Garmin 62S for $199

BAMBOOZLE

I know its already been posted in another thread but I wanted to give this its own topic.

REI has this unit for $199...I couldn't pass it up ( my third one )for that price.....now on long trips we'll have a 62S for a backup.

We've used quite a few units and these are our favorites....also REI has a one year return policy if there are any problems.

Many thanks ( I think :rolleyes: ) to those who gave the heads up....GREAT VALUE.

Drop by GPS File Depot and look for free third-party topo (and other) maps for your particular area. Also, check out Open Street Maps for loadable third-party road maps. The basemap on any of the Garmin units isn't very detailed -- it's basically enough to see major highways and get a rough idea of where you are in a particular state. It's better than nothing, but not by much.

Edited by Pacific NW

In your opinion, Is the basemap on the 62s good enough to use for caching/hiking/navigating? Or would it be better to get Topo maps along with it?

The basemaps on the Garmins aren't much good for anything.

After buying the 62S I was checking for maps and found City Navigator 2014 on Ebay for $21. This comes on a micro SD card which is how I normally buy it but it usually costs almost $70....it is new and in original packaging. These are great detail maps ( not topo ).....you just insert the card and the detail street map will be there when you start the unit.

This is the link :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/City-Navigator-North-America-NT-2014-2-Garmin-Full-Maps-U-S-Canada-Mexico-/261335221903?pt=GPS_Maps_Software&hash=item3cd8cb068f

If the map works its a better deal the the 62.

When I bought my Oregon 450t, I thought that having the topo 100k maps would be better than the regular base map. And it is. Topo 100k that comes with all of the xxxt series models is much better than the generic base map. It's got pretty much all of the roads (not routable) and many trails, geographic POI's, plus the elevation data. But I was also naive to the free maps available on gpsfiledepot.com. These free user-made maps are more detailed, and I actually use them over garmin's topo map. So, I do kinda regret spending the extra money for the 450t over the 450.

I know its already been posted in another thread but I wanted to give this its own topic.

REI has this unit for $199...I couldn't pass it up ( my third one )for that price.....now on long trips we'll have a 62S for a backup.

We've used quite a few units and these are our favorites....also REI has a one year return policy if there are any problems.

Many thanks ( I think :rolleyes: ) to those who gave the heads up....GREAT VALUE.

I just ruined my day so I might as well attempt to ruin someone else's, lol. We don't have REI here in Canada, but I also just bought another 62s for $249 which I thought was a great deal. But now I see Costco (Canada) has the 62sc on for $249....DOH!!

This was supposed to end yesterday, but is still available at REI's site. Perhaps extended Dec 2?

Or maybe a permanent price drop. I wouldn't be surprised if Garmin is about to release a newer edition of the GPSmap 6x series that supports GLONASS and some of the other improvements to the Oregon 600 line.

This was supposed to end yesterday, but is still available at REI's site. Perhaps extended Dec 2?

Or maybe a permanent price drop. I wouldn't be surprised if Garmin is about to release a newer edition of the GPSmap 6x series that supports GLONASS and some of the other improvements to the Oregon 600 line.

They are gone at REI . Just locally we bought 3.

Haven't heard a word about the 64 ? series....if it hit the street in 6 months it would take at least 1 1/2 years worth of firmware upgrades to make it usable so you're 2 years out. Re added accuracy / glonass , using the 62 I already hit my head on or kick most caches before I find them so that's not an issue. I do like new toys and screens and would LOVE A BETTER CASE so bring it on.

In your opinion, Is the basemap on the 62s good enough to use for caching/hiking/navigating? Or would it be better to get Topo maps along with it?

After buying the 62S I was checking for maps and found City Navigator 2014 on Ebay for $21. This comes on a micro SD card which is how I normally buy it but it usually costs almost $70....it is new and in original packaging. These are great detail maps ( not topo ).....you just insert the card and the detail street map will be there when you start the unit.

This is the link :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/City-Navigator-North-America-NT-2014-2-Garmin-Full-Maps-U-S-Canada-Mexico-/261335221903?pt=GPS_Maps_Software&hash=item3cd8cb068f

You realize those eBay maps are almost certainly pirated?

It's too good of a price to pass up...surprised they lasted as long as they did.

Since you're in Ottawa I might as well tell you there's a Pawn Shop on Merivale with two new 62S units. The owner of the store told me he'd let them go for $160 each. There are no boxes with them, but they still have the plastic on the screens and they do look new. PM me if you want details.

This is the link :

You realize those eBay maps are almost certainly pirated?

I was wondering about that.....the two I bought seemed to be in original factory packaging with tamper proof stickers on the larger shipping container and the plastic SD card holder...the SD card holders had Garmin stickers on them.

Both cards work great in the units....I checked several locations around the U.S. , etc.