Tip For Keeping Geocaches Dry

fhs.patriot

Whenever you buy your new shoes and such from the Department store and you get those Silica Gel Packs in them, don't throw them away. Instead place a couple of them into the cache and it will help to keep moisture out. Now it's not going to prevent water from getting in if there's a leak or the lids not on all the way but it will help the small amounts of moisture from building up in the cache. Also place one into the bag that holds the log too, to prevent it from getting damp. Just a quick tip for placing your next geocache!

00005900abb.jpg

Edited by fhs.patriot

Desiccant packets work only if the container is completely sealed, and even then they don't absorb that much moisture. The desiccant packet will be saturated after the container is opened and closed once or twice, and then you'll need to recharge it (dry it out) before it is useful again.

Desiccant packets work only if the container is completely sealed, and even then they don't absorb that much moisture. The desiccant packet will be saturated after the container is opened and closed once or twice, and then you'll need to recharge it (dry it out) before it is useful again.

Not only do they need to be recharged, a small packet, or a few small packets can only handle a little moisture. If there is enough moisture in the cache to damage it, a desiccant packet will overwhelmed and useless. Putting one in the bag with the logbook can't hurt though.

Edited by briansnat

On my caches that are small to regular I have been putting my log sheet inside a 35mm film container, If the cache does get wet they can dump the water out and still have a dry log to sign. I haven’t had to go out and put a dry log in on any of those type containers.

If using a genuine Lock-n-Lock container - which is pretty darn waterproof by itself - don't sabotage it by putting the logbook in a ziploc bag. Sure as anything, somebody will close the container with a corner of the ziploc caught in the seal. Moisture thus gets in.

Don't wrap your cache in a big garbage bag. Squirrels will chew holes in it, and the plastic is great for keeping rainwater IN, even after a long dry spell. They're really gross to unroll with water in every fold.

And if all else fails... Cache water should be changed at least once a year, even if it looks clean.

If using a genuine Lock-n-Lock container - which is pretty darn waterproof by itself - don't sabotage it by putting the logbook in a ziploc bag. Sure as anything, somebody will close the container with a corner of the ziploc caught in the seal. Moisture thus gets in.

Don't wrap your cache in a big garbage bag. Squirrels will chew holes in it, and the plastic is great for keeping rainwater IN, even after a long dry spell. They're really gross to unroll with water in every fold.

And if all else fails... Cache water should be changed at least once a year, even if it looks clean.

+1

And don't skimp by buying a dollar store Lock & Lock knock-off - the knock offs don't last, the tabs break off quickly and often they are not water tight from the get-go. Lock & Locks are so good you don't need a baggie for the logbook, but you could have one just in case someone doesn't lock down all the tabs. But don't count on it to keep the logbook undamaged. If you use a baggie make sure it fits easily into the container. If you have to squeeze out all the air and then fold it just right to get it back into the container, it's really likely that some of the plastic will get caught in the seal.

Once you have a good container... don't work against oneself.

I hate to mention the number of containers of I've seen that have been camo taped (several layers or more).

However even a Lock n Lock seal will fail when the tape is run over the sealing surfaces and gasket. Keep the tape outside the box and off the seal and it works much better.

On the same line of thought, carry an old toothbrush and scrub the seals clean... nothing like grit to cause leaks. I find all sorts of debris caked on the seals of all sorts of boxes and it goes away really quick if you take a second.

Doug 7rxc

I agree with you that desiccant can be useful, however, I have tried the shoe-box ones you have posted (Mr Incredible has access to alot of them at work) and the paper holding them together is not very strong. They frequently tear, making a mess. Also, the packets are very small.

Your best bet is to look for larger packets of desiccant with sturdy, tear-proof paper. The best kind I've found so far comes in bags of sushi seaweed-sheets. Depending on your area, the smell might attract animals, but it has worked for me so far.

Small bags of rice will absorb a good bit of moisture, but they too need changed out to dry after a time. Also, rice is a food product so we are again to the bug issue.

The best way to keep a cache dry (IMHO), is to put some thought into the container and where it will be before rushing out the door to place it. Does it really seal tight? Will it be durable? Does the bottom of the creek bed really need a pill-bottle hide?

Side note, a few days ago I found a cache in the fork of a tree. Looking closely at the cap shows holes punched in the perimeter to line up with the tabs. No wonder the log was wet!

Silica gel packets have been covered before in the forums, a few times.

Those little tiny packets aren't going to do you much good at all and quite possibly with the opposite of the desired affect. True, they work sort of like a sponge, but just how does a sponge work? They suck moisture out of the air, but only to a point. Then, when the ambient humidity decreases, they release that excess moisture back into the air -- so the atmosphere inside of he caches does what? It stays at a higher than normal level. Now, paper on the other hand, is the second best desiccant -- it absorbs that excess moisture. End result? Always damp paper. A great breeding ground for fungus and bacteria.

Next -- those little packets are designed to absorb moisture from inside of a SEALED container. Just what good does a SEALED cache do for anyone? Sure, it stays dry as long as it is never opened, but who wants to place a cache that never gets opened?

It's a losing battle and can actually be a detriment to the cache and its contents. It can (and does) create a worse situation than if there were no desiccant there at all.

Use of silica gel inside of things like gun safes is common. But those are large containers of silica, designed to be "re-charged" by being oven-baked on a regular schedule. I don't know of many gun safes that sit out in the rain, snow or anyplace other than a controlled temperature/atmosphere.

The maintenance schedule on caches with those little packets would go through the roof if one actually used and re-charged those little tiny ones as they should.

The use of these little packets is akin to a dog barking up a tree which has no squirrel.

A few years ago someone thought they'd "help" our ammo cans by putting a handful of those things in each one when he hit 'em.

Maintenance time, every can that had a pile of those expletive deleted things had a rust outline of where they lay.

To the OP...

Is it part of your maintenance plan to bring new packets each time or take 'em home, recharge and replace?

- Because they need to be dried/recharged on occasion for them to work.

Guess I don't get adding and maintaining something not (really) needed...

On my caches that are small to regular I have been putting my log sheet inside a 35mm film container, If the cache does get wet they can dump the water out and still have a dry log to sign. I haven’t had to go out and put a dry log in on any of those type containers.

I've been doing this for years and absolutely, it is the way to go. On regular caches I put the standard pocket notebook in a ziplock and also include a log in a film can with " Spare Log Don't Take " written on top.

Hi All. Have been a geocacher for a over a year now and have placed 4 geocaches and have had good luck with cache container keeping dry using silica gel with SWAG and logbook all dry until recently I have placed a multicache which is locked and has a hole in the top for the lock. I have put my logbook inside a smaller pill container to keep dry but my cache is still damp, even with silica gel. Is there anybody who may know how to keep my geocache so its not damp. It see little to no sun so I may have to change the cache location to a sunnier place. Thanks!

Hi All. Have been a geocacher for a over a year now and have placed 4 geocaches and have had good luck with cache container keeping dry using silica gel with SWAG and logbook all dry until recently I have placed a multicache which is locked and has a hole in the top for the lock. I have put my logbook inside a smaller pill container to keep dry but my cache is still damp, even with silica gel. Is there anybody who may know how to keep my geocache so its not damp. It see little to no sun so I may have to change the cache location to a sunnier place. Thanks!

If there is a hole in the cache no amount of silica gel will keep it dry. This is the container I use on one of my larger and more remote caches and it's pretty awesome. Dry as a bone.

great cache container

You can put a lock on it also.

I've been doing this for years and absolutely, it is the way to go. On regular caches I put the standard pocket notebook in a ziplock and also include a log in a film can with " Spare Log Don't Take " written on top.

What's the point. If the container is swag size but is wet then it can't protect the swag. May as well hide a good watertight micro, perhaps a preform or diabetes strip container.

If there is a hole in the cache no amount of silica gel will keep it dry. This is the container I use on one of my larger and more remote caches and it's pretty awesome. Dry as a bone.

great cache container

You are super generous. Way to go. High five. 2 thumbs up!

Silica gel only keeps a container's contents dry while it is sealed. As soon as it is opened, the silica starts absorbing water from the air. It may help protect a cache that is rarely found, but it won't help much. And the packaging fails, and then there is silica gel all over the cache. It's just one more thing to cause a mess in a cache. Stop perpetuating this myth.

great cache container

I have a good container like this in use. I engraved my name on the front, deep into the plastic. That doesn't affect its use as a cache, but makes it much less attractive to a would-be thief.

great cache container

I have a good container like this in use. I engraved my name on the front, deep into the plastic. That doesn't affect its use as a cache, but makes it much less attractive to a would-be thief.

I like that idea. Sort of the make your TB as ugly as possible theory to theft prevention. I think in this case, the fact that it's a bit remote is its best defense. It is chained on the inside of a hollowed out tree, but that's not for theft prevention, at least not of the two legged animal kind.

:)

Does not matter how well you try to protect the interior from moisture if people are caching in the rain.

Yep.

The few times we've ever had issues with ammo cans, was folks caching in pouring rain.

"Man, really coming down in buckets ! Good thing we had our rain gear on. 8th of 20 today".

- So there's nineteen others just as happy as me. :)

I guess the reason I get ticked about this is we put a small umbrella in every one as swag, but it seems many don't have the smarts to use 'em.

May be a good thing, as they'd probably just put it back in afterwards anyway... :laughing:

Does not matter how well you try to protect the interior from moisture if people are caching in the rain.

Yep.

The few times we've ever had issues with ammo cans, was folks caching in pouring rain.

"Man, really coming down in buckets ! Good thing we had our rain gear on. 8th of 20 today".

I guess the reason I get ticked about this is we put a small umbrella in every one as swag, but it seems many don't have the smarts to use 'em.

May be a good thing, as they'd probably just put it back in afterwards anyway... :laughing:

Happens all the time in my area. It's especially a problem when it's a new cache. Each person that goes out exposes the cache to a few drops of rain and before you know it, you get a 'log's damp' report. :rolleyes:

Yep.

Don't forget there are always those folks that seem completely unable to properly close an ammo can. I admit, the first time I found one I had a bit of trouble, but I wasn't about to leave it there without closing it completely...so I worked it out. Some folks don't seem to want to be bothered, though...

This is a great idea. The plastic bags are sometimes not sealed properly, or they get torn.

Yep.

Really good point. We often cache in the rain and it's hard to keep the paper dry when we sign it. Have to come up with something for that. Even if you are under cover, the moisture or spitting rain reaches in.

We bring paper towels and new baggies, with new logs, with us so we can dry and or replace soaking wet caches.

We bring paper towels and new baggies, with new logs, with us so we can dry and or replace soaking wet caches.

This isn't much use if the container itself is compromised and it's allowing water in. You're just adding more stuff that will also become soaking wet. Instead of one bloated logbook, there will be two. If you really want to do everyone a favour, use Needs Maintenance when a cache container has failed.

Whenever you buy your new shoes and such from the Department store and you get those Silica Gel Packs in them, don't throw them away. Instead place a couple of them into the cache and it will help to keep moisture out. Now it's not going to prevent water from getting in if there's a leak or the lids not on all the way but it will help the small amounts of moisture from building up in the cache. Also place one into the bag that holds the log too, to prevent it from getting damp. Just a quick tip for placing your next geocache!

No.

Please no. (Have to jump in when silica is mentioned.) It will not keep a cache dry. Will not keep a log dry.

You need a quality container that is well maintained!

Dido this. so many times it is the ziploc that caused a failure by being caught in a seal. I still use them because everyone seems to THINK they are necessary and add them themselves (even when I've used clearly labeled waterproof paper) if I don't but I make sure the ones I use are small enough not to get caught in the seal. In reality the ziplock is not going to save the log if the container fails.

Wrapping containers in plastic is just gross...

A cache container does not necessarily need replacing once a year but I think all caches would benefit from an inspection and scrub once a year, especially if they show any sign of wet inside(at anytime) I do switch them out and take the old one back for a full wash, scrub and drying indoors. If it proves watertight after that I will reuse. Often it is just dirt and debris in the seal or cachers who visited in the rain. (I don't cache in the rain but some do, that alone can cause a moldy log book if never aired out).

Only use genuine Lock-n-lock or pelican or such. (cheep dollar store knockoffs fail quickly)

I hate to mention the number of containers of I've seen that have been camo taped (several layers or more).

However even a Lock n Lock seal will fail when the tape is run over the sealing surfaces and gasket. Keep the tape outside the box and off the seal and it works much better.

On the same line of thought, carry an old toothbrush and scrub the seals clean... nothing like grit to cause leaks. I find all sorts of debris caked on the seals of all sorts of boxes and it goes away really quick if you take a second.

Doug 7rxc

Yep, dido this. ;) (I hate camo tape. period.)

And I like to do the scrub under some running water to be sure. (then fully dry) In the field scrub is a stop gap until I can get back with a container to place while the original is cleaned. (although my farthest one I have use the nearby stream, a towel and a nice hot dry sunny day)

If you really want to do everyone a favour, use Needs Maintenance when a cache container has failed.

+ 1

+10 Truly wish people used NM when needed!

Emergency stop gap is fine if you wish/have means, but the owner STILL needs to come out and address the original issue that caused the problem. Always post a NM.

No.

Please no. (Have to jump in when silica is mentioned.) It will not keep a cache dry. Will not keep a log dry.

You need a quality container that is well maintained!

Dido this. so many times it is the ziploc that caused a failure by being caught in a seal. I still use them because everyone seems to THINK they are necessary and add them themselves (even when I've used clearly labeled waterproof paper) if I don't but I make sure the ones I use are small enough not to get caught in the seal. In reality the ziplock is not going to save the log if the container fails.

Wrapping containers in plastic is just gross...

A cache container does not necessarily need replacing once a year but I think all caches would benefit from an inspection and scrub once a year, especially if they show any sign of wet inside(at anytime) I do switch them out and take the old one back for a full wash, scrub and drying indoors. If it proves watertight after that I will reuse. Often it is just dirt and debris in the seal or cachers who visited in the rain. (I don't cache in the rain but some do, that alone can cause a moldy log book if never aired out).

Only use genuine Lock-n-lock or pelican or such. (cheep dollar store knockoffs fail quickly)

Doug 7rxc

Yep, dido this. ;) (I hate camo tape. period.)

And I like to do the scrub under some running water to be sure. (then fully dry) In the field scrub is a stop gap until I can get back with a container to place while the original is cleaned. (although my farthest one I have use the nearby stream, a towel and a nice hot dry sunny day)

If you really want to do everyone a favour, use Needs Maintenance when a cache container has failed.

+ 1

+10 Truly wish people used NM when needed!

Emergency stop gap is fine if you wish/have means, but the owner STILL needs to come out and address the original issue that caused the problem. Always post a NM.

This post sums it up. It should be required reading for anyone submitting a cache.