full logbook

Wildfootprint

new to geocaching and as I have begun hitting some of my local caches I've found only full log sheets. I'm happy to add new fresh sheets but these micro containers would not fit the old and new. Is there a protocol of what to do with the full sheets? I.e. do i upload them somehow or??? I don't the the original owner is planning to replace. please advise

new to geocaching and as I have begun hitting some of my local caches I've found only full log sheets. I'm happy to add new fresh sheets but these micro containers would not fit the old and new. Is there a protocol of what to do with the full sheets? I.e. do i upload them somehow or??? I don't the the original owner is planning to replace. please advise

I wouldn't replace any unless I knew the CO, or the CO is inactive and the cache is in good shape. When I do, I kept the old ones, and said if the CO wants them to contact me. I think I still have some on my geo-box. You can't really upload them other than maybe scanning them and posting it as a photo on the cache page.

what I have done in the past is just write over what is already there. I would not feel comfortable in removing a log, most people include (log is full) when they post the find. I winter there is the other problem of logs being ruined by moisture. As far a cache that have the room I just include a new log sheet, I always have a few micro logs on my wallet

Edited by JohnnyVegas

You can just state that the log is full so couldn't sign. Or replace it and offer to mail it to the CO. I have never had a CO want it. We wouldn't. If the log is full it is not really your problem to deal with. We find it nice if someone replaces it but it is not up to you to have to do that. You might run into a CO that doesn't want the log replaced and wants to check it but I think that would be few and far between. Glad you are concerned with it and hope you keep up caching!

You can just state that the log is full so couldn't sign. Or replace it and offer to mail it to the CO. I have never had a CO want it. We wouldn't. If the log is full it is not really your problem to deal with. We find it nice if someone replaces it but it is not up to you to have to do that. You might run into a CO that doesn't want the log replaced and wants to check it but I think that would be few and far between. Glad you are concerned with it and hope you keep up caching!

I agree....we've replaced several hundred logs ( the vast majority were soaked or unreadable pulp ) . On full logs there is usually some place to initial it....a micro log usually bites the dust long before its full and 98.769 % of micro owners never read the logs.

For me, it depends on exactly what I find.

If there's nothing left of the log but a wad of hopelessly soaked paper pulp, I figure it's useless to anybody. I replace it with dry paper and throw the paper pulp away. In one case, I tried drying out the soaked wad to see if I could recover the contents. The result of that experiment was the realization that I'd watched too many episodes of CSI; maybe a museum restorer could have done a better job, but it wouldn't be worth the expense.:P

If the log is readable but there's no more room for cachers to sign it, AND there's no space in the cache to simply add more paper, I'll remove the full sheet, replace it with fresh paper, and offer to deliver the full log to the cache owner. I've done this probably a hundred times over the years, and most of the time the cache owner doesn't even bother to respond. In a few cases, they've thanked me for the offer and told me I could throw it away. In maybe two cases over the past seven years, a cache owner has asked that I send the full log to him.

The last, and easiest, case is when the log is full and there's space for a new log. In those instances, I just leave more paper.

--Larry

Good morning.

I'm very new to my latest addiction. ;) Yesterday I came across a log that was soaked and unusable. I didn't have a replacement on me, which leads me to my question.

Do any of you have preferences of types of log to keep with you? I see there are some you buy that you roll up with a key-looking thing like the one that used to come on a sardine can. I see there are some made of a special paper. Do any of you print you own at home?

In order to help keep it dry in the future, would you recommend a certain size zip lock bag to put it in?

Any suggestions are appreciated. :)

In order to help keep it dry in the future, would you recommend a certain size zip lock bag to put it in?

If you think a zip-loc baggie is going to keep a log dry... think again. A better cache container is the best way. Baggies actually enhance the water-logging of paper.

The cache container itself is the first-line of defense. If it needs a baggie, then it has already failed and any other method of keeping a log dry is doomed to failure -- and with the growth of mold and mildew.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

2 Things:

1. You log a find and then a needs maintanence saying that the log is full

2. You log a find, and if you have the appropriate log for the cache, then you can replace the full log with the new blank one with your signature.

Years ago, I bought a small box of Rite in the Rain weatherproof paper. I run it through my laser printer to print replacement/supplemental log sheets that I carry with me in my geocache repair kit. I've left quite a few replacement/supplemental log sheets, and I still have most of the box left.

I never remove the existing log though. I just add a new weatherproof log sheet.

I always replace the logs with empty ones if the log is damaged, wet or full and e-mail the CO and ask them if they want the old ones back. I have yet to of had one person ask for the logs. So, I dry them out and place them in a special box and label where I found them in case of a change of mind by the CO in the future. If that cache becomes archived, I place the log sheet into my burn barrel and it soon ends up in my garden as ash.