again in the correct order. Just reset the date when you edit them to show the date you found them.

Edited by macatac1961

In the 11 years that i've been caching, i had never had a log deleted until just recently. What was bad is that it was from a cache that i had logged as found over a year before. Turns out the cache had a "thumbdrive" that we didn't know had to be accessed for signing off on the cache. Another cacher had placed a paper log inside the cache which threw subsequent finders off. Of course i had a milestone or two since that time that were somewhat important to me. Since i had found the cache and signed a logsheet in good faith, i immediately emailed the cache owner and he allowed me to log the cache again.

I didn't think thumb drive logs were allowed, at least not allowed to be mandatory. See Keystone's reply to this 2007 thread. Might want to let the cache owner or reviewer know.

All turned out well but i'm glad i now know that i can lock my milestones in the rare case something like this happens again.

Edited to say that i just now went and locked them in. I don't suppose there is a downside, right?

You should have appealed that. The requirement you mentioned is an ALR and prohibited. Your log would be reinstated and locked and the CO would be advised to remove that requirement.

There are some people who prefer to use the milestone feature to highlight certain finds rather than to identify their true milestones. Cache find #1005 might be more meaningful to them than cache find #1000, therefore they'll edit their milestones so find #1005 appears as milestone #1000.

I've been looking at the new "profile features" on Geocaching.com and can no longer find the option of "locking my milestones"!!!

Can anyone point me in the right location? Yes, I know I can manually edit them in "MyGeocachingProfile.com".

I'm also using Project GC which uses GC.com for it's information flow.

I also keep my GSAK stats up-to-date which has absolutely NOTHING to do with my milestones in GC.com. (Useless information.)

Whatever.

Does anyone have information on these new personal profile features on Geocaching.com??? I'm getting a bit frustrated. Too many other questions to list...

I've been looking at the new "profile features" on Geocaching.com and can no longer find the option of "locking my milestones"!!!

Can anyone point me in the right location? Yes, I know I can manually edit them in "MyGeocachingProfile.com".

I'm also using Project GC which uses GC.com for it's information flow.

I also keep my GSAK stats up-to-date which has absolutely NOTHING to do with my milestones in GC.com. (Useless information.)

Whatever.

Does anyone have information on these new personal profile features on Geocaching.com??? I'm getting a bit frustrated. Too many other questions to list...

You can edit the milestones displayed on your geocaching.com statistics. Go here:

http://www.geocaching.com/my/statistics.aspx

and click on the milestone tab. You now have the option of either editing or locking your finds for each of the milestones. So if you meant #5000 to be "Another Public Park Cache" and not "LB#2," you can make the change.

If you're trying to correct your find count because your 5005 finds don't match the 4988 caches you've logged, you can use GSAK to find the caches you've double-logged; you might want to lock in any milestones you don't want to change before doing so.

edit: you beat me to it. And it looks like it might be 17 lab caches throwing your count off, not double logs, my bad.

Edited by hzoi