total miles

tom k.

I am sure that a program such as GSAK could do that for you, but I am not so sure that geocaching.com itself has that function available.

Side Note: You need to use a My Finds query, not a Pocket Query of your finds. The latter will not return caches that are archived and is limited to 1,000 caches... out of your 4,700+ finds, some of them are bound to have been archived.

I am sure that a program such as GSAK could do that for you, but I am not so sure that geocaching.com itself has that function available.

Side Note: You need to use a My Finds query, not a Pocket Query of your finds. The latter will not return caches that are archived and is limited to 1,000 caches... out of your 4,700+ finds, some of them are bound to have been archived.

Thanks for the idea-I think I got it to work. First I downloaded “my finds” pocket query. Than put that zip file on my desktop. Then when into GSAK and downloaded a maco “total distance” downloaded that to gsak along with the zip from desktop, ran it and came up with 63,672 miles. Don’t know if that is right, but that’s more info than I had. A side note out of the 4700 finds 1600 were archived sense I started caching in 2006. Thanks tom

None of these methods are particularly accurate, but it's a fun project. The macros will show straight-line cache to cache and won't include miles to get there. I have a TB set to auto-visit with every field note or log. It's fun to call up the map of where I have been. I save my GPS track logs from my longer outings just to get a feel for how far I hiked that day. All that drunken-bee tree and log circling typically adds about 10‰ to the actual trail mileage. :-D

None of these methods are particularly accurate, but it's a fun project. The macros will show straight-line cache to cache and won't include miles to get there. I have a TB set to auto-visit with every field note or log. It's fun to call up the map of where I have been. I save my GPS track logs from my longer outings just to get a feel for how far I hiked that day. All that drunken-bee tree and log circling typically adds about 10‰ to the actual trail mileage. :-D

There is also the presumption that you have logged all of your caches in the order that you found them. In my first two years of finding caches, when I traveled and found Virtual caches, I would get home and log all of the traditional caches first, then send my qualifying emails and then log the virtuals. Later when I got into the stats, I found some major abnormalities. An example being total distance in a day of 4000 miles, even though I had only driven through California and Nevada. This also affected total distance overall, so I had to re-log several days, being careful to keep them in the proper order.

Edited by Don_J

The FindStatsGen GSAK macro will show total cache-to-cache distance. Here's what mine looks like:

Total cache-to-cache distance: 315819 km, Note: excludes locationless caches.

7.89x Earth Circumnavigation,

0.822x Distance to the Moon

Are you serious? In all of your travels, you haven't been to the Moon yet? :rolleyes:

We use our own personal TB and log it to "visit" each cache we go to. We log it as a visit even if we don't find the cache. We wanted it to show everywhere we've been, not just every one we've found. The downside to using a TB in this way is that it only offers the mileage as the crow flies between caches, not the actual miles we drove to each one. But it's still fun to go back and look at the map.