Monterra...and what it can/can't do

sending and receiving e-mail you would be able to do.

Texting is normally associated with having cellular service, so I'd say no to that unless using a special service.

My daughter texts with my on her ipod using a Text Plus app when she's within wifi, I guess if there is a playstore app for texting, that would work too within wifi. I just found a review on the Monterra that covers everything it can do, including email.

What the review doesn't cover is what it can't do. I had read a comment in a chat group that someone thought that with the bluetooth connection you can recieve turn by turn routing to your motorcycle helmet? True?

One more question, with maps...I've heard that there are some open source maps or open street maps that you can download to garmin units rather than paying for maps. I purchased Topo maps 6 years ago for my current gps, I was looking at updating them, but now I'm wondering how one downloads such maps to a gps unit, and whether the Monterra would take these maps as well.

Again, thanks

If the Topo's are from Garmin, you registered them and will only be useable on the original gps.

The good news is we have free Topo's now from the Us/Canada on gpsfiledept and as you mentioned OpenStreetMap maps.

From osm you will have a choise, use them only on the Gps you select the gmapsupp.img file, else the Mapsource/+ Basecamp file

The gmapsupp.img can be placed in the Garminfolder from either the Gps or the SD card.

BE AWARE, gmapsupp.img is the name generated by Basecamp and Mapsource, don't overwrite any maps.

You can rename the map as myname.img

Edited by splashy
What the review doesn't cover is what it can't do. I had read a comment in a chat group that someone thought that with the bluetooth connection you can recieve turn by turn routing to your motorcycle helmet? True?

Yes, true. You can get Bt from the Monterra to a compatible headset like the Sena or Scala.

Have you read DRTBYK's excellent review of the Monterra?

In there he says this: "In addition to the inReach, I paired my Sena SMH10R in-helmet Bluetooth Headset and listened to the turn-by-turn navigation prompts when routing and using Garmin's City Navigator North America map -- all the while listening to my music playing with the PowerAMP App I installed."