WANTED: Helpers who post new coins here in the forum!

yanagi

I started a discussion in another thread about decreasing traffic here and the increase of traffic on facebook. For me the most important reason for the less traffic here is the less traffic (if you know what I mean). Most of the vendors don't post new coins here (just on FB). But I miss this forum!!! If you feel the same, please post new coins and new coins here. This forum could be an interesting place for everybody who don't want to check all the sources for new coins and I'm sure traffic comes back automatically.

PLEASE HELP!!!!

I agree. But can I help? I don't make my own coins, but I sometimes catch some new releases here and there. Should I post a topic here, with info + a pointer to the place where they can be ordered? Or should that decision be up to the creator?

Well, that was exactly what I would like you to do. And I don't think at all that the creators/vendors wouldn't like a little bit of marketing :)

I can see some reasoning for keeping them in one continuous thread like the 'Mailbox' ... but I can think of more reasons NOT to.

The forum search ability is adequate to find single threads and all the related details. As long as it is one coin design = one thread, info is readily available. Best comparison would be the 'Mailbox' thread. Imagine trying to find all the related posts about just one specific coin. A search would produce the 'Mailbox' as a result, then finding which of the 18,600+ replies is about just that one coin .... would be ... :blink: ... try - 'impossible'.

Coins of sparse interest would move down the list quickly. High interest coins would say more current and at least numerous posts about 'that' coin would stay together.

A pinned thread titled "post new coins here" (or anything similar) does not seem like it could generate more than a lot of questions of what the thread is about, especially from new posters and visitors.

The 'vendor, buyer, feedback' pinned topic was opened in September 2008 and only has ~330 replies and the last one was June of this year. A pretty good example, imo, of what would happen to a single 'new coin' thread.

One coin = one thread also allows each coin to have it's name in the title. I doubt many here would just put in a topic of 'New Coin Today' ...

Topic Description (the sub-title) in a new thread also allows for a more detailed intro about a new coin thread.

Another added benefit of single threads is that it would become apparent to readers that there is more activity here again. As it is now the same thread titles appear day after day after day. It shows that there is not much 'new' going on. With only a few new threads weekly, it is easy to see that chronologically I saw the newest post (for example) at 6pm yesterday. All I need to look at is the 4 threads that moved up the ladder newer than 6pm yesterday, and 3 of them I may not even be interested in looking at again.

-----------------

Overall ... I like the idea of more coins being posted here. It might even enable those of us non-FBer's to get a few of the XLE type coins before they sell out elsewhere. The one thing I don't like about it is that some sellers, vendors and designers will now have a whole new unpaid sales staff doing their job for them. Don't get me wrong ... forum posters helping each other is a REALLY great idea ... but I wonder how many sellers will depart the forum knowing that someone else will do it for them .... ???

Thanks for the feedback! I really appreciate your ideas and comments! I totally agree with what nevadanick said regarding the idea about a pinned thread. It has advantages but also disadvantages and I think too that there are more advantages about having one thread per coin.

I also understand your point about the unpaid sales staff. But in the end if someone of this forum doesn't miss a coin sale of a coin he really wanted to have, it was worth it. I may be a little bit naiv and childish but I also think, if this forum gets more attractiv again by having more traffic, the vendors and designers will come back automatically. It is not a big thing to post a new coin here (took me maybe one or two minutes).

Nevadanick's points are all valid. I do like the idea of having a single thread per coin that stands out. The only thing I wonder is whether the forum will just look like one big ad for multiple coins. However it would be nice to know that those coins exist. But I think some of the other threads that are actually more interesting will get bumped down and forgotten. I suppose there's no perfect answer. When I showed this thread to my 12 yo, he thought it was asking for a paid position for someone to post new coins. He was disappointed when I told him it was purely volunteer work. Ha!

One thread per coin is a really valuable attribute of this forum, IMO. This place is a historical treasure trove.

yanagi, I signed in just to cheer you on. It would also be fabulous if each coin thread had pictures of the various versions and whatever minting data (if any) is available. Even (and especially) of old coins. I often find that I need to search this forum, cointracking dot com and the general web to try to piece together the story of a coin. The more that's available right here, the better.

(OTOH, I've had people steal my pics from here to use on the e-place to make themselves money and I don't like that one bit. But maybe if the pics are marked, as I've seen some of you do, that would take care of it.)

Unfortunately, dealing with a bad situation here, I have little energy for posting these days. But I hope people who are able will have at it.

HMmmm ... while I'm thinking of it ....

maybe Shop.Geocaching will read this and try to post ALL their items when they are first listed on the shop site. They do from time to time but seems pretty erratic at best. Yep, they have a lot to do and I'm sure they are not 'over'staffed ... but wouldn't you think that the first place a seller would post is on their own website forum ... :blink:

HMmmm ... while I'm thinking of it ....

maybe Shop.Geocaching will read this and try to post ALL their items when they are first listed on the shop site. They do from time to time but seems pretty erratic at best. Yep, they have a lot to do and I'm sure they are not 'over'staffed ... but wouldn't you think that the first place a seller would post is on their own website forum ... :blink:

That's a really good question!!!!!

First, I'm not a coin collector. When I saw the first coins I thought about it and decided it would be too much to keep up with over time.

2011 there was the 1st European geocoin fest close to my home and of course I went there - thinking why there is no really good catalogue of coins, while they're so popular. So I started collecting information to try my own, because I like enough to look at them and collect their pictures. I posted links here once or twice to show my effords, but got only little response. So I see where this discussion is coming from.

What I discovered so far (short version without all details):

- geocaching.com posts "latest designs", meaning the last couple icons they added to their database. Those entries are basically based on currently bought tracking codes. When those will be found on a real trackable item, is a matter of time - it could need more than a year. Remints or new versions that share an older icon won't be found here. Doing research for my catalogue I found that the icon's names sometimes don't match the coin's names...

- once there was a geocoin-collection site that evolved from a "monster list" that started here in the forum. After about 9000 more or less random entries they discontinued it and it's not available anymore today.

- various other catalogue projects started and got stuck because only very few people participated. There was a wiki-project, and the latest one I found is stuck with 585 entries for quite a while now - again, it was announced here in the forum several times.

- cointracking.com started here as well, I think - as far as I can tell (I'm not a member there) it seems to suffer the same problem as this forum.

- not being a fb member either it looks like people like it as an advertising platform where you only find what is brightest/most liked and spread.

- some people keep a blog/webpage adding new information when they like it or when they are asked for it.

- if you are looking for old coins (prior 2008) this forum is, indeed, a very good pool to find what you're looking for (I'm stuck in 2007 with my catalogue so I can't say much more about later coins) - it's more or less hard to get to it, depending on the way coins got introduced here...

So far there seems to be no perfect system that knows how to catalogue coins in a perfect way AND that has proper user interfaces/databases to keep track of collections.

I really appreciate this thread's effort to get this forums back running! But I'm afraid these problems will remain:

- you have to click links to get to pictures, if there are any.

- a lot of people seem to prefer random graphic information (pictures) with one quick click over sophisticated insight that only comes with more clicks.

- the forum doesn't help to find coins topic based (I think this might be important - like owl fans like to find coins with owls...) - this only works over mouth-to-mouth (so far).

- if you have preferences the forum does not allow to be noted by mail/twitter/fb/whatever about news filtered by interest.

(When I started a topic here about what people look for when searching for coins, again, there was not very much response - so the list is mainly based on my opinion...)

I wish you good look and hope that a lot more people finally decide to really try to make things easier about geocoins.

I'll look at it in more detail when I have more time, but JoergWausW posts some really good points.

The one that just jumped out at me was noting that any links to things like FB are not permitted.

Maybe this too needs to be addressed. FB links are not allowed ... but when I go to log-in to my Groundspeak account, I have an option to "log-in with FACEBOOK" ... :o

Interesting .............

Thank you so much for adding a new coin. For me the most important thing is to get to know about a new coin here, so adding a new thread even without a picture is perfect :D

But usually you can add the picture of the site you make the link to. Just copy the picture and add here to "insert image". But I will do that for you :)

I hope to have some really exciting new projects to show here shortly. I've been working a few different projects that have all been under wraps for a while now, but I'm expecting physical samples this week and with a little persuasion, I might be able to show some sneak peeks soon! (fingers crossed) I finally received some of the recently released designs I've been working on so I'll try to take some decent photos to post here showing those as well. This might be a good kids-out-of-school-for-holiday project ;)

I hope to have some really exciting new projects to show here shortly. I've been working a few different projects that have all been under wraps for a while now, but I'm expecting physical samples this week and with a little persuasion, I might be able to show some sneak peeks soon! (fingers crossed) I finally received some of the recently released designs I've been working on so I'll try to take some decent photos to post here showing those as well. This might be a good kids-out-of-school-for-holiday project ;)

Uncle Louie can proved the persuasion.... :rolleyes:

a133f40e-ea4b-419c-9738-1352a31c2255.jpg

Great start to this thread ....

... can those 'in the know' keep it going ?? It really helps (imo) !! :)

Yes, you are right! I had limited time in the last few weeks. I will try to continue that. In addition there were quite some coins offered that had been sold out before I was able to announce it here! Sometimes really crazy!!!

Maybe because it is so much easier to post pics to FB than here. I like easy as my time is valuable (quit laughing NevadaNick).

At the price of gas from YOUR pumps ... you won't even find a glimmer of a snicker on this mug ... :laughing:

But you do have a valid point. Posting a pic to the Forums here can be a pain. The process could use a revamp . .. !!

Edited by nevadanick

Maybe because it is so much easier to post pics to FB than here. I like easy as my time is valuable (quit laughing NevadaNick).

But you do have a valid point. Posting a pic to the Forums here can be a pain. The process could use a revamp . .. !!

True that.

Ernie just posted a few new and reminted coins, limited purchase for most of them ...

He has a new web address and you have to create a new account. >> web site: Ernie's

Some nonsense, a few kaleidoscope geocoins and a few more. Go now, they're going FAST ( :o:lol: )...

There's even a three coin 'nonsense' set with an AE ... :ph34r:

4e0d0aa1-97a9-4f24-b4fd-79e849d816ed.jpg

Edited by nevadanick

CORRECTIONS

It has been a slight correction in Coin editions which will be made.

I hope the mint doesn`t change, but if order will get through the coins are coming as follows.

Pegasus Metal Shiny Gold with Burgundy Glitter (mint 100)

d23503e3-d4ae-4235-a45e-87447940e65c.jpg

Pegasus Metal 2-tone Shiny Gold antique Silver (mint 80)

92a15a36-3dd2-4923-b631-9df05ac130ff.jpg

Pegasus Metal Antique Copper with Blue Glitter (mint 70)

487472aa-9f48-4c89-b198-d05c208c1887.jpg

I`ll try to post news when Pre-Order will be opened (see shop link above)

Coins probably arrive midst of July

Just to you all know that the Presale for the Pegasus Coins is now opened.

Go to the shop link of my post above. There you see the final versions. On one version has to made a little change.

shop link www.conivo.ch

go to Verkauf Aktuell and choose Pegasus Neuauflage

Edited by longtomsilver

Yes, exactly I need translation. The few words I do understand are not helping me figure out how to pre order

I would love to pre order the Mystic Pegasus coins but need some help with the website. Anyone?

What help do you need? Any translation?

To order them you have to:

- click on "Verkauf und Aktuell" which means sales and news

- click inside the text on the right on "Bestellung" (written in blue) which means order

- then you have to fill out the list

- click at the end on the bottom on "Bestellung absenden" which means Send order

Hope that helps

Edited by yanagi

I should add, that you get a confimation mail immediately. If you don't get it, you missed something. If you have problems, just let me know. We find a solution!

I think I just give up. Filled out all of the form, only 2 versions left. Now ...

There is no "- click at the end on the bottom on "Bestellung absenden" which means Send order" on the page.

Also form does want to accept '1' or '16.00' in the quantity box.

:(

Second time in 24 hours Euro origin coins posted when we're off line, sold before we even get to messages. Maybe I'll just stay by the computer 24/7 ... :lol:

------------------

Edited by nevadanick

I tried but did not get a confirmation email. Thank you for trying to help me.

I should add, that you get a confimation mail immediately. If you don't get it, you missed something. If you have problems, just let me know. We find a solution!

I think I just give up. Filled out all of the form, only 2 versions left. Now ...

There is no "- click at the end on the bottom on "Bestellung absenden" which means Send order" on the page.

Second time in 24 hours Euro origin coins posted when we're off line, sold before we even get to messages. Maybe I'll just stay by the computer 24/7 ... :lol:

------------------

------------------

I tried but did not get a confirmation email. Thank you for trying to help me.

Ok, as I told you before we find a solution. Even if I didn't want to order one of these coins for me (just spent too much money in the last time for coins) I ordered a set for my friends here in the forum. Now the only problem is you have to negotiate who gets which coin.

Ok, as I told you before we find a solution. Even if I didn't want to order one of these coins for me (just spent too much money in the last time for coins) I ordered a set for my friends here in the forum. Now the only problem is you have to negotiate who gets which coin.

I'm OK with whatever someone else wants. These are all nice, so any is OK with me.

Happy to repay you whatever the cost. It is very nice that you help us out, but it should not be at a cost to you.

---------------

Just need one or two is OK. Do not need a whole set.

-------------------

Edited by nevadanick

I'm OK with whatever someone else wants. These are all nice, so any is OK with me.

Happy to repay you whatever the cost. It is very nice that you help us out, but it should not be at a cost to you.

---------------

-------------------

Just a quick note, that this was a presale, so it will take a a few weeks before I have them in my hands. Uo to that time you can tell me who wants to get which coin ;-)

---------------

-------------------

Just a quick note, that this was a presale, so it will take a a few weeks before I have them in my hands. Uo to that time you can tell me who wants to get which coin ;-)

I would really love the copper blue glitter version. I still have a glimmer of hope that maybe my pre order did go through for the other two versions!

I would really love the copper blue glitter version. I still have a glimmer of hope that maybe my pre order did go through for the other two versions!

Ok, I will reserve the copper blue Version for you.

Thank you so much!! :D :D :D :D :D :D

Great, then you`ve got a set together :D :D

In case there is more interest the shop does have Burgundy Editions left and I have a 2-tone edition left.

Edited by longtomsilver

Great, then you`ve got a set together :D :D

In case there is more interest the shop does have Burgundy Editions left and I have a 2-tone edition left.

Can I reserve a blue glitter on copper and a gold/silver combo edition too?

thanks,

MO Pirate

Edited by mo pirate