Unlock the pinned topics

Fangamon

Unlock the pinned topics please!

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=230083

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=140085

Both are out of date and need new user inputs and entries!

B)

Well the first sentance I the first link give you a good reason why to not unlock it. There are probably more threads on that than caches.

As for the second- well, as noted above, people have no problems starting new threads that have already been covers multiple times. I think with the amount of GPS units and mobile devices- even a GPS running Android is available- it's best to let that info come in seperate threads now.

I noticed this too. Especially about the FAQ thread. The "FAQ" links bring you to a general description of the GPS and not really a FAQ. The eXplorist GC, arguably the most popular beginner GPS for geocaching, isn't even on the FAQ list! Although I guess it isn't surprising since the last time the page was updated was 2008. Two years before the introduction of the eXplorist GC. You would find more up to date information linking directly to the manufacturer's web page.

The reason I put quotes around FAQ in the paragraph above is because while it being called a FAQ it isn't a real FAQ. FAQ is short for Frequently Asked Questions. A general description isn't a list of question at all. Instead of linking to descriptions of the GPS how about watching the forums for questions that come up frequently and make a list of those question with the best answer(s) provided.

Explorist GC FAQ was one click away. Direct link added. Title changed, though I think it was reasonably clear that page was meant to take you to other FAQs and not attempt to replicate existing work. The last time that page was updated was April of this year. I think that's when I added Montana.

The page that I was referring to as being out of date is the gpsfaqs.org page. On their home page the last update is dated "2009-7-05" and there is no direct link from their home page to the eXplorist GC. Until you put that direct link to the eXplorist GC page I was unaware that it existed. Thanks for updating the links.

Here is a FAQ to consider adding. This is common to most GPSrs.

Q: My battery meter isn't acting the way that I think it should.

A: Make sure that you have the correct battery type selected.

I just find it strange that the pages are pruned away at 3-4 pages ....

You can display as many pages as you like, by using the "Click here to show filter options" link at the bottom of any forum page. Just change the setting in the Time Frame drop-down list.

Just for fun, I just selected "Show All" from the list, which gives me 976 pages of threads.

--Larry

Is there a reason that in the "What GPS should I buy?" pinned topic that only Garmin products are discussed? I see Magellan and other GPSr manufacturers discussed in the what GPS should I buy topics that aren't pinned. Shouldn't they be listed by model just like the Garmin products are?

Five of the six links in the title include competing brands.

If you have links to better threads (where "better" can mean either more comprehensive or more contemporary), include them here. I've said that several times.

If you want to see better content highlighted, highlight it and I'll pin it. I won't write it. Frankly, there has been less of it to highlight here in recent years.