Submiting Your Benchmark Finds and DNFs to the NGS

Thot

You can make your benchmarking hobby serve a useful purpose by submitting your results to the NGS. They encourage you to submit them. I do this and have written a PDF file explaining how and explaining how I do it. If you don't want to submit finds and DNF's you can just submit pictures. But, since the coordinates are often poor the ones you take when visiting the mark can be helpful the those who use the benchmarks for surveying. You can read it here:

The method has changed since the topics pinned to the top of this forum were written. Though I never did it the old way I think they have made it much easier.

I'm certainly no expert at this but I've probably submitted about a hundred by now using the method described in the PDF file above.

Oh yes, I should add. No one has used any of this PDF, it's links or the utilities before except me so if you find problems, email me or post them here. Thanks.

Edited by Thot

Intersting.

However, you do NOT *HAVE* to use DSWorld to update records.

And, please note - many professionals use this service to look up stations. Keep recoveries short, concise, and professional. No "LOL there was a cat on the benchmark.". And do NOT update a station if the last recovery was less than a year ago - unless there is a major change in the condition or 'to get to'.

Intersting.

However, you do NOT *HAVE* to use DSWorld to update records.

All I know is I was told it was the only way when I tried to make a submission the old way.

And, please note - many professionals use this service to look up stations. Keep recoveries short, concise, and professional. No "LOL there was a cat on the benchmark.". And do NOT update a station if the last recovery was less than a year ago - unless there is a major change in the condition or 'to get to'.

You're right about both of those. I'll try to find a place to add those cautions.

..not to hijack this thread, but as an 'add on' - I've been noticing a lot of GEOCAC recoveries lately that are incorrect - some examples being a 2007 local agency reset being counted as a found good for a BM set in the 80s, an RM being counted as a lost tri-station, a horizontally adjusted mark which disappeared in the 1920s being found 100 feet away, etc. etc. (the three I mentioned were submitted by people who have found quite a few marks and are submitting them to NGS) A lot of us 'old-timers' remember picking on the US Power Squadron for making some less than stellar recoveries (it was a volunteer project they were involved in if I remember correctly) - I fear that 'GEOCAC' may get the same reputation with professionals if we aren't careful. For people who are just starting as BM hunters, it is best to wait awhile before submitting NGS recoveries & of course read these forums! And ask questions!