Kansas City Area Geocachers Get Together

Guest Steve McGinnis

Guest Steve McGinnis

O.K. Every one keeps talking about a get together, but no one seems to want to do any thing about it. Let's see, I believe it was John, who suggested Shumaucher (sp) Park. (I'm sorry if I am wrong, correctme), and every one seemed to agree with that. All we need to do now is figure out when will be convenient for every one. I am pretty much open all summer, at the present time, except for Mothers day week end. How about every one else. A nice geocachers picnic, sounds good to me, now that the weather is warming up.

Steve

------------------

smcginnis@terraworld.net

home 20:

N 37 50.532

W094 42.371

Guest Paul Lamble

In a house with four three teenagers, there is never a good time for getting away. So just make a date, and I'll find a way to come somehow.

I know that John was talking about something in July. That's fine or any other date, at least as far as I'm concerned.

PL

Guest Steve McGinnis

I would think, in a house of four, three teenagers, ANYTIME would be a good time to get away.

------------------

smcginnis@terraworld.net

home 20:

N 37 50.532

W094 42.371

Guest trilobites

Hey guys,

Ok a new thread to follow. How about the second weekend in June? say Saturday am around 10:30. This wouold give us time to have a nice lunch, program?, and still have time to run out and visit a few caches. Thanks Steve and others for getting something started on this...

Guest Steve McGinnis

June 9 th at 10:30 is fine with me. I marked it on my calendar. Does any one have a problem with June 9 th? Next question is where. Some one needs to pick a real nice place, and tell us all the town. If the town is agreable with every one, then, that person, will have to give the coordinates to the spot, and we can all have a geocache hunt to the picnic.

------------------

smcginnis@terraworld.net

home 20:

N 37 50.532

W094 42.371

Guest turken

It's always hard to get more than 10 people or so to agree to a sigle time and place for something like this, so I'd say just have 2-3 people decide on a time and place and stick with it. If Hayley and I can make it, then great, and if not, maybe we'll meet someday on the trail.

Other than that, if you want my preference, June 9 is bad, as we'll be vacationing with my parents (and hopefully paying a visit to cache GC15D) June 2-10. My personal preference would be later in June, although there's no guarantee I'd make it then either as my summer travel schedule is not completely set.

Logan

Guest e McGinnis

O.K. Todd has sent e-mails to all of us, with a survey, asking when will and won't be a good time for all of us. What do you say, we wait until he gets his survey done, and he can compile all the data, and determine what week end, Saturday or Sunday, will be the best for the majority. Then we will let him set the date, and I'm sure every one will try to make it, but as Turken said, there will probably be some who can't. Let's wait and see what Todd comes up with.

------------------

smcginnis@terraworld.net

home 20:

N 37 50.532

W094 42.371

Guest Todd Svec

I received 8 survey responses and was able to use some info posted here for a 9th. To cut to the chase, according to everyone's responses, the best dates are: June 24th, July 22nd and July 29th. There were three groups that mentioned Sundays would be better. As mentioned in an earlier post, John has volunteered the use of the house he owns next to Schumacher park (Next to Santa Fe Cache #1). I think this is a great idea, and being that most of the people that responded said they'd prefer it in KC, this seems like the way to go.

So, let's just say June 24th, Sunday, at ???1:00PM?? at Schumacher Park. Let's PUT IT ON THE CALENDAR! Let's have some discussion about food, drinks, activities, etc. When I get back in a week I can continue organizing it unless someone else wants to take over, though I have no problem being a center point. I already have worked up a few things.

Oh, another thing to note. Out of the people replying, 18 Adults, 5 Dogs, 3 children.

Guest Todd Svec

Oh, I didn't mean to leave out that out of those three dates, let's pick one as a group. Those three were just the ones that everyone showed as available. Personally, the July dates are more atractive to me, just because I'm traveling every weekend in May and June up until then. But whatever the group decides, I'll be there if I can!

Guest rynokc

Tell us when and where and we will be there. Luckily Rhonda works for my best friend, so I sure that I can get her the day off, and I work at night. Let us know....

Ryan and Rhonda

Guest Steve McGinnis

That sounds like an excelent idea. I should have thought of that,

------------------

smcginnis@terraworld.net

home 20:

N 37 50.532

W094 42.371

Guest rynokc

Does anyone know when Todd is back?? I just figured that I will tell Liz that when we set a final date and time, I will call her and let her know. Ryan and Rhonda

Guest Steve McGinnis

I think they were only going to be gone a week, so they should be back Sunday night. I think.

------------------

smcginnis@terraworld.net

home 20:

N 37 50.532

W094 42.371

Guest rynokc

Do we have any new info for the get together. Maybe we should all say what we could bring that way it would be a little easier to know what is needed.

We will bring a pack of 18 hamburgers and some home made potatoe salad.

Ryan and Rhonda

Guest turken

Todd (and Tracy) -

As you're the ones organizing the event right now, I was wondering if you've noticed that jeremy has made it so that new caches can be classified by type, one type being "event." Once you have enough opinions to set a specific date time and place, you can then put a general invite to the public in the form of a normal cache which will show up on a search for area caches. I think it would probably generate more attention than just announcing it here on the message boards. I'm willing to bet that there are some dedicated local cachers who would like to come, but have never taken the time to explore the forums (I didn't look at the forums until after I'd been caching a long time). It would also be a great way to meet and help people who are interested in caching, but maybe haven't yet had the time or equipment to do so.

Logan

Guest trilobites

Hey guys, been out for town for a couple of weeks--job called my to Charleston SC (boy was that a rough gig!). To bad the nearest cache was more than 150 miles away!

I'll do th folowing:

1. contact KCMO Parks and Rec. and reserve the Park pavallion for June 24th.

2. Contact the local City council person (Chuck Eddy)

3. Invite the NPS folks (doubt they'll be in town)

4. Contact Garmin about someone coming to demo some stuff.

5. bring my laptop & computer projector to demo Delorme software, and a demo of mapping historic trails using GPS.

I Hope yhr 24th is a Saturaday but if not... I'll just get back to Rolla late on Sunday.

I suggest someone local bring a gas grill, I'll bring big cooler for ice and suggest eveyone who comes bring a 6-pac of soda/beer, chips, or side dish. How 'bout someone pick up some dogs, brats &/or buger pattys and we'll all chip in to cover the food cost.

Guest rynokc

Well, we don't really drink, but I will bring Dr. Pepper and Mountain Dew to drink, as well as a pack of Hamburger patties from Sam's Club. There is 18 in a pack and they are pretty good. I will also make some potatoe Salad. I will make sure that Rusty sees this so he can bring something also. Ryan and Rhonda.

Guest trilobites

Wow! Major bummer, my wife just informed me that my daughter has a national school meet in Indiana June 23-24th. Yuck! Oh well guess we'll miss out on the 1st KC area geocachers get together. Whish I'd voted for July now.

If I don't hear of a change of plans by May 17th, I'll reserve the Park and ask my brother to attand for us. Bummed out in Rolla

Guest rynokc

Looks okay in our calender as well. I will still plan on bringing the same items. Although I talked to Liz at dinner the other night and found out the her contract with the star is over in another month and she will be going back to Pittsburg. So, I doubt that she would be able to make either one, unless the extend her at the Star. Ryan and Rhonda

Guest Steve McGinnis

SOooo, It looks as if we are going to make it the 22 of July. (If the park is available. Does the park possibly have its own grill. Down here, the parks have stuff like that. Of course it is charcoal. In any event, I also have one of the small (hibachi style) gas grills. Like 10 by 20, you know the ones. $19.95 at Wally World. I'll mark the 22, on my calander, as a tentative, until Todd gets it firmed up. Looks like I now have about three more reasons to drive back up to K.C. this weekend.

------------------

smcginnis@terraworld.net

home 20:

N 37 50.532

W094 42.371

Guest trilobites

Hit the arboratum caches this weekend and really had a good time. The kids and I only picked up 3 ticks between us. Your guys don;t have ticks up here! I'm planning on send the arboratum folks a letter thanking them for allow the geocaches to be placed in their park. I wonder if a number of us shouldn't do the same. That would give them some great positive feedback and perhaps they'd talk caches up to other Parks folks.

Met with Liz Austin from the Star on Saturday--she's looking you you Todd and Tracey next!

Guest Paul Lamble

John,

The Arboretum folks have been extremely supportive of the caches. I'm even conspiring with them to place at least one more at a nearby park the same manager is responsible for. Regardless of their support, you're right, any comments to them will help the sport in general.

I'm hoping that the Star reporter will talk to the Arboretum manager for some supportive comments.

Well, we've finally got graduation behind use, and I think I may give this coming weekend over to finally getting back to cache hunting.

Paul Lamble

Guest trilobites

Schumacher Park for the picnic on July 22 (sunday I hope). I strongly suggested to Liz when we met last sat. to contact the arboratum folks.

FYI--Just heard back from my friends at the NPS. Sounds like the decision has been made that geocaches are Illegal in National Parks. That leaves us to smmoooze the state on local folks to keep this going.

Guest rynokc

For what it matters, I am personal friends with the Director Of Parks and Recreations for all of Clay County. I also have a call into the Chief Park Ranger for Clay County to clear up any problems that may have arose from talking about Watkins Mill to a Ranger. I will let you know what I find out. Ryan and Rhonda

Guest trilobites

It appears all three Santa Fe Trail Geocaches have been stolen in the last few days. Funny it happen a few days after I logged the tribute to batman cache indicating that the location was unsafe and visitors should be careful. Anyway, thanks for checking SFT #3 Paul. I've had a report #2 is missing also. Too bad as some NPS folks were coming in town this coming Sunday and wanted to look at the caches. Liz's story has not hit the paper has it? Guess were not all a honest as we appear.

Guest trilobites

Ok, on to something positive.

My wife suggested we have cold sandwiches and skip the hassle of the grill for the picnic. If that ok with folks, we'll bring a couple of pounds of sliced turkey, ham, and chicken. Someone else can bring the bread, mustard, etc. Look forward to seeing you guys on July 22nd.

P.S. Thanks Paul for checking SFTA #2 out. I doubt the Santa Fe Trail caches will be replaced. Hope this doesn't ruin things with the KCMO Parks and Rec and NPS folks.

Guest rynokc

GRILL GRILL GRILL, or sandwiches are fine. I am pretty easy going and will eat about anything. I am REALLY sorry to hear about the SFT caches, I am glad that we got to find all 3 of them first. Ryan and Rhonda

Guest Todd Svec

I thought that it would be a good idea to move the picnic to one that is better suited for our crowd. I found one that is a GREAT little park for exactly what we're doing, and perfect for doing some geocaching activities. It has two grills, 6-8 picnic tables, parking, restrooms, a large covered pavillion, and like I said above, a nice park outta the way. Here's my delimma: To reserve it, it's $45 for the day. A half day is only $25, but defined as 8:00-2:00, which probably would be plenty of time and does one really think anyone else would show up? I'm not sure if their reservation policy means you can't use it unless you reserve it, it's kinda vague, or what if anything that gets you. On Saturday, a REALLY nice day out, there was only one person and a dog there in early afternoon. Will everyone be opposed to chipping in $5-$10 to cover this, or is this just a bad idea?

Todd

Guest rynokc

Doesn't matter to me where we are, or what the cost. Just let me know how much to give and to whom. Where is the new location??? You never really say. Ryan and Rhonda

Guest Paul Lamble

No, he's not supposed to say where it is. He's only going to give the coordinates. At least, that's what I'd do.

If we're looking for a park, we could consider the Arboretum, though it's pretty much out of the way for most.

What happened to Schumacher Park? Did I miss something?

Paul Lamble

Guest Todd Svec

Yeah, I was kinda keeping the park a secret until closer to the picnic. Don't know why, just some suspense I guess. Also, I need to call tomorrow and see if it's available that day for sure. The reasons for switching are all listed above (smirk): Grills, tables, restrooms, parking, size and the parks offereing. I think after seeing it, you'll agree.

Guest Steve McGinnis

I was visiting with Todd over the weekend and we were trying to come up with some geocaching things to do at the picnic. Please go to the cache page for the Picnic cache, waypoint GCA28 for furthur discussions on this topic.

------------------

smcginnis@terraworld.net

home 20:

N 37 50.532

W094 42.371