Hanukkah Mystery Coin

yanagi

Wow, today I was fortunated to receive a great mystery coin ot of the series "Saisons Greetings!". The fron shows a candle holder for 9 nine candles. I googled a bit and found the following text on Wikipedia:

"Hanukkah (/ˈhɑːnəkə/ HAH-nə-kə; Hebrew: חֲנֻכָּה, Tiberian: Ḥănukkāh, usually spelled חנוכה, pronounced [χanuˈka] in Modern Hebrew; a transliteration also romanized as Chanukah or Chanukkah), also known as the Festival of Lights and Feast of Dedication, is an eight-day Jewish holiday commemorating the rededication of the Holy Temple (the Second Temple) in Jerusalem at the time of the Maccabean Revolt against the Seleucid Empire of the 2nd century BCE. Hanukkah is observed for eight nights and days, starting on the 25th day of Kislev according to the Hebrew calendar, which may occur at any time from late November to late December in the Gregorian calendar.

The festival is observed by the kindling of the lights of a unique candelabrum, the nine-branched Menorah or Hanukiah, one additional light on each night of the holiday, progressing to eight on the final night. The typical Menorah consists of eight branches with an additional raised branch. The extra light is called a shamash (Hebrew: שמש‎, "attendant")[1] and is given a distinct location, usually above or below the rest. The purpose of the shamash is to have a light available for practical use, as using the Hanukkah lights themselves for purposes other than publicizing and meditating upon Hanukkah is forbidden."

This year Hanukkah is November 27 to December 5

I love this series and I am very very happy to receive the third out of that series. Thank you so much mystery coiner! You are such an awesome generous person!!!!

1exmn8uk2a5.jpg

Wow, today I was fortunated to receive a great mystery coin ot of the series "Saisons Greetings!". The fron shows a candle holder for 9 nine candles. I googled a bit and found the following text on Wikipedia:

"Hanukkah (/ˈhɑːnəkə/ HAH-nə-kə; Hebrew: חֲנֻכָּה, Tiberian: Ḥănukkāh, usually spelled חנוכה, pronounced [χanuˈka] in Modern Hebrew; a transliteration also romanized as Chanukah or Chanukkah), also known as the Festival of Lights and Feast of Dedication, is an eight-day Jewish holiday commemorating the rededication of the Holy Temple (the Second Temple) in Jerusalem at the time of the Maccabean Revolt against the Seleucid Empire of the 2nd century BCE. Hanukkah is observed for eight nights and days, starting on the 25th day of Kislev according to the Hebrew calendar, which may occur at any time from late November to late December in the Gregorian calendar.

The festival is observed by the kindling of the lights of a unique candelabrum, the nine-branched Menorah or Hanukiah, one additional light on each night of the holiday, progressing to eight on the final night. The typical Menorah consists of eight branches with an additional raised branch. The extra light is called a shamash (Hebrew: שמש‎, "attendant")[1] and is given a distinct location, usually above or below the rest. The purpose of the shamash is to have a light available for practical use, as using the Hanukkah lights themselves for purposes other than publicizing and meditating upon Hanukkah is forbidden."

This year Hanukkah is November 27 to December 5

I love this series and I am very very happy to receive the third out of that series. Thank you so much mystery coiner! You are such an awesome generous person!!!!

1exmn8uk2a5.jpg

Wow that is very fitting for this time of year, always amazing how someone can be so generous and send people a mystery geocoin at the right time of someones lives. Congrats! ~Valarie and Barry of sweetlife Edited by sweetlife

Today I had a bit of a lazy day and I just now went to the mail box.

Imagine my surprise to find a letter to me aparently sent by yours truely. How come?

Even more surprising to find inside two small envelopes taped securely to the bubble mailer.

Two seasons greetings! How absolutely marvellous!

11134009765_a81700556b.jpg

Thank you so much mystery coiner for a very special surprise!

I understand, this years Hanukkah is on the same day as Thanksgiving first time since 1888. And according to the website I found, the holidays won't fall on the same day until in 79.043 years again. Imagine this!

Well, I can't describe my surprise and I barely find words to voice my gratitude to the generous mystery coiner, who won't stop to give so much pleasure!

Happy Thanksgiving and Hanukkah sameach to you!

In the mist of packing the car for our trip I head out to get the mail for the last time and behold their wasan envelope mailer. Yes the Mystery Coin has indeed found Ki and I and we love it.

Wish our Mystery Coiner(s) a very merry and happy holidays and Hanukkah as well, thank you from the bottom of our hearts.

Now back to the packing, "Hun do we really need all this, all I need is my gps."

Edited by kini_ont

I the mist of packing the car for our trip I head out to get the mail for the last time and behold their wasan envelope mailer. Yes the Mystery Coin has indeed found Ki and I and we love it.

Wish our Mystery Coiner(s) a very merry and happy holidays and Hanukkah as well, thank you from the bottom of our hearts.

Now back to the packing, "Hun do we really need all this, all I need is my gps."

I'm so glad you posted the pronunciation of your geoname. In my head I have pronounced it kenny_ont with doubt. Feels better now. How wonderful to be the recipient of this coin!

I was so surprised and excited to see small white package in the mail. My kids could hardly wait for me to open it. With so much going on right now, it came as a reminder to enjoy the season. Thank you so much for including me. Happy Thanksgiving and Hanukkah to each of you and especially to the generous mystery coiner!

I received one in the mail too and I am very honored!

The object on the "seal's" nose is the Hebrew letter "shin". I'm not sure of it's meaning, but it could mean:

sham - there (Israel)

shtel - give

shamash - middle candle

In this case, I am guessing that the letter means "give".

I have also received the Noel and the Kwanza coin so I feel very blessed.

Thanks!!

Wow. It has been a long time since I've been on the forums. My life has been in an upheaval the past year. (Not necessarily a bad thing) my biggest change is a move from Michigan to Ohio. I've finally got settled, but still have to unpack my "shinnies" (geocoins). Honestly I almost forgot about them, when I received a white bubble mailer from "HHj." Hmm, no return address. The thought of a coin, let alone a mystery coin never crossed my mind. I opened it to find this wonderful coin tucked inside. It has definitely brightened my day, as well as my move. Thank you HH, not only for the coin, but for bringing me back to the forums, and reminding me of my small treasures that need to be found. 😃

I have also received the Noel and the Kwanza coin so I feel very blessed.

Thanks!!

Oh my, I feel so stupid.

I got the Noel Coin as well and I couldn't figure out, what the crossed through "L" meant.

Did I mention, that I'm terrible with Mystery Caches as well? I just can't think around corners...

Thank you GresonVaux, for bringing light into the "no L", I feel very silly now...

But also thank you to the generous Mystery Coin Giver, who is able to come up with such lovely and clever designs and sends them out to us!

:anicute: :anicute: :anicute:

Today I was looking in to my mailbox and what I see was a letter from me to me.

But I didn't order some coins so ???????????

I knew it had to be an mystery coin but witch one ?????????

Thanks so much for let add me this great Coin into my collection.

We love the Coin.

Thank you mystery coin sender.

My best wishes to you and your family

e4a17d48-4c05-471c-ac7c-2b07c61892ea.jpg

c46c9736-14e8-4aa4-903b-df61e53797ec.jpg

75827fe4-98f9-448b-b351-ef7e6c67c6ac.jpg

Edited by Getzie family

Guess what? Today I received a bubble mailer sent to me from Jake my youngest German Shepherd. He looked as surprised as I was. He is a very good comedian :laughing:

I'm very happy to be the recipient of this very nice coin.

Thank you Jake or should I say thank you Mystery Coin Giver, I'm not sure anymore :unsure:

Wishing you and everyone a joyful Holiday season!

ILYM

This year has been very hard for me (as for many others) and I haven't been busy with coins so much last few months as only selling a part of my collection (yeah, what I said, hard year). Than it is very nice to receive this nice mystery coin. This gave me the smile I din't have so much lately. So I want to thank all who made this nice coin possible and specially the person who decided to send me one.

Happy Holy-days! ;):santa:

seasonsgreetings.png

Today i drove home from work with in bad mood: stupid customers, stupid deadlines, stupid traffic jams and stupid everything ! After diner someone had the nerve to ring my door bell, irritated i opened the door and there the postman was with a white bubble wrapper. The envelope was send to me by myself. Could it be ? I opened the envelope and there were three ! little envelopes sticked inside it with the strongest tape i have ever seen. Inside these envelopes i found the Kwanzaa, Noel and Hanukkah mystery coins !

I have read in this forum about it before, a mystery coin always arrives at the right moment and for me this was certainly the case !

Thank you mystery person, i am honored to receive these coins !!!

Happy holidays everybody !!

seasonsgreetings.png

Today i drove home from work with in bad mood: stupid customers, stupid deadlines, stupid traffic jams and stupid everything ! After diner someone had the nerve to ring my door bell, irritated i opened the door and there the postman was with a white bubble wrapper. The envelope was send to me by myself. Could it be ? I opened the envelope and there were three ! little envelopes sticked inside it with the strongest tape i have ever seen. Inside these envelopes i found the Kwanzaa, Noel and Hanukkah mystery coins !

I have read in this forum about it before, a mystery coin always arrives at the right moment and for me this was certainly the case !

LUCKY!!! :D I am jealous!!! :D:):D

seasonsgreetings.png

Success stories always warm the heart and give us hope ... :smile:

Congratulations! Been there and felt that way and had this happen to me, too, so I know that feeling!

:wub: LOVE the mystery coin senders! :wub:

i really don`t know how the mystery coiners do it but somehow they always give you a smile when you need it......

my little boy is feeling sad these days cause his little paw is hurt.....

he has a big cut in his little nail and it was attached and now he has a little bandage around his little paw.....

anyway he is feeling sad cause he must wolk slow and little rounds while he wants to run with his brother Koos.......

but yesterday while i was organize a suprise party for my friend, my hubby was taking care for our boys when the doorbell ring....

the mailman had a envelope where stand on from Anne to Anne so when my hubby come to the restaurant he said to me: Anne there is a envelope from you to you.....

i was in SHOCK REALLY OHHHH SHOOT i did know what that mean.....

when i came home i saw the envelope but put it away cause Bruno was sleeping and we went to bed....

this morning when we wake up i took Bruno with me and let him see the envelope...

he snif and snif on it and we open it togther bruno look at me and i look to Bruno.......

there it was...

a very wonderfull beautyfull coin........

DSCF1112.jpg

THANK YOU SO SO SO SO MUCH MYstery for give my little man a big smile in his hurtfull days........

it really means a lot to both of us and it will get a special place by the other seasons coins.....

So, as I woke up today I realised that I have caught the virus the rest of the family had last week :P Not nice to have when it is dull and grey outside with nothing to brighten things.

I totally unprepared when a bubble mailer address to me from me (funny, I don't remember a trip to the US :D )

It came at the perfect time, it still surprises me the generosity of the Geocoin community. Huge thanks and a very Merry Christmas and Happy Hanukkah to the Mystery Coiner.

k9ic.jpg

Edited by jpbarr

I saw the mailman coming so I went out to meet him. I am waiting for a package so I can send a little something in my Christmas missions. He told me I didn't have any packages today but wait I do have a little one for you. With the return address of HH I knew that Hanukkah Harry had sent me his coin! Very fitting to arrive today the last day of Hanukkah also.

I think this might be my favorite of the three holiday coins too! :wub: :wub: Very, very nice! It has already found it's way to one of my display cases.

Many thanks to the Mystery Coin Cacher! If/when I meet you in person I owe you a great big hug!!

Happy Holidays!!

97bb0e5f-281d-4abd-acb7-2ba6093e386a.jpg

WOOOOO HOOOO! :D

We received this coin in the mail today. What a really beautiful flowing design. Thank you so much to the mystery coiner out there who brought us up quite a few notches in celebrating this holiday season. May you be blessed 7 fold in the coming year! :) Thank you!

Edited by JoenSue

The menorah (Hebrew: מְנוֹרָה‎ [mənoːˈɾaː]) is described in the Bible as the seven-lamp (six branches) ancient Hebrew lampstand made of gold and used in the portable sanctuary set up by Moses in the wilderness and later in the Temple in Jerusalem. Fresh olive oil of the purest quality was burned daily to light its lamps. The menorah has been a symbol of Judaism since ancient times and is the emblem on the coat of arms of the modern state of Israel

The menorah willow consisted of a base and a shaft with six branches, beaten out of solid gold. The six branches rose to the height of the central shaft so that all seven lamps at their apexes were in a straight line.[1]

The Hebrew Bible, or Torah, states that God revealed the design for the menorah to Moses and describes the construction of the menorah as follows (Exodus 25:31-40):

31 And you must make a lampstand of pure gold. Of hammered work the lampstand is to be made. Its base, its branches, its cups, its knobs and its blossoms are to proceed out from it. 32 And six branches are running out from its sides, three branches of the lampstand from its one side and three branches of the lampstand from its other side. 33 Three cups shaped like flowers of almond are on the one set of branches, with knobs and blossoms alternating, and three cups shaped like flowers of almond on the other set of branches, with knobs and blossoms alternating. This is the way it is with the six branches running out from the lampstand. 34 And on the lampstand are four cups shaped like flowers of almond, with its knobs and its blossoms alternating. 35 And the knob under two branches is out of it and the knob under the two other branches is out of it and the knob under two more branches is out of it, for the six branches running out from the lampstand. 36 Their knobs and their branches are to proceed out from it. All of it is one piece of hammered work, of pure gold. 37 And you must make seven lamps for it; and the lamps must be lit up, and they must shine upon the area in front of it. 38 And its snuffers and its fire holders are of pure gold. 39 Of a talent of pure gold he should make it with all these utensils of it. 40 And see that you make them after their pattern that was shown to you in the mountain.

The branches are often artistically depicted as semicircular, but Rashi,[2] Ibn Ezra,[2] and Maimonides[3] (according to his son Avraham),[4] held they were straight; no other Jewish authority expresses an opinion on the subject.[5] Archaeological evidence, including depictions by artists who had seen the menorah, indicates that they were neither straight nor semicircular but elliptical.[6]

Until 2009, the earliest preserved representation of the menorah of the Temple was depicted in a frieze on the Arch of Titus, commemorating his triumphal parade in Rome following the destruction of Jerusalem in the year 70 CE.

In 2009, however, the ruins of a synagogue with pottery dating from before the destruction of the Second Temple were discovered under land in Magdala owned by the Legionaries of Christ, who had intended to construct a center for women's studies.[7] Inside that synagogue's ruins was discovered a rectangular stone, which had on its surface, among other ornate carvings, a depiction of the seven-lamp menorah differing markedly from the depiction on the Arch of Titus, probably carved by an eyewitness to the actual menorah present at the time in the Temple at Jerusalem. This menorah has arms which are polygonal, not rounded, and the base is not graduated but triangular.

Representations of the seven lamp artifact have been found on tombs and monuments dating from the 1st century as a frequently used symbol of Judaism and the Jewish people.[1]

It has been noted that the shape of the menorah bears a certain resemblance to that of the plant Salvia palaestina.[8][9]

Contrary to some modern designs, the ancient menorah did not contain anything resembling seven candles, as candles were unknown in the Middle East until about 400CE.

Use

The lamps of the menorah were lit daily from fresh, consecrated olive oil and burned from evening until morning, according to Exodus 27:21.

The Roman-Jewish historian Flavius Josephus states that three of the seven lamps were allowed to burn during the day also;[10] however, according to the Talmud (Rashi, Tractate Shabbat 22b), only the center lamp was left burning all day, into which as much oil was put as into the others. Although all the other lights were extinguished, that light burned oil, in spite of the fact that it had been kindled first. This miracle according to the Talmud (Tractate Menahot 86b) was taken as a sign that the Shechinah rested over Israel.[11] It was called the ner hama'aravi (Western lamp) because of its position. This lamp was also referred to as the ner Elohim (lamp of God), mentioned in I Samuel 3:3.[1] The miracle of the ner hama'aravi ended about 40 years before the destruction of the Temple (c. 30 CE) according the Talmud Tractate (Yoma 39a), "Our Rabbis taught: During the last forty years before the destruction of the Temple (that is to say from around 30 CE) the lot [‘For the Lord’] did not come up in the right ...hand; nor did the crimson-coloured strap become white; nor did the westernmost light shine"[12]

History and fate

Depiction of the Menorah on the Arch of Titus in Rome.

The original menorah was made for the Tabernacle, and the Bible records it as being present until the Israelites crossed the Jordan river. When the Tabernacle is pitched in Shiloh (Joshua 18:1), it assumed that the menorah was also present. However, no mention is made of it during the years that the Ark of the Covenant was moved in the times of Samuel and Saul. There is no further mention of the menorah in Solomon's temple, except in (2 Chronicles 4:7) as he creates ten lampstands. These are recorded as being taken away to Babylon by the invading armies under the general Nebuzar-Adan (Jeremiah 52:19) some centuries later.

During the restoration of the Temple worship after the 70-year captivity in Babylon, no mention is made of the return of the menorah but only of "vessels" (Ezra 1:9-10). Since the Temple was an enclosed place with no natural light, some means of illumination must have existed.

The apocryphal Book of Maccabees records that Antiochus Epiphanes took away the lampstands (plural) when he invaded and robbed the Temple (1 Maccabees 1:21). The later record of the making of "new holy vessels" may refer to the manufacture of new lampstands (1 Maccabees 4:49). There is no biblical mention of the fate of the menorah.

The fate of the menorah used in the Second Temple is recorded by Josephus, who states that it was brought to Rome and carried along during the triumph of Vespasian and Titus. The menorah was deposited afterwards in the Temple of Peace in Rome.

Most likely, the menorah was looted by the Vandals in the sacking of Rome in 455 CE, and taken to their capital, Carthage.[13] The Byzantine army under General Belisarius might have removed it in 533 and brought it to Constantinople. According to Procopius, it was carried through the streets of Constantinople during Belisarius' triumphal procession. Procopius adds that the object was later sent back to Jerusalem where there is no record of it, although it could have been destroyed when Jerusalem was pillaged by the Persians in 614.

Symbolism]

The menorah symbolized the ideal of universal enlightenment.[14] The seven lamps allude to the branches of human knowledge, represented by the six lamps inclined inwards towards, and symbolically guided by, the light of God represented by the central lamp. The menorah also symbolizes the creation in seven days, with the center light representing the Sabbath.[1] It is also said to symbolize the burning bush as seen by Moses on Mount Horeb (Exodus 3).[15]

According to Clement of Alexandria and Philo Judaeus, the seven lamps of the golden menorah represented the seven classical planets in this order: the Moon, Mercury, Venus, the Sun, Mars, Jupiter, and Saturn.[16]

Kevin Conner has noted of the original menorah, described in Exodus 25, that each of the six tributary branches coming out of the main shaft was decorated with three sets of "cups... shaped like almond blossoms... a bulb and a flower..." (Exodus 25:33, NASB).[17] This would create three sets of three units on each branch, a total of nine units per branch. The main shaft, however, had four sets of blossoms, bulbs and flowers, making a total of twelve units on the shaft (Exodus 25:34). This would create a total of 66 units, which Conner claims is a picture of the completed Christian canon of scripture (containing 66 books). Moreover, Conner notes that the total decorative units on the shaft and three branches equate to 39 (the number of Old Testament books); and the units on the remaining three branches come to 27 (the number of New Testament books).[18] Conner connects this to Bible passages that speak of God's word as a light or lamp (e.g. Psalms 119:105; Psalms 119:130; cf. Proverbs 6:23).[19]

Hanukkah (Chanukah)

Main articles: Hanukkah and Menorah (Hanukkah)

The Menorah is also a symbol closely associated with the Jewish holiday of Hanukkah (Chanukah). According to the Talmud, after the Seleucid desecration of the Jewish Temple in Jerusalem, there was only enough sealed (and therefore not desecrated) consecrated olive oil left to fuel the eternal flame in the Temple for one day. Miraculously, the oil burned for eight days which was enough time to make new pure oil.

The Talmud (Menahot 28b) states that it is prohibited to use a seven-lamp menorah outside of the Temple. The Hanukkah menorah therefore has eight main branches, plus the middle ninth lamp set apart as the shamash (servant) light which is used to kindle the other lights. This type of menorah is called a hanukiah in Modern Hebrew.[1]

Modern use[edit]

Synagogues have a continually lit lamp or light in front of the Ark, where the Torah scroll is kept, called the ner tamid (eternal light). This lamp represents the continually lit ner Elohim of the menorah used in Temple times.[1]

In addition, many synagogues display either a Menorah or an artistic representation of a menorah.

A menorah appears in the coat of arms of the State of Israel, based on the depiction of the menorah on the Arch of Titus.

Sometimes when teaching learners of the Hebrew language, a chart shaped like the seven-lamp menorah is used to help students remember the role of the binyanim of the Hebrew verb.

Temple Institute reconstruction[edit]

The Temple Institute has created a life-sized menorah, designed by goldsmith Chaim Odem, intended for use in a future Third Temple, The Jerusalem Post describes the menorah as made "according to excruciatingly exacting Biblical specifications and prepared to be pressed into service immediately should the need arise.".[20] The menorah is made of one talent (interpreted as 45 kg) of 24 karat pure gold, hammered out of a singlar block of solid gold, with decorations based on the depiction of the original in the Arch of Titus and the Temple Institute's interpretation of the relevant religious texts

In other cultures[edit]

The kinara is also, like the menorah, a seven candleholder which is associated with the African American festival of Kwanzaa. One candle is lit on each day of the week-long celebration, in a similar manner as the Hanukiah (which was modeled after the menorah) during Hanukkah.

In the Orthodox Church the use of the menorah has been preserved, always standing on or behind the altar in the sanctuary.[21] Though candles may be used, the traditional practice is to use olive oil in the seven-lamp lampstand. There are varying liturgical practices, and usually all seven lamps are lit for the services, though sometimes only the three centermost are lit for the lesser services. If the church does not have a sanctuary lamp the centermost lamp of the seven lamps may remain lit as an eternal flame.

In Taoism, the Seven-Star Lamp qi xing deng 七星燈 is a seven-lamp oil lamp lit to represent the 7 stars of the Northern Dipper.[22] This lampstand is a requirement for all Taoist temples, never to be extinguished. In the first 9 days of the lunar 9th month festival, an oil lamp of 9 connected lamps may also be lit to honour both the Northern Dipper and 2 other assistant stars (collectively known as the Nine Emperor Stars), sons of Dou Mu appointed by the Taoist Trinity (the Three Pure Ones) to hold the Books of Life and Death of humanity. The lamps represent the illumination of the 7 stars, and lighting them are believed to absolve sins while prolonging one's lifespan.

Wow I also found a Hanukkah Coin in my mailbox when I got home today and what a nice surprise to find since I have not been on the forms for most of the part of the last few years. What a nice looking coin to add to my mystery coin collection :) Thank You so much and HAPPY HOLIDAYS to you and ALL ! !

Edited by cainrcc