A race-y.. exchange... thinggy

diddleysquin

I've had a little look around and can't seem to find anyone else proposing this idea (maybe its been tried and deemed a failure, I don't know).

I'm getting ready to put my first bugs into circulation but I find myself struggling with the ideas of destinations. I don't want to go for the classic 'just to travel', but I also want a 'different' kind of goal.

So I've been thinking, why don't we have an 'exchange' kind of thing, two people (anywhere in the world) arrange to set their bugs off at the same time with the goal of getting the bugs to the cach nearest the other.

Maybe that's not the best way of explaining it... Person A lives one side of the world and person B the other. Person A sets of a bug on day X with the aim of getting it to the cach (specified by person B ) that is closest to person B. Person B also sets off a travel bug on day X with the aim of getting to the cach closest to person A. The winner is which ever bug reaches its destination first then the owners can either set new destinations or see if they can return home quicker than they left.

So questions:

1. am I making any sense?

2. Would anyone be interested in playing a game like this?

I'd love to know what you guys think..

Edited by diddleysquin

It's already been done....(more or less)

There are many TB's (and groups of TB's) that are in a RACE to reach certain destinations.

It's an unknown whether or not they reach their destinations at all.... I'm sure some of them make it and some don't

It's a neat idea and you could easily do it. Just don't get discouraged with it (or the game) if it doesn't turn out the way you'd expect it to.

I agree, it is a grand idea.

Problem is, "grand" ideas don't always work well. :):(<_<

You may well desire to have it travel to a specific cache (and it may well make it there), but you can bet your last 2¢ that it is nearly guaranteed not to travel in a route that you would desire.

Not saying that you shouldn't do it... just don't get your expectations too high.

Rather than a RACE to get it done, I would try it as a "Traveling TB Exchange".

I see that you have not yet released any trackables and therefore haven't experienced the way they "travel".

You are going to find what happens is that while some will work diligently to fulfill the goal... many others won't. A lot of people don't even look at the goal... they just move it -- in any direction.

Keep in mind too, that many, if not most trackables never make it to their goal. Some never go beyond their first cache when they disappear.

I wont be sending out the bugs in question until January (they have to arrive in the post first) but it would be nice to find some people willing to do this with me (and / or each other) so that I can have an idea where I'm sending them in advance.

So....in a sense.... this is kinda like a PEN PAL (without the postal service)??

I think its neat and I'd willing to participate.

You would need to come up with detailed 'instructions' of how its going to work or else you'll be bombarded with questions.

For instance:

1) People sign up with you

2) Does each person need a TB to play?

3) Is it a paired exchange? Person A to Person B and Person B to Person A. Or Person A to Person B, then forwarded to Person C and to Person D...etc.

However you think it should be run....Assuming the TB's don't disappear, map out the path they should take so you'll know ahead of time what to expect and/or any problems that might be uncovered. And if some of them do disappear, does it change the dynamic of the progression?

(did all that make sense?

I wont be sending out the bugs in question until January (they have to arrive in the post first) but it would be nice to find some people willing to do this with me (and / or each other) so that I can have an idea where I'm sending them in advance.

So....in a sense.... this is kinda like a PEN PAL (without the postal service)??

I think its neat and I'd willing to participate.

You would need to come up with detailed 'instructions' of how its going to work or else you'll be bombarded with questions.

For instance:

1) People sign up with you

2) Does each person need a TB to play?

3) Is it a paired exchange? Person A to Person B and Person B to Person A. Or Person A to Person B, then forwarded to Person C and to Person D...etc.

However you think it should be run....Assuming the TB's don't disappear, map out the path they should take so you'll know ahead of time what to expect and/or any problems that might be uncovered. And if some of them do disappear, does it change the dynamic of the progression?

(did all that make sense?

Yea, Kinda like a pen pall (a travel pall?)

1) For now I was just looking for interest to be registered in this thread but if its an idea that a few people want to do I'll be more than happy to take details and coordinate.

2) The idea is that, yes, you need a TB (or other trackable) to send with the goal of reaching the other cacher.

3) It is a one to one goal. So person A send to B and B to A - C sends to D and D to C. This isn't to say though that you can't be doing 'swaps' with more than one person at once. So A may have sent out bugs to B, C and D and B, C and D would each be sending a bug towards A. Does that make sense?

I wasn't thinking about mapping out the journey in advance, part of the beauty of a TB is the weird and wonderful journey that it takes to get to its goal, part of the fun is to watch it go half way around the world before it reaches the other end of the street that it set off from.

Yea, Kinda like a pen pall (a travel pall?)

1) For now I was just looking for interest to be registered in this thread but if its an idea that a few people want to do I'll be more than happy to take details and coordinate.

2) The idea is that, yes, you need a TB (or other trackable) to send with the goal of reaching the other cacher.

3) It is a one to one goal. So person A send to B and B to A - C sends to D and D to C. This isn't to say though that you can't be doing 'swaps' with more than one person at once. So A may have sent out bugs to B, C and D and B, C and D would each be sending a bug towards A. Does that make sense?

I wasn't thinking about mapping out the journey in advance, part of the beauty of a TB is the weird and wonderful journey that it takes to get to its goal, part of the fun is to watch it go half way around the world before it reaches the other end of the street that it set off from.

It's your vision and whatever you dream it to be.

Once you get a better picture of the details - I would post another thread (with a more specific title) to hopefully gain more folks to volunteer.

It would be neat to have a listing of all the TB's (webpages) and their start & ending location goals. And to see how many make it there.

Would we know - ahead of time - to whom they are trying to reach? That in itself - would be neat to 'get to know' the person to whom you're TB paling with.

Good Luck!!

Would we know - ahead of time - to whom they are trying to reach? That in itself - would be neat to 'get to know' the person to whom you're TB paling with.

Good Luck!!

Yes, you find out who you're playing with, the idea is to keep in touch.

I'll write up some actual 'rules' and post them on their own thread as it seems there's enough interest to at least get some trial runs going.

Thanks guys

DFTBA