Charging the Montana?

zeus661

@splashy

Are you sure that the device won't use > 500mA of charge current if connected to a source that can provide it? This is a 2000mAh battery. Typically, they are charged at something between 1/2C and 1C (in this case, between 1000ma and 2000ma). I'm guessing that the car and home chargers are both > 500ma, which is the typical upper limit for current off a PC's USB port.

Ditto mine. Key off, power off. While annoying at times, it's there to prevent draining the battery over a period of time. I recall when cig outlets were powered all the time, and then people starting leaving FM modulators and all kinds of other items plugged in when they dropped the car at the airport. Really annoying to fly home to a dead battery in the lot! I still prefer a combination of switched and unswitched outlets, but you don't see that very often. Neither do you see powered USB ports with key off.

@splashy

Are you sure that the device won't use > 500mA of charge current if connected to a source that can provide it? This is a 2000mAh battery. Typically, they are charged at something between 1/2C and 1C (in this case, between 1000ma and 2000ma). I'm guessing that the car and home chargers are both > 500ma, which is the typical upper limit for current off a PC's USB port.

I was refering to a 'normal' situation, not a speed charger (never knew it could charge faster).

My Montana charges in about 4 hours on a Garmin charger.

If you use the Montana in the car on the cigarette charger usb you won't have problems, I use it often and works just fine, but if compared to a speeedcharger at home, then indeed it might take some more time.

I was refering to a 'normal' situation, not a speed charger (never knew it could charge faster).

A 1/2C charge isn't a speed charge. Should take 2 hours. Even a 1C charge is pretty normal (1 hour) for lithium ion. But to do it, you need enough current for the job. A 2200mAh battery requires a bit more than 2.2A to do it in an hour (not 100% efficient). Of course, they don't deliver full current during the various cycles if lithium charging either, so have to add a little more. Still, you want a charger that will deliver the rated battery capacity in an hour (e.g., 1A for every 1000mAh). Edited by ecanderson

The OP asked if he could charge the Montana in the car inserting the usb cable. He can without any problems. It can take longer then usual if you keep the background light on all the time.

At home my Montana never charged in less the about 3 hours (not completely empty) on a Garmin charger, AFAIK this is the normal way to charge the battery in the Montana, there might be other ways to charge the Montana battery faster, but I have no knowledge of that.

Edited by splashy

Again, I repeat, you guys can theorize and pontificate all you desire, BUT, I would imagine that with Garmin knowing the capacity of the battery and all the specs, they delivered the unit WITH a 110-240v charger that puts out "1 A".

Wouldn't that suggest that that rate is what they are recommending?

Just my 2 cents.

100%, Grasscatcher. Hence my belief that their charger will likely outperform a built-in current limited in-vehicle charging port in terms of charge time. The built-in USB data port in my vehicle is, like a computer, limited to 500mA. For that reason, I use a separate cig lighter adapter capable of delivering 2A to charge and operate my TomTom automotive units, and the difference in charge time is considerable due to the available current. All that to express by unwillingness to agree that "...it won't take any longer then normal."

If Garmin is selling a 1A external charger, they're quite happy with a faster charge than a 500mA outlet is going to provide.

And - big point - if the OP plans to RUN the device while it's connected to a 500mA port, there isn't going to be nearly as much left available for charging to begin with. I assume the Montana can be operated concurrently with charging?

Edited by ecanderson

It will deliver whatever the unit pulls. Someone want to send me a Montana and I'll check the actual situation with a decent meter? I wouldn't hurt anything if the charger was rated at 10A. The current limiting is done internally. The limiting factor will always be the internal charging electronics or the capacity of the charger, whichever is lower.