Garmin Monterra - not so good first impressions

goldriver

There are still issues with the compass, they resolved many problems and many not.

Some claim not to have problems, but find it normal to factory reset the gps every few days and calibrating the compass about every day.

On this moment it's not really a best seller and many people did sent it back.

There will be a new model in the pipeline, but generally speaking Garmin ALWAYS has issues wit the 'outdoor' models especially when Android is on it.

Android Nuvi phone was taken off the market after about 6 month.

Also many people have an Android phone, therefore the only extra the Monterra has is a in the sun readable screen, for all other things (battery ruggedness) is a solution.

Monterra issues

http://garminmonterra.wikispaces.com/Common+Issues

If you're not in the Us be SURE the seller will take it beck if you want so.

Thank you for comment.

Because I dont need it necessarily I will waiting my be for new model. By the way Im from Slovenia. Sometimes I think to buy, and then when I read on the forum about errors - stop me. I asked on SLO forum about Montera and I did not find any person which have Monterra. I assume that they sold very little GPS Monterra. Ok for now. We'll see what happens in the future about monterra. If you heard some new please write on forum.

best regards Ivo

Thank you for comment.

Because I dont need it necessarily I will waiting my be for new model. By the way Im from Slovenia. Sometimes I think to buy, and then when I read on the forum about errors - stop me. I asked on SLO forum about Montera and I did not find any person which have Monterra. I assume that they sold very little GPS Monterra. Ok for now. We'll see what happens in the future about monterra. If you heard some new please write on forum.

best regards Ivo

hi,

I'm in Slovenia right now, and I'm geocaching with my Monterra.

No problems for me.

I've read a lot of comments about people who are angry with Garmin. In some cases I understand, but I think the main problem is: most people can't cope with the combination Android/Garmin. I'm someone who uses both Garmin and Android intensively, and even I had to search for some things. Now after 5-6 months, I handle it smoothly, and if there should be any problems, I know where they came from, and usually it's me trying things that aren't possible.

ps, I'm here for work for another week, next I'm going back to Belgium

Im from Sp.Slivnica four km from Grosuplje. Now in the morning I was in Ljubljana.You are approx.100km away.Im cyclist. Look on this link to one of our trip

when we are crossing Brezice. Its my friend of cycling team. On meantime i had gpsmap 62s. Than montana and now i have noting.On picture No 37 im in red dress.

http://www.mojalbum.com/ivoho/bizeljsko-junij-2012

http://www.mojalbum.com/ivoho/montana-600

Ho il Monterra da diversi mesi ed ho fatto tutti gli aggiornamenti. Lo uso per il trekking e per il geocaching. Ci ho dovuto smanettare sopra un po' per gestirlo al meglio, ma ora sono molto soddisfatto e non lo cambierei con nessun altro dispositivo. È comodo da gestire e molto preciso. Per quanto riguarda l'autonomia ho acquistato una batteria di riserva che ho usato una sola volta in un trekking particolarmente lungo.

Ok

I see that you have no problems with Monterra. For now I will wait to buy it. You are the first person which said that no have problem with Monterra.

I always have the impression that people are complaining because the other do so. There are obviously some problems, but they're not so bad as they claim to be. Maybe it is because they can't handle the monterra, maybe it's something else. But I'm very happy with it.

If you should have bought it, and you have questions, you can always contact me

Ok

I see that you have no problems with Monterra. For now I will wait to buy it. You are the first person which said that no have problem with Monterra.

I always have the impression that people are complaining because the other do so. There are obviously some problems, but they're not so bad as they claim to be. Maybe it is because they can't handle the monterra, maybe it's something else. But I'm very happy with it.

As long there's a long bug list in the wiki I believe the wiki.

Specially now I bought a Oregon 600 knowing there are bug according to the wiki, if fact these bugs mentioned in the wiki are there.

Often the bugs are not detected because of the use, others have a wrong perception and everything seems to go wrong.

And in fact the learning curve of a Monterra type op Gpsr is too high for some.

Edited by splashy

Battery life is not as good as the Montana and it's probably due to all the background apps that are running on the Android platform. However, like the Montana, it will run on 3 AA batteries (IIRC), and if you get another battery, you should be just fine.

WRT batteries, my Garmin Virb camera uses the same battery as the Montana and Monterra, and so I use whichever gps I have on the bike to charge batteries. But when I need to switch the battery between the gps and the Virb, the Montana shuts down and restarts in a fraction of the time the Monterra takes. It's about 2 seconds for the Montana, and anything up to a minute for the Monterra. Doesn't seem like much, but if you have to do it twice in a day, it gets annoying.

This is just one of the reasons I prefer the Montana. I have both, but the Montana is almost always the one I choose.

My first experience with Monterra are good. I made trip with car and bicycle. Test camera is good. Navigation, Connect on net, pictures, screen visibility and all whic I test for now are goog.I noticed that sleep time in of inactivity after 10 min if I have settings on 30min. Than I settings on 15 sec and stay active all time. My be this one of bugs but it not problems. FM radio works good. Navigation in car is good when I placet it on bracket with speaker.

Its for now.

br Ivo

Yes you are right. But when I had Montana i bought original bracket for car which stay on armature and now i can use it. Monterra cant stay on armature and the voice is stronger from bracket. Now i didnt see it on Garmin site and Montera id delete from garmin site on SLO page (why) i dont no ) I have SW on Monterra version 2.10 but now i saw that is the last sw 3.50. I must changed it.

BR Ivo

Which I wrote in post No 116 about sleep time of screen now with SW 3.50 is correct.

Just for info I bought SDHC micro card 32G Full HD video speed 48 MB/sec in I have feeling tahat is screen is so faster that with classic SDHC card.

When I moved map on screeen with finger just fly. Card is from SanDisk.

BR Ivo

About speed its not what I wrote. I changed micro SDHC card width clasic and the screen is just as fast.

But I have next problem. My be its happened when I change SW on 3.50. I cant see menu in Garmin on PC. Im confirmed this in garmin but not access.

Is someone now where is problem.

BR Ivo

Ok

As long there's a long bug list in the wiki I believe the wiki.

Specially now I bought a Oregon 600 knowing there are bug according to the wiki, if fact these bugs mentioned in the wiki are there.

Often the bugs are not detected because of the use, others have a wrong perception and everything seems to go wrong.

And in fact the learning curve of a Monterra type op Gpsr is too high for some.

I couldn't agree more. I've used the Monterra now for 10 months or so. In the beginning I had problems as well. But now (still learning new stuff) I must say, it's a very nice GPSr with a lot of possibilities.