Kc, Topeka, St. Joseph, and anyplace else buried under ICE!

Guest scooterj

Guest scooterj

Because of the major storm that has struck the central states-- with conditions ranging from flash flooding to multi-inch-thick ice to heavy snow-- I'd like to suggest that after the ice is gone and it is safe to do so, that every cache owner in the area make it their civic duty to go back and check on as many of their caches as possible. Almost every large tree is heavily damaged and many have fallen, so it's possible that some caches hidden in these types of places may now be dislodged, crushed, or buried. It's also possible that the ice expansion and/or prolonged dampness has damaged some caches, so I'd suggest having paper towels, replacement items, and even a spare container handy when making the the sweep.

Including my multistages I have 13 individual containers to check on after the ice melts, so I know I'll be busy here soon. icon_smile.gif

Wow we were supposed to get hit with a little of that in NY as it turned out we just giggled at all the school closings while it drizzled all day. Haven't really watched the news to see the havoc the storm reaked... good luck to you.. very good idea!

Guest oldcrow

Wouldn't you know I placed my first cache just two days before this mess! I think it is hidden well enough that it survived the onslaught of ice and snow; I will check it after the thaw.

The ice here in Olathe KS was a bear. I checked my caches out and even hid a couple of new ones.

One more thing to add to scooter's advice is to warn folks of trecherous conditions when the area is icy. I have one that would be pretty dangerous if it were icy since if you slipped you would be headed for a trip to the lake if you slipped.

Be wise and advise.

Thanks scooterj.

Guest scooterj

quote:
Originally posted by Wsmith:

One more thing to add to scooter's advice is to warn folks of trecherous conditions when the area is icy. I have one that would be pretty dangerous if it were icy since if you slipped you would be headed for a trip to the lake if you slipped./B]

That right there is the whole reason I'm waiting another day or two to go check on mine, some of them are just too dangerous. (I had already put danger notes on 'em.) In fact yesterday several (all?) of the county parks were closed, as were portions of the Indian Creek trail, due to the danger of falling ice. It's just bad.

On a positive note I finally have cable TV back for the first time since Wednesday afternoon. That makes me much better off than the next street over which is now approaching its 5th day without electricity.

Ever shop in a Price Chopper without electricity? It's a weird experience. icon_smile.gif Only dry and canned goods for sale.

Guest TresOkies

We are without power in Hydro, OK (about 60 miles west of OKC). Many of us have generators and I have a natural gas fireplace and water heater. All in all, not too bad. We share what we have with those less fortunate.

The saving grace with this storm was that the day before the rain started, we had temps in the 50's, which warmed the roads up so we didn't have icy roads to contend with, just icy trees and power lines. All the trees in town are broken, as are the power mains and the local power lines. Our power may be back by Thursday or Friday.

http://www.ericcloninger.com/gallery/noroom/ice_storm_2002

-E

------------------

N35°32.981 W98°34.631