I lost two of the same CO's caches on the same day!

hankpixie

Just wanted some feedback on this strange situation. Cached all day and ended up dropping the bottom half of two small nanos of two separate caches that I found and due to the terrain and leaves etc. and a lengthy search I could not find them. Turns out both caches belonged to the same CO! I emailed the CO later that day to tell my story and to offer any monetary replacement or to straight out replace the containers as I was out of town and couldn't go back and search again the next day because of my work schedule. Anyway, I received an email from friends of the CO and basically was scolded about my actions. #1, I admitted I lost the part of the caches and I emailed the CO and stated that and offered to replace them and also expressed my sincere apologies. Not sure what else I could do as I was a cacher from out of town on a limited schedule. As a cache owner myself I would want to know if there were any issues with any of my own hides. I felt that I was some out of town cacher that was there to cause problems but that was far from the case. Anyway, just wanted the thoughts from others that may have run into issues into losing parts or entire caches from CO's. I have never lost any caches before and I admit this is a really odd case but it happened and i cannot change that....thanks.

You did exactly the right thing in offering to replace what you lost. Sounds low cost, and you could pay by PayPal.

You and the CO had better stick with larger caches from here on out! :grin:

+1.....I actually put it more on the CO.....you are responsible for WHAT you hide and WHERE you hide it. If the container is tiny there will be issues.....if its hanging over a hole it will get dropped and lost. I learned a long time ago that some neat ideas don't work out in the maintenance dept.

Just reading your log entries, it's not apparent how things went between you and the cache owner, or that your offered to cough up some $$ to replace the containers. I'm not sure you would have been the target of the nasty grams from the watchers on those Listings if they had heard the whole story.

Stuff happens, and you tried to make it right. Looks like the cache owner took prompt action, and took it with grace, nor malign your actions or ineptitude ;)

I would chalk it up to uninformed locals, and consider the case closed. It's all good.

You did absolutely everything you could do. You can't control the reaction of oversensitive cache owners, or their snarky friends.

I did exactly the same thing once. In my case, it was a bison tube whose top was attached to a fence. I unscrewed the base from the top, and took the log sheet out to sign it. After replacing the log, I dropped the base and it rolled downhill into high grass on the other side of the fence. My only excuse was that it was cold that day and my hands were half-frozen. The other side of the fence was private property, and I didn't want to take the risk of trespassing to look for it.

This also happened a good distance from home (western Pennsylvania), and there was no way I could fix the cache with supplies I had with me.

I notified the cache owner of what had happened; in my case, the CO was reasonable. He thanked me for letting him know, disabled the cache, and replaced it a couple of days later.

He also told me I could go ahead and claim the find. I had signed the log, after all. :D

--Larry

You did exactly the right thing in offering to replace what you lost. Sounds low cost, and you could pay by PayPal.

+1.....I actually put it more on the CO.....you are responsible for WHAT you hide and WHERE you hide it. If the container is tiny there will be issues.....if its hanging over a hole it will get dropped and lost. I learned a long time ago that some neat ideas don't work out in the maintenance dept.

I agree, it sounds like the are could have supported a larger easy to find when dropped container. Caches get dropped all the time. Besides and empty film can or a small container from Taps Plastic is a lot cheaper than buying a nano

Nothing else you could have done except maybe bringing a metal detector. I lost part of a nano once and felt really bad about it. I offered to replace it but the CO turned me down and replaced it herself. I think if you hide nanos you pretty much have tp expect this sort of thing. As for thecfriends telling you off, what would they have preferred-that you didn't tell anyone?

I totally agree with you there. I know someone lost one of my top piece of the nano and never told me. Not sure who did, but I treat it like its part of the game as a CO.

I dont take the game too serious. I count all my caches as a lost when I place them. Yes I hope it will last up to two to five years, but thats not always going to happen.

As a CO, I won't chew out anyone if they lost my caches, it happens. If they want to replace it, I will tell them to place a new cache out so I or many other can find it. :) It goes around smoother.

I found myself in similar situation once. It was far away from home, and it was dark already. Coordinates of the cache were off and I had to touch every metal surface to find this magnetic nano. Suddenly I reached it with my fingers but failed to grab it - either the magnet was weak or the surface was rusty or I was just inaccurate but the little bastard fell and jumped to the nearest pit beside the wall of the building. I heard the sound of it falling on a concrete floor. The pit was more than 2 meters high and was surrounded with a high fence (to which the container was stuck with its magnet actually). I used my torch to explore the pit and the fence from above and become sure I wasn't able to get the nano from the pit myself. If even I got down I would not be able to get back. Besides, it was a living house so I feared that my actions would alarm the neighbourhood and I would spend this night in police explaining my strange behaviour. Sadly, I had no magnetic containers with me but only one non-magnetic nano which I managed to place at a good distance and very differently to be sure it could not be counted as a throw-down. I emailed the CO ASAP, explained the case, apologized and offered the new location with new coordinates. He said "no problem, it's close to my home and I have more magnetic nanos at hand so I will replace it soon". This was what he did. I felt really badly about being so awkward and promised myself to be more accurate. At the same time, I feel it's essential to be sure at all caches that I own so hiding place should be safe from such accidents. There should not be containers which may be easily dropped/pushed to places one cannot reach.