Ammo Cans..

basscat5

Ammo cans are ridiculously expensive, now. When we were on a major road trip this summer, we stopped into a survivalist store and I found a 40mm can for the same price as .50 cal are in my town. I made puppy dog eyes at my husband and he finally bought it for me. :laughing: He's convinced someone will steal it, and said he wouldn't buy it unless I promised to chain it down. :rolleyes: I think I'll make it a mystery in the middle of nowhere, instead.

Cabela's often have 'em out during sale days too.

Cj's been able to snag a few. Most are gone early in the morning.

Last year she was there at three, waiting to open (someone could make a fortune selling coffee) and none left when she got in the area. That quick.

She called and said everyone seemed to have ammo cans but her, so she filled (literally) the cart up with .223 ammo (1000 rds comes in ammo cans) and I ended up with a good deal too. :D

10 bucks a pop isn't bad these days, but I remember when Cheaper than Dirt sold them 6 for $19. It came to about 6 for $30 with shipping. I'd order 6 "six packs" at a time.

The best deal is if you can get a local geocaching organization to buy a pallet or two. By the pallet they come to about $2-$3 each and often they are sold at cost or with a slight markup to make a little money for the organization's coffer. The last batch of ammo cans I bought cost me $2 each and they came from our regional geocaching org.

Edited by briansnat
The best deal is if you can get a local geocaching organization to buy a pallet or two. By the pallet they come to about $2-$3 each and often they are sold at cost or with a slight markup to make a little money for the organization's coffer. The last batch of ammo cans I bought cost me $2 each and they came from our regional geocaching org.

Yeah, auctions are the best if you have folks interested and the room for four hundred to a thousand cans.

Everybody around here wants much smaller these days.

Forts Jackson and Carlson were both big suppliers of cans last we looked.

Our local group used to pay two bucks for 30 cal and four for 50s.

Can't get anybody interested anymore, which seems odd, as many of the plastic containers cost the same or more.

The problem is people are lazy, the larger containers take more time to put together and find a suitable place to hide, as well as, if done properly, being granted permission from the land owner before hiding. I don't mind putting in the extra work to make my own containers or camo, and to find a suitable location as well as the the leg work to gain permission, and just not assume.

But back on topic, you may be able to make your own containers for the price of some or less if you are willing to put the time and effort into it.

Try your local gun shows...... always lots of ammo cans there. I'm just not sure how much (you could haggle though).

Agreed.

Many gun shows you can swap too and it doesn't have to be firearm related.

Rural seems best to us.

Our area, a 30 cal might go for five or six bucks. The next large Town S/SW, that same vendor may ask eight.

That's an excellent price for the .50 caliber ones, unfortunately there are not any shops nearby.

http://www.basspro.com/BLACKHAWK!-The-Can-Metal-Ammo-Box/product/120829053510554/

Interesting....not actual military cans but some form of freshly painted knock-off.......it seems a decent product by most reviews.

They most likely are military cans with the markings painted over.

That's an excellent price for the .50 caliber ones, unfortunately there are not any shops nearby.

http://www.basspro.com/BLACKHAWK!-The-Can-Metal-Ammo-Box/product/120829053510554/

Interesting....not actual military cans but some form of freshly painted knock-off.......it seems a decent product by most reviews.

"Enjoy the durable versatility of the traditional metal ammo box with The Can from BLACKHAWK!. Mimicking the design of surplus military ammo cans, this tough steel storage container provides trustworthy dry protection for whatever you decide to put in it. Sure closing, heavy-duty latch and waterproof seal make The Can a great dry box for tools, repair kits, first-aid kits, cameras, and ammo. Drop-down handle for easy carrying. Dimensions: 12'' x 6-1/8'' x 7-1/2''."

Blackhawk's a huge outfit. They might very well have the original manufacturer make 'em for them.

"Enjoy the durable versatility of the traditional metal ammo box with The Can from BLACKHAWK!. Mimicking the design of surplus military ammo cans, this tough steel storage container provides trustworthy dry protection for whatever you decide to put in it. Sure closing, heavy-duty latch and waterproof seal make The Can a great dry box for tools, repair kits, first-aid kits, cameras, and ammo. Drop-down handle for easy carrying. Dimensions: 12'' x 6-1/8'' x 7-1/2''."

Blackhawk's a huge outfit. They might very well have the original manufacturer make 'em for them.

Hmmm. If that is true, I wonder how much different they would be.

I also noticed that Academy Sports has it for the same price ($10), and with free shipping for any order over $39.

http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/blackhawk-steel-ammunition-can/pid-850007

Bass and Pro Shops offer free shipping, but only for orders over $100, and they limit the ammo can purchases to a max of 5. Most of the other sites list them for between $15 and $18 each.

This site has them for just under $20 each, providing you buy a dozen. :ohttp://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/88757

Edited by 4wheelin_fool

I can't speak for the 50 calibre cans Bass Pro Shops sells, as I haven't put hands on them yet, but I can offer some possible insight. I took a good look at the 30 calibre cans my local Wally World sells for $16, and I found that those are indistinguishable from the military cans I've had. These are also made by Blackhawk. The impression I got from looking at them is that they were made using the same materials, and the same process. My assumption is that Blackhawk is making these to the same military specs.

A 50 cal Ammo can goes for $30 here.

Due to the number of cans being stolen, many are starting to use the plastic ammo cans from Plano.

More cost effective and they don't seem to appeal to the folks that are stealing the real ammo cans.

I've encountered them and they are often wet. They don't compare to real ammo boxes.

I can't speak for the 50 calibre cans Bass Pro Shops sells, as I haven't put hands on them yet, but I can offer some possible insight. I took a good look at the 30 calibre cans my local Wally World sells for $16, and I found that those are indistinguishable from the military cans I've had. These are also made by Blackhawk. The impression I got from looking at them is that they were made using the same materials, and the same process. My assumption is that Blackhawk is making these to the same military specs.

Blackhawk being a major supplier for the military, I would expect nothing less from them. Infact, I would be dispointed otherwise. I have bought many blackhawk products, during my career in the military, and have always been pleased with their quality, both the stuff they make themselves and purchase for resale. Everything has been top notch and held up well to the abuse I have put it through globe hopping before my days as a geocacher.

I also noticed that Academy Sports has it for the same price ($10), and with free shipping for any order over $39.

http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/blackhawk-steel-ammunition-can/pid-850007

Bass and Pro Shops offer free shipping, but only for orders over $100, and they limit the ammo can purchases to a max of 5. Most of the other sites list them for between $15 and $18 each.

This site has them for just under $20 each, providing you buy a dozen. :ohttp://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/88757

Thanks.....just ordered 7 from Academy .

Due to the number of cans being stolen, many are starting to use the plastic ammo cans from Plano.

More cost effective and they don't seem to appeal to the folks that are stealing the real ammo cans.

About five years ago, my friend and I rented a box truck and drove down to Camp Pendelton, where we picked up 4 pallets of donated 50 cal ammo boxes. My friend stored them and sold them to the community for $3 each, just to cover our expenses. I still have 10 sitting in my shed providing a home to generations of spiders. It's just not worth hiding them around here. As soon as someone logs "nice ammo can", the next log is a DNF. There is a very determined ammo can thief with a premium account in our area, so it's probably been two years since any one has bothered to hide one.

Maybe I'll break one out of my shed and try again.

$T2eC16VHJFoE9nh6oVcDBQZ58JyuP!~~60_12.jpgNot an ammo can, but I just stumbled upon this in the knowledge books. I have access to these for free. :) Has anyone used them before and how do they perform?

It's hard to see exactly what that is, or determine the size. But if it is an insulated picnic or 'soup' container, I have found a number of those and they hold up quite well. The best ones of this type have a wide mouth, waterproof cap and an 'overcap' that comes off, to allow you to use it as a cup or bowl for the soup. Well-hidden or covered with camo tape, they make pretty good containers.

Here is one

13 gallons! Much bigger than I figured from the original photo.

I'd have to test them fairly to be sure, but I like what I see so far. My only concern is that the lid is only held on with a two level thread. A low thread count could lead to moisture wicking in. If these are as sturdy as they appear, they might make great containers for areas with salt water, which is harsh on ammo cans. The advertisement says they are used for shipping large quantities of prescription pills, which would lead me to believe they are fairly sturdy.

I wonder if they make them smaller?

Edit to add: I found a 2 gallon version by the same seller. About $33 after shipping. Yikes! I wish I knew who the manufacturer is, so I could hunt a local seller.

Edited by Clan Riffster

My 7 cans came today.....brand new, dent free, and work perfectly....marked Reg $20.....not bad for less than $11 delivered to my door.

Again, thanks for the heads up.

You're welcome. I should have immediately done the same, as they posted a "Not available online" note shortly after you ordered them. I am guessing that the free shipping cost them much more than what they were expecting.

I've encountered them and they are often wet. They don't compare to real ammo boxes.

I live in northern Ohio (so we get wet and cold weather) and use these plastic ammo boxes often and only have a problem if they are not upright. If they are laying on their side water is able to pool along the seal and then the change in the air pressure will suck the water into the box.

I live in northern Ohio (so we get wet and cold weather) and use these plastic ammo boxes often and only have a problem if they are not upright. If they are laying on their side water is able to pool along the seal and then the change in the air pressure will suck the water into the box.

I was thinking that the plastic ammo boxes would make a good alternative to the traditional metal cans, in areas where salt water is a concern, such as coastal Florida. Admittedly, as of this writing, I have only found a few of these, though all of them showed indications of moisture intrusion. Incidentally, all were upright, when I found them. I noticed that the sides were thin enough to be fairly pliable. Pliable enough to allow a simple two handed grip enough leverage to squeeze the box, forcing air past the seal. I'm not sure if this is what causes them to be less than waterproof.

I was thinking that the plastic ammo boxes would make a good alternative to the traditional metal cans, in areas where salt water is a concern, such as coastal Florida. Admittedly, as of this writing, I have only found a few of these, though all of them showed indications of moisture intrusion. Incidentally, all were upright, when I found them. I noticed that the sides were thin enough to be fairly pliable. Pliable enough to allow a simple two handed grip enough leverage to squeeze the box, forcing air past the seal. I'm not sure if this is what causes them to be less than waterproof.

I have regular caches in the field, one right at 10 years , and IMO the design is at least as water tight as ammo cans. I use 4" ABS pipe Sch 40 ( abs is black and if paint gets chipped is less visible) and cut to a length of at least 12". On one end is a non removable plumbers test cap cemented on and on the other end is a removable test cap with two lands on the ID that really grip the pipe ( these are designed to withstand actual water pressure during testing......the inspector checks to see if the cap is bulged out under pressure.) I sand the whole cache and camo paint and put on large geo-sticker. I checked on the 10 year cache the other day and the contents looked like when I put them in. Nothing unusual about PVC but every other removable end I've seen leaked.

I don't think the plastic ammo cans would hold up....its a shame because I just got 5 free ones with a large bullet order.

I use 4" ABS pipe Sch 40

I've got mixed feelings about PVC. Obviously, the material itself is very durable, so that's a point in its favor. It will never rust, so here in Florida, that's another plus. My concern is that I've found probably over a hundred PVC caches over the years. Not counting new hides, every single one I've found, save one, has been either damp, or outright soaked inside. That one dry one had a glued on bottom cap, and a screw in upper cap. The owner used some sort of silicon to create a gasket on the screw in cap, which, presumably helped keep moisture out? Maybe? Most of the soaked PVC caches used a press on cap, which, given the different material densities, creates gaps when the temperature changes. A few of the damp ones have incorporated various types of test plugs.

Looking at Google Images, I see there are a host of different test plugs and test caps to pick from, from a simple slip it piece, held only by static friction, to complicated ones incorporating screws and compressing gaskets. Which one were you successful with?

I use 4" ABS pipe Sch 40

I've got mixed feelings about PVC. Obviously, the material itself is very durable, so that's a point in its favor. It will never rust, so here in Florida, that's another plus. My concern is that I've found probably over a hundred PVC caches over the years. Not counting new hides, every single one I've found, save one, has been either damp, or outright soaked inside. That one dry one had a glued on bottom cap, and a screw in upper cap. The owner used some sort of silicon to create a gasket on the screw in cap, which, presumably helped keep moisture out? Maybe? Most of the soaked PVC caches used a press on cap, which, given the different material densities, creates gaps when the temperature changes. A few of the damp ones have incorporated various types of test plugs.

Looking at Google Images, I see there are a host of different test plugs and test caps to pick from, from a simple slip it piece, held only by static friction, to complicated ones incorporating screws and compressing gaskets. Which one were you successful with?

This should be it :

http://www.ipscorp.com/plumbing/testtite/testcaps/sliponcaps

I don't have any here at work.....got a bag full at home so its been awhile since I ordered. I used to give them away here at a cache where I work ....folks wanted to make them and all thats special is the slip on cap. I lightly sand the inner bands so its not TOO tight....it still has to be worked side to side to get it gradually off. As you say , ALL other PVC hides I have found were wet....not going to happen with this cap.

The only thing keeping me from saying this is a better container than an ammo can is a critter could gnaw through either end ....this has not happened to any of mine though. I'll see if I can't attach a photo when I get home.

Thanx! I'll give it a test run. :)

...a critter could gnaw through either end...

That would take one very committed critter! :lol:

When the pipe is cut short ( just a little longer than the slip on cap ) it makes about the best small container there is and would blow away a lock & lock.....also sits flat and easy to conceal.

They are very cheap in bulk but can be hard to find locally......if you want to try one email me your address and I'll mail you one.

Thanx! I'll give it a test run. :)

...a critter could gnaw through either end...

That would take one very committed critter! :lol:

When the pipe is cut short ( just a little longer than the slip on cap ) it makes about the best small container there is and would blow away a lock & lock.....also sits flat and easy to conceal.

They are very cheap in bulk but can be hard to find locally......if you want to try one email me your address and I'll mail you one.

My days of math are way past... :lol:

For a small, I'm thinking a 4" OD pipe, cut at 4" in length, would make a great small. My brain is picturing something about the same volume of a decon kit? Maybe a tad larger? I am interested in giving one of these my washing machine test. Email is on the way.

Here is one

13 gallons! Much bigger than I figured from the original photo.

I'd have to test them fairly to be sure, but I like what I see so far. My only concern is that the lid is only held on with a two level thread. A low thread count could lead to moisture wicking in. If these are as sturdy as they appear, they might make great containers for areas with salt water, which is harsh on ammo cans. The advertisement says they are used for shipping large quantities of prescription pills, which would lead me to believe they are fairly sturdy.

I wonder if they make them smaller?

Edit to add: I found a 2 gallon version by the same seller. About $33 after shipping. Yikes! I wish I knew who the manufacturer is, so I could hunt a local seller.

That orignal link showed an image of the mfg. stamp. Try Curtec

Not sure if you have that already, but I didn't see any posts on that... I see it's a bit dated.

Doug 7rxc