Anyone here find it difficult to insert batteries into the Garmin 62s?

Sgt_Strider

I've had the unit pretty much since launch. At first I thought that because it's new perhaps that's why it was so difficult to insert and remove the batteries. Years later and I still find it difficult to remove with my fingers. I will almost always use my nail clipper to help remove the batteries. Am I the only one to be experiencing this?

I use a piece of 6mm {1/4"} gift wrapping ribbon, say about 2" long. Lay it under one end of both of the batteries and then grab both ends to pull out one end, of both batteries. Works great. Fold the ends over each other and then put the cover back on. Got the idea from the 480 volt 3 phase disconnects at work.They have a plastic puller at each end of the 3 fuses. I don't know why Garmin still makes these battery holders so tight. At one time the 60 and 76 series ones were breaking where the metal bends. Its not like the batteries can fall out.

Edited by Forkeye

Both of mine were VERY tight when new and now , although they are firm , are much easier to remove and replace. We cache a lot and I always start the day out with fresh batteries ( NIMH Eneloops ) so with use it does get easier.

I still find it difficult to remove the batteries even after all the years of usage with the 62s!

When removing the batteries from my 62s, I never try to pull on the batteries directly. Rather, I cup my hand, and with the opposite hand, smack the GPS against my cupped hand, making the batteries fall out into my hand. Granted it does take a pretty hard smack, but it has worked well for me for this GPS for 2 years and for many more years of owning a 60C.

Note: you will find that different batteries are different length even if only by a few thousands of an inch.

You can "adjust" them but then don't whine about "breaks" it track logging or "unexplained" loss of power.

Adjusting tool= small "precision" hammer.......careful now.....'cause there's no "precision puller outer" if you get them too short.

Edited by Grasscatcher

When removing the batteries from my 62s, I never try to pull on the batteries directly. Rather, I cup my hand, and with the opposite hand, smack the GPS against my cupped hand, making the batteries fall out into my hand. Granted it does take a pretty hard smack, but it has worked well for me for this GPS for 2 years and for many more years of owning a 60C.

I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one who has perfected the 'ol smack the unit into your cupped hand action.

Are yes but rechargeable batteries are just a little bit bigger in physical size, just a tiny bit within spec but bigger anyway! :blink:

I use Duraloops (Duracell Pre-Charged, aka relabeled Eneloops) in my GPS units.

They are a tighter fit in the 62s than in the eTrex 20.

Edited by BlackRose67

Today as a point of interest I took a pair of vernier calipers and measured the length of a AA Duracell Copper top alcaline, a, AA Eveready Energizer alkaline, a AA Duracell rechargeable NiMH, and a AA Nexcell rechargeable NiMH that came with my 62sc. All four were the same length to within +/- 0.002" and varied in diameter to +/- 0.006",those four at least seem to be very close to each other, and I doubt I would be able to note any difference installing or removing any particular battery. I can install them and remove them all out without too much trouble. Though I am sure there are hundreds of other battery brands on the market, which may be different.

Edited by Forkeye